cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Love thy neighbour, or catch 'em with a headshot?

Working for Plusnet, there can be a lot of competition in the workplace, who takes the most calls, who has the best quality of service (where our calls and tickets are checked to make sure that they are as good as they should be), and competition is good, right? It actively pushes us to ensure that we are doing the best job that we can, and as a result you guys reap the benefits by having a support team that are good at what they do and constantly strive to be better. I have always been competitive, and this doesn't end at work. At home, my better half and I like to play Bomberman on Xbox Live Arcade. Now I am a gentleman, but let my good lady beat me? I don't think so Smiley Needless to say, Lisa doesn't play me as much on Bomberman, so I need other people to beat. And for that I go online. There is nothing more humbling than playing online and getting beaten. Badly. And regularly. I have started playing Call Of Duty 4 online again, and when I first picked up this game, I played it through in one go. This is a fantastic game, and having completed it in around 20 hours, I thought that I must be pretty good. I paid for three months Xbox Live service, and immediately took it online. call_of_duty_4_modern_warfare For those of you who play online, you will know that there are people that play certain games online all of the time, and are therefore very good. I'm not one of those people, because I have a job, a fiance, a child and a social life. I proceeded to get by bottom handed to me on a plate by these people. But I refused to give up, as my competitive streak kicked in, and the knowledge that if you practice anything, you will get better at it. So I practice and practice, and get better, in that I die less, but my bottom is still being served up. You see, as I am practicing, so are they. So what is a boy to do? You can always just set up a private game with people that you know aren't on all of the time and set a more level playing field, but that can be even more embarrasing than being beaten badly by people you don't know. So I change games. Over to the PC now, and about eighteen months ago, around the time of the PlusNet Lan party, I bought the Orange Box on the PC, and immediately took a shine to Team Fortress 2. team_fortress_2_group_photo This game is something else, a real joy to play and it has a very dark sense of humour twinned with cartoony graphics to match. Again, I get my rear kicked by people who play far more than I do, but given the right class (engineer or sniper) and I can just about hold my own. I once played this game for 14 hours solid, a combination of insomnia and a free weekend. Was I better at the end? Probably, a little, but combined with a beast of a headache and tiredness kicking in, it didn't really matter. Back to the Xbox, and friendlier games with friendlier people, I take Bomberman and Worms online against strangers, and can hold my own. I suspect this is because they are more simple games, and spending all day playing them won't mean that you have specific strategies, but you will remain sharp. Even my friends are on the same level on here, John Dunning from tech support being someone that I regularly play online, and an old friend of mine, Belly (don't ask). In short, online gaming can be lots of fun. There can be downsides, like kids giving out smacktalk because that is all they can do, but you can mute them and they can vent until they are blue in the face, but there are also good friends to be made. My Xbox friends list is mainly comprised of workmates who like a game and people I have played with or against on games like Kane and Lynch, Pro Evolution Soccer and Call of Duty 4. At the end of the day, a lot of people who play online games are like you. Someone who wants to just play in a friendly environment with a healthy amount of competition. Feel free to add me on Xbox Live, my gamertag is Carl182. See you on there..... PS, and don't forget that Plusnet have a package specifically for games, Plusnet Pro. Designed specifically for online gamers, your pings and latency will be lower, and you will find this an advantage when playing – for more info see http://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/pro.shtml PPS, Thank you all for adding your comments to my blogs, and don't forget, you can always recommend something that you want me to blog. Thank you, Carl Lockley

0 Thanks
16 Comments
16 Comments
adiewoo1
Not applicable
I think you need PN to buy you a PS3 so we can have a more rounded blog 😉
clockley
Grafter
Sounds good, I am more than up for this. Failing that, how about a whipround? Wink
Andrew_B
Grafter
[stir]But there's nothing worth posting about on the PS3![/stir] I wish there was a devil emoticon Smiley
scootie1
Not applicable
Add ps3 to the blog. Dear lord no. I think carl actualy Wants people to read his blog adiewoo ;D you played Race Pro yet adiewoo, o sorry forgot it's an Xbox exclusive Smiley
Not applicable
[...] I wrote a new gaming blog, which you can read and comment on by clicking on “Blogs” over there in the right hand [...]
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
asbo you played http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_3-only_games .... o sorry ps3 only (unless you do have a ps3 lol) Cheesy
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
forgot to say /gone to watch my blu-ray movie Wink
clockley
Grafter
I think that we should arrange some sort of online weekend, where if you can get a hold of both machines (Xbox and PS3) and have a mashup. Having played on a PS3, I do want one, but as said previously, there needs to be more games out there for me to justify the price (at the minute). And seriously, Blu-ray isn't all that. The XBox, when connected through HDMI, upscales nicely thank you very much, and with my eyes, there can't be that much more to see Cheesy
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
so quality is not on your list lol
adheelios
Grafter
good blog carl, shame you ain't got a ps3 through. would have like to test your COD4 skills on it 🙂
clockley
Grafter
Adheel, you can come round anytime and take it on splitscreen lol. Get Smythe around as well, he is not too shabby on there, once he gets warmed up lol.
AndrewDC93
Not applicable
I think this could be my savior, an online gaming dedicated ISP? Brill! I find myself playing online daily on my PS3 and running a Call of Duty 4 team for my clan is something that requires - obviously - a good internet connection for playing with your across the globe clanmates. Recently there's been a few problems with my current ISP and the speed has always been diabolical for playing online; lag spikes, being booted from matches due to poor pings etc. So finding a dedicated ISP for online gaming is quite frankly amazing. Hopefully I'll be ringing up one of Plusnet's reps and hammering out a Plusnet Pro package. Cheesy
Kelly
Hero
Awesome Cheesy
James1
Not applicable
@AndrewDC93 If you have a look at the Gaming section of our Forum, I suspect that you'll find a few similarly minded fellow customers Smiley
AndrewDC93
Not applicable
Well it's been a week since I phoned PlusNet and enquired about their Pro package, all seemed well until they quoted me on the line activation price - £100. I'm astounded. £100 line activation. Okay granted the line hasn't been active for over a year or so, but £100? Wow. The fact that I'll be moving within the next 3 months, and wanting to play online ASAP, I really don't want to be paying £200 for activating both lines as I don't have that sort of money available. I think the pricey activation fee has put me off going for the deal to be honest... then again I've heard of a lot of problems with other ISP's regarding their speeds and service. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Streaming_Famil
Not applicable
I am going to return here yet again.We like this blog Smiley Love Love thy neighbour, or catch ‘em with a headshot? - Community Site News from Plusnet