Anonymous
Not applicable

macOS Mojave 10.14 first look

11 REPLIES 11
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: macOS Mojave 10.14 first look

macOS Mojave will be available this fall as a free software update for Macs introduced in mid-2012 or later, plus 2010 and 2012 Mac Pro models with recommended Metal-capable graphics cards.

Does this mean that a few years worth of older Macs will be left behind at macOS High Sierra?

These Mac models are compatible with macOS High Sierra:

• MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hmm interesting.

I use a Mac mainly now, but I have a PC too which luckily I recently fixed because the graphics card died. Any on-line gaming would cause weird effects on the graphics after a while, followed by BSOD's.

I had a spare SSD so just swapped it over and installed Windows on there. Then it happened on new Windows. Outside of gaming.

Then I thought it is not a corrupt game or the build of Windows .. it is a faulty card.

Luckily a friend of mine gave me another one and now all is fine.

Sorry for going off topic. My Mac says in about (Late 2012), so maybe I might qualify. Wait and see. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReedRichards wrote:

macOS Mojave will be available this fall as a free software update for Macs introduced in mid-2012 or later, plus 2010 and 2012 Mac Pro models with recommended Metal-capable graphics cards.

Does this mean that a few years worth of older Macs will be left behind at macOS High Sierra?

I'm OK for a few years yet....

I tend to buy new every 3 years, from John Lewis, for the 3 year warranty, though I've never needed to use it.

The older iMacs are repurposed, some as basic backups, some for use in other rooms, some donated to family.

27_ iMac 10.13.5   270618.jpgMy previous iMac from 2012 runs 10.13.5 OK, and is my main working backup, updated every month or so.

Prior to that one, another purchased 2007 worked fine for 9 years, but wouldn't run the latest software, whatever that was in 2016.

And before that .......... others

Anonymous
Not applicable

macOS Mojave is compatible with 2015 and newer MacBooks, 2012 and newer MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and iMac models, the 2017 iMac Pro, and Mac Pro models from late 2013 and mid-2010 and mid-2012 models with Metal-capable GPUs.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/06/26/macos-mojave-first-public-beta/?utm_source=MacRumors+Newsletter...

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

In contrast to the above, WIndows 10 will run on just about anything that has RAM and a hard disk.

One of the reasons that I dislike Apple as a company is its planned obsolescence policy.

Alex
Community Veteran

Apple is fine.

It does take a bit of time to get used to I must admit.

The thing I like is when you get over that, it just works and much quicker than Windows.

Yes I know it is based on UNIX and I used to use it. Love the fact you can type UNIX commands into Terminal (Command Shell for PC users Smiley).

Funny thing is, recently you have to enable the (sa accunt), it is disabled by default. I know why .. an admin sa account given you full rights can cause quite a lot of damage if you post the wrong command.

Sure PlusNet admins will know what I mean Wink

"Errm - do I run this script on the production server now or wait until 3am so it it goes belly up I can roll back and say "I've [-Censored-]ed up will look at it again".

EDIT: Correction: It is the root account I enabled. Still sacry when using it though I must admit

daveplus
Pro

VMware are working on getting Mojave installing on Fusion, which presumably will be usable on older Macs.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@daveplus if you want to see 'planned obsolence' from the Microsoft camp try running Windows 7 on a Ryzen processor.

Planned obsolescence Microsoft stylePlanned obsolescence Microsoft style

daveplus
Pro

OK, but you can still run Windows 7. My point is that Apple makes whole computers obsolete in respect of newer operating system versions.

Alex
Community Veteran

@Browni

I see what you mean.

That's a pretty nasty message (IMO) holding you to ransom?

They may as well have paraphrased it to "Because we don't want to spend the development money supporting your processor, we are going to advise you to upgrade it and scaremonger you into doing so by saying your PC is more susceptible to getting viruses, malware et al now".

Probably sponsored by the CPU manufacturers.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

'tis a bit naughty!