Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum style

Be3G
Grafter

Re: Forum style

Quote from: lingbob

I have a CRT monitor and I'm not too sure I understand what you mean by backlight. I've just had a look at the various monitor settings and I can see brightness, contrast and color select. I note in the color select settings I have the option of 9300K and 6500K. It was set at 9300K and I've now changed it to 6500K and my screen is now much duller (less bright) than it was before although the actual colours don't seem to have changed any. Is this what you mean by backlight. After keeping this setting for a few minutes, I must admit that it's much easier on my eyes and I'll keep it at that for a while and see how I like it.
Regards and thanks .....

Kreynolds hit the nail on the head, however, just for future reference, the 6500K setting is definitely more suitable than 9300K (these are often known as 'colour temperature' settings) - though having said that, the effect of changing the setting should have been a bit different to that which you describe. Still, you can be certain that 6500K is the most preferable setting for anyway.
lingbob
Grafter

At first, I wasn't too keen on the new setting but after sticking with it for the whole of yesterday, it's definitely much easier on my eyes and I've also noticed that the general hue is a bit on the pink side. It's just as though I'm viewing things through a pair of rose tinted glasses  Cool
Regards .....
The_10th
Grafter

I find that the list of posts (pale purple) isn't too easy to read as well as a lack of clear boundaries and too much spacing on posts themselves.
Just my tuppence worth.
Be3G
Grafter

Ooh, well I see a bit of work's been done to the forum style - still not perfect, but definitely better than it was.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Be3G
Ooh, well I see a bit of work's been done to the forum style - still not perfect, but definitely better than it was.

Still struggling with this .... not being "difficult" and I really don't dislike monochrome per se, but the darkened post backgrounds just look washed out, like dirty washing water for want of any better expression.
Searching for inspiration as to what's still "not working" I wonder if the page at http://www.happychild.org.uk/dir/1021plus.htm#1030 is any use?  just the "POD" entry at #1030.  I fully understand that PN want to keep the posts not-that-wide,  but a bit of *contrast* and some sort of separators/lines at each side of the central bit in these forums, to separate the post borders from the margins, might restore the definition which seems lacking.
Monochrome-plus-purple might work really well, but it isn't doing (yet).  I think white works well as a post background (but it doesn't unless you give it some sort of side borders, if the wide white margins are to stay).
Not wishing to tread on any (more) toes here and you may well not like my pagebuilding style 😕  just would like to see the overall "clarity" factor here improved without losing the type of styling that the design guys seem to feel is important.
( *Penny retreats* )
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Further to all this, and numerous posts on other threads, discussions re styling of the forum/s are now largely to be found in the "Ideas, Suggestions and Wishlists" boards, mainly (though not exclusively) as summarised in the post at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=492.msg4393#msg4393 .
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.