cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited broadband is here!

Plusnet Unlimited broadband banner Following the teaser announcement at the weekend, we're really excited to announce the launch of our brand new range of broadband  products. Offering a truly unlimited experience, Plusnet Unlimited has no usage allowance, no hidden fair usage policies and no compromise on the speeds you can achieve. Also available is Plusnet Essentials which takes the place of the old Plusnet Value product. Plusnet Unlimited offers ‘up to 16Mbps’ speeds and unlimited usage with no throttling/speed limits from as little as £9.99/month. Prices for the ‘up to 76Mbps’ fibre equivalent will start from £19.99/month. Plusnet Essentials and Essentials Fibre have peak-time usage allowances of 10GB and 40GB respectively (overnight usage is free) and prices start from just £5.99/mnth. New customers switching to Plusnet can take advantage of a half price promotion that we'll be running over the festive season and into the New Year. Our new products are available right now over on our website. Existing customers can also upgrade online.

If you have any questions before taking the plunge then read our handy guide about how fibre broadband works

This is what our CEO - Jamie Ford - had to say about the new products:

“We pride ourselves on offering value for money products, with a first class service. As new broadband-enabled devices continue to hit the market, we felt now was the right time to launch truly unlimited broadband products. “Customers’ internet habits have changed considerably over the last 12 months. People are using more bandwidth and services that demand faster speeds but at the same time, we know some people still want a broadband supply for limited day-to-day use at the best price point possible. We believe that our new Essentials and Unlimited products meet either demand.”

So what are you waiting for? Will you be upgrading to one of the new packages, or are you happy where you are? Is Unlimited the much-welcomed Christmas present you weren't expecting? Let us know by sounding off in the comments below ...

0 Thanks
108 Comments
108 Comments
Andrew_Holland
Not applicable
Excellent news, have just upgraded from Plusnet Extra to Unlimited! Thank you Plusnet!
Paulgarb
Dabbler
Signed up already - very easy to do - all I have to do is wait for the next billing date! This is a great product from Plus Net - properly unlimited broadband at a really good price but the real kicker is the magnificent customer service that back it all up. Since I switched at the beginning of November I have been hugely impressed - I had forgotten that some companies actually do value and look after their customers AND treat them like adults.
Caroline3
Not applicable
Excellent! I have now ordered Unlimited Fibre for the same price as I was paying for 250 GB Fibre. Thanks Plusnet! Very pleased.
Terry_Tinsley
Not applicable
Been with PN several years now. Only ever raised 4/5 tickets, every time been happy with the way they have been dealt with. Just signed up for unlimited, which I should get on 26/12. A nice Christmas present. Thanks.
Lynne2
Not applicable
I'm happy with what I've got, thanks. I was tempted to switch to Plusnet Essentials (from Value; I only use around 5gb pm) to save a massive 50p pm, but when I saw the extreme speed throttling in the evening, reduced "up to" download speed, and a significantly reduced estimated d/l speed, I figured what I pay now is far more valuable. Thanks but no thanks. Smiley
Derek_Stafford
Not applicable
Paul is so right great service and customer care. So glad I joined. Derek
inabox
Browser
No brainier. Just moved from the old 'unlimited' to the new unlimited, save a good chunk of dosh per month. Thanks Plusnet.
vetterlein
Grafter
Just stumbled into this ... doing my usual check to see if my (250Gb) usage was "safe" ... the time I waste doing that each day ... this sounds too good to be true .... might wait a day or so , to see if there's a catch. Just came off a genuine unlimited F9 package a month or two back , when F9 throttled it down to 512kps ... still unlimited , just slow 🙂 ... and got 250Gb package ... now I check every day it's "safe" (right now it's 20Gb for example @ about mid month) ...this would mean I could actually use by iPlayer (built into TV but unusable due to limits) ...golloy ... just too late for Christmas movies I guess.
Peter17
Not applicable
@Lynne - I'm baffled by you suggesting there's extreme speed throttling. Feel sure that in one of the threads on the Community section where Bob (and others) have been answering questions for a number of days, Bob says that there's no difference between the 'Value' and new 'Essentials' accounts wrt speed. Of course I could be mistaken, in which case someone will be along to correct me, but I think the only 'downside' is starting a fresh 12 month contract if you were to switch (and for most people, if they're happy with PlusNet, that's not a big problem). http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php can be used to show what the speed limits are on Plusnet Value account - there are no figures defined in the tool (so far) for the new accounts that have just been released.
Peter17
Not applicable
@Bob - hope you see the comments on the other blog entry (Christmas is coming early). Banner graphic for promoting PN shows wrong price at present, and someone needs to consider Openreach discount offer (and passing on savings to customers) January to June 2013 too...
Peter17
Not applicable
One annoying thing I see is that if I get a new phone line from you and have fibre service (Unlimited Fibre Broadband and calls) on that, whereas a new customer will get a discount for 6 months (paying 9.99/month instead of 19.99), it would be classed as an upgrade (my existing ADSL on my Primus phone line would be swapped to another ISP). Are you offering any incentives to existing, loyal customers, who upgrade to fibre + calls ?
pimpernel
Grafter
I echo what Web Dude says. Loyal customers of Plusnet have to pay X2 what new customers are getting. I realise this is to attract additional customers, but how about giving us what stay with you an occasional bonus - such as a "free" month now and again?
danger11
Grafter
can they set manual line profiles? (Like talktalk)? Can i use over 760GB Bandwidth Per Month? Without Getting Letters or disconnections Do you support gamer modes (Fastpath i believe its called, basically gives low ping)? Do you support static IP's Do you support ipv6
dvvrue95
Grafter
I am in a so called "Market 1" [as defined by OF-COM] telephone exchange. So I don't see much incentive to move to the new unlimited offering, particularly in view of the 12 month lock in. For me this doesn't seem to square up with the statement above "offering value for money products" - depends where you are located I guess.
tijara33
Pro
Well done Plusnet & many thanks. My "Unlimited" service will be live on 30 Dec, at no additional charge! It's just in time as my Sky Broadband Connector, which connects my Sky+ box to my wireless network, arrives later this week. Now I can watch BBC I-Player through my TV. 🙂
tijara33
Pro
"Webdude". When your PN contract expires, threaten to leave & they'll do a deal, that's how the market works. I've been doing it with Sky TV for years. Also do you really want to be stuck with BT's lousy customer service?
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@Web Dude, answered the banner question on the other post. Existing customers wanting to discuss what they're paying us are best advised to call and speak to our Customer Services or Customer Options Team. @DanielM, the answers to some of your questions depends on whether or not you're talking about fibre or ADSL "can they set manual line profiles?" We can influence the profiles for a 21CN ADSL2+ connection but not fibre. "Can i use over 760GB Bandwidth Per Month? Without Getting Letters or disconnections" If you must ;) "Do you support gamer modes (Fastpath i believe its called, basically gives low ping)?" Yes on ADSL. On fibre the application of interleaving is outside of our control. "Do you support static IP's" Yes, £5 one-off charge. "Do you support ipv6" No.
GJenkins
Grafter
Well you've done yourselves no favours here! This should have been made available a long time ago especially on fibre. I have already switched my phone back to talktalk and the engineer is comming out in January to switch my Fibre. Its unlimited with no traffic management except for a couple of hours in early evening. Shame you left it so late, I 'might' have just stayed.
Chris23
Not applicable
Do you supoprt Static IP's for your Fiber Lines? What is the underlying make and model of the supplied router?
Paulgarb
Dabbler
I am also baffled by Lynne's earlier comment about "extreme speed throttling in the evening, reduced "up to" download speed, and a significantly reduced estimated d/l speed" - none of those things make any sense in terms of this product. Happy to accept any statement backed up by hard evidence but good luck with that 😉
Peter17
Not applicable
"do you really want to be stuck with BT's lousy customer service?" (tijara33) - I don't use BT for my line rental at present - I'm using Primus which is cheaper, monthly, than either PN or BT 'line rental saver' rates (paying a year's line rental up front). My main issue is that I am considering using PN for a brand new (my second) phone line, and getting a new install of fibre broadband, but they pass on a 50% saving to brand new customers and don't to someone who has been with PN for years (I think it will be 10 years at end of next March). There is no other ISP I particularly want to move to, as I have a fixed IP with PN and it serves me quite well, at a sensible {low} price, so I'm not really in a position where I would feel happy threatening to leave when they might just turn round and say, "sorry to see you go, goodbye and here's your MAC" !
vetterlein
Grafter
In case it was unclear. I started with Force9 with an UNLIMITED package (all of 512kb at the time 🙂 ) costing £18.99. PlusNet to their credit credit kept up their end of the contract ...and when the speeds went up, so did mine. Ended up at 10Mpbs ... but then I guess a lawyer got a look and and realised while I was entitled to unlimited download, they only had to offer 512Kb , so that was what they did. I got 2Gb per month (costing £18.99) then they throttled my speed down to 512Kb. So feeling rather forced , I switched to the Fibre Extra , which while had a 250Gb limit (speed a bit quicker (but so you would notice ... nothing like quoted speeds) So it looks like I can switch back to an unlimited package .... I just worry that eventually they will again use some small print to throttle me back to 512kb. So let's see how our 760Gb gamer gets on 🙂
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@Chris, yes static IPs are available for a one-off charge of £5. the router we ship is a Thomson 582n.
martinsturmey
Hooked
I switched my brother's account this afternoon (at his request) from Value to Essentials. At the end of the process the system quoted a download speed of 4Mbps for Essentials compared to an existing speed on Value of 5.5Mbps. I'm hoping that this is just a result of Plusnet changing the way that it quotes download speeds from the time when he switched to Value to how it quotes now. If there is a change in the actual download speed as a result of switching to Essentials then this is certainly not what I was expecting.
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@mgs, the speed estimates are taken from here - http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
Kelly
Hero
vetterlein > That sounds more like you have a fault which is limiting your speed, rather than anything we've done deliberately. I'll see if I can find your account and have a look!
Sres
Dabbler
Odd, I was on Plusnet Unlimited paying £25 a month, just changed to the same product for £19. Plusnet Unlimited (Old) would slow down at 20:10 every night, this caused games to play rubbish, at 22:10 it generally returns to normal. I'll see how it goes...
vetterlein
Grafter
My current speed (around 30Mb) is indeed line limited the prev (10Mb) was line limited ... both are perfectly fine (and in practice, very similar) ..the killer was the 512kb it got throttled down after many years of quite reasonable speed. [so there is nothing to see right now all is fine ... if you have an interest, read the tickets] ... but there is nothing "wrong" just a "lack of trust" (once bitten) on my part which make be cautious of "improved service" ... pity really because I was really happy for many years and the support was excellent ... just some bean counter intervening and spoiling it all ... for no real reason.
knorrie
As someone who very nearly left Plusnet after 11 years earlier in the year, the provision of an 'offical' Unlimited option is a somewhat overdue, but very welcome move, and I have signed up today. I am a bit intrigued though at how confident you are in the forums that your increased capacity can cope with what may well be a lot of additional demand. Is there any information on the site about what upgrades/capacity provision you have put in place for this? I guess we'll soon see if the principle of 'induced demand' affects broadband usage in the same way as road congestion (building more/wider roads just leads to increased congestion). Let's just hope you don't get too many 760Gb users in any case 🙂
Gel
Aspiring Champion
No reason to change due to being on a Market 1 exchange, with no LLU's. Current package, which Plus Net wrongly still show as 2gb allowance; should show 10gb. ie THIS IS YOUR CURRENT BROADBAND PACKAGE PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 1 (Annual Contract) £9.99 per month /2GB Usage Allowance Annual Contract 'Essentials Contracted' offers me what I have already for £3 pm more; no thanks :) Bring on some competition, so my rate comes down.
Gordon3
Not applicable
Hi I'm on an old PAYG product and would be very interested in changing to one of the new products - I've been a customer since 2003, and before that on dialup my product came with webspace that i use - but the new products don't it says somewhere that you can carry over your website if you upgrade on inquiring about this i was told that though this is true, you have to then ftp into the site at least once a month or it's deactivated - which seems pretty mean to me ! It would be easy to forget after a while, and loose the website - and it's not at all the same as having the webspace carried over without a change so then i've looked into transferring the domain out to a different host - and was told that as soon as i change the TAG on the domain "Unfortunately due to how our system works your domain will not point to anything during the transfer" - so i would loose email and website access for some indeterminate time while this confusing an mystical process happens So now I have no idea what to do and I'm feeling a bit fed up with plus net !
Gordon3
Not applicable
someone phoned me and this was sorted out - can this be deleted - it's currently in some kind of spam check ?
Grff
Grafter
Am I right in reading that changing your exsiting fibre package to the unlimited would put me into another 18 month contract? I don't see any mention of download sites. Are the likes of Windows Updates/akamai hosted content still throttled, or is it truly unlimited?
Carl
Not applicable
Thank god Smiley 56gb in the first 3 days of being with plusnet and upgrading for no extra charge Well done Better than my last ISP
GrahamF
Grafter
Hi I'm currently on the Value package at £6.49 per month giving me 10 gig usage per month with unlimited overnight usage which appears perfectly adequate for my needs. Apart from the 50p reduction in monthly cost what are the other advantages in switching to the new Essentials package. I notice that if I switch I'll be tied in to a new 12 month contract, and probably also lose the associated webspace which although I don't currently use is still available to me. Also are multiple Email addresses available with the new Essentials package?
tijara33
Pro
Webdude. Well just do it & stop complaining. Easy.
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@Paul Talbot, the old Unlimited product had some pretty strict rate limits applied to it - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/plusnet_unlimited_archive.shtml#trafficManagement The new Unlimited doesn't - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml @knorrie, subscribe to our service status feed. We announce capacity increases there. e.g. http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1353517724.htm @Gel, your product originally had a *default* usage allowance of 2GB. You signed up to a special offer which isn't reflected on our website when you're logged in. We've few people on this product and we don't sell it any more so I'd be surprised if any time was invested into fixing the error. @Gordon, not sure why you were told that about FTP'ing to your webspace but it's not true. You wouldn't lose mail etc. when transferring your domain out if you can get the gaining registering agent to create the zone file ahead of the transfer. They may be reluctant to do this though. @Carl, yes it would start anew 18 month contract. Download sites run at line speed on the new Unlimited product. @GrahamF, you wouldn't lose your webspace and you'd retain your email addresses. There's little benefit other than the reduction in cost.
having spent the last week trawling the web for unlimited packages, low and behold i find you have beaten the market. WHY NO EMAIL roger
dergal
I seriously would not recommend leaving plusnet or Talk Talk - Plusnet is not perfect, no one is, but the difference in customer service is quite incredible, if you save yourself a couple of quid but take months to get any problem (including major ones) fixed well ... My mother had to threaten legal action after her phone line was left unusable to the point she had to get a second line with Virgin. Price is one thing, but I would happily pay a couple of quid more per month for great service rather than gamble on someone like Talk Talk... !! Back on topic - Unlimited is awesome, and for the price I am paying, speed etc.. I can't believe it! - iPlayer and smart TV tech is a major part of the future!!
Lynne2
Not applicable
@Bob Pullen - Can you confirm *exactly* what a switch from Value to Essentials would mean? Your FAQs don't cover this basic question as they heavily focus on Unlimited. Is it simply a new 12 month contract but with a 50p reduction in monthly cost and a reduction from "up to 20MB" down to "up to 16MB" download speeds? I'm wondering what the "little benefit" you mention is, or if there are any other disadvantages we should know about. I am now considering going ahead with an upgrade, but await a full, clear comparison of these packages first. Thank you. @Web Dude - I didn't realise Value already had such extensive line speed limits on certain tasks. I can see from wading through hundreds of comments and the link you gave (thanks) that Value & Essentials are identical on this matter, so my first point was incorrect. @Paul Garbett - See above re my first two points (point 2 still applies). The third "significantly reduced estimated d/l speed" comment I made I have since found out from similar user comments is down to Plusnet quoting ADSL instead of ADSL2 estimates at application. I understand d/l speeds will not change.
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@Lynne, it means a reduction in 50p per month if you recontract for 12 months. If you move to the non-contract option it will cost you £2 more each month. The traffic management and usage allowances are identical. Value - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/plusnet-value-archive.shtml#trafficManagement Essentials - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml There will be no reduction from from "up to 20MB" down to "up to 16MB". The provisioned speed on the two packages is identical. There have just been changes made to the way we're allowed to market the product, meaning we have to call it 'up to 16mbps' rather than 'up to 20mbps'.
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@Roger, there will be emails over the coming months and keep your eyes peeled for our new TV ad on/after Boxing Day.
gollum
Grafter
I am a long standing customer and am very tempted by the new products which would save me £11 a month, free me from the tyranny of continually checking that the the monthly usage will not be exceeded and avoid the old style traffic management. I do however have a question which I do not think is answered in the FAQs. I am on a Tier 1 exchange, ADSL 1 with a 832kb upload speed, the 20:1 variant (an anomaly from a now long forgotten product). If I upgrade, can I continue with this? You have addressed the issue of static IP, webspace and domain which also came with the old product and which I understand can be retained on upgrading. I hope the 20:1 is the same as it is helpful when uploading to web servers. I ask here rather than raising this as ticket because the answer may be of interest to others - there must be someone else with this type of package!
chesser
Not applicable
Will these new products be rolled out to madasafish customers?
bluenose
I am currently on the 60gb "extra" package £11.49 per month currently not contracted (line with BT paid in advance until March 13 but then might change line to PN). Stumbled across the unlimited product yesterday - disappointed that existing PN customers miss out on the half price deals etc and that if I change the product (extra 11.49 to unlimited 9.99 (c)or 12.49 (uc) it only takes effect at the next payment due date (for me 18 Jan 13) - don't understand why there is this inflexible approach. Also are there any disadvantages in switching from the 60gb extra to the unlimited (small print does my head in!) Compliments of the season by the way
GJenkins
Grafter
@gerry OMG you are so right about talktalk, their customer service is dreadful. My fibre optic broadband got cut off today, I had no notification, and plusnet say talktalk ordered this cancellation.. talktalk didnt seem to know anything about it and said it was plusnet that ordered the cancellation. Right now Im without internet, Im actually at a friends house as I type this. I spent 4 hours on the phone repeating myself over and over and over to various talktalk departments and I've gotten no-where. The people who answer the phone think I'm trying to place a new order with them, no matter how slowly and carefully I say my words. I then get put to another department and end up doing the same again, before getting cut off. The whole thing has been very stressful, and actually caused me to break down today as Im also dealing with a family member who is critically ill. We cant even get on Skype to call family who are living abroad to give them updates. Someone at plusnet called today around 5:30pm to say that if I call back they can get my accounts back to plusnet and upgrade me to an unlimited account. According to family at home they have been unable to make calls to the hospital and able to recieve them so this looks like another thing I need to get sorted out! This is headstress I really cant be dealing with at the moment and its all 'thanks' to talktalk who's main priority seems to be getting me some free TV box which will actually cost a small fortune each month on top! It turns out that my friends neighbour is already in contact with BBC Watchdog whom are collecting stories regarding talktalk and she has a film crew comming out sometime early in the new year - things are THAT bad for her and she says to me that my complaint seems even worse than hers did. Shes going to be calling one of the reporters in the morning with my details and my talktalk nightmare, Im sure they are going to be interested. In the mean time this could be a nice little PR coup for PlusNet Smiley
bluenose
Looking to changing to the unlimited (from 60gb extra) just about to press the button to proceed, but noticed "Current product(60gb extra): 17Mb (down) / 1Mb(up) New product (unlimited):7.5Mb Therefore on the basis of this is the unlimited potentially slower than the current product? - or is there a new way of clarifying product speed?
LenAsh
Grafter
Puzzled - just (as in this week) started with the Extra BB package (including Home Phone and Line) for £5.49 pm discounted. My expected line speed from signing up was 11MB d/l and indeed it is 13MB - the same as the previous ISP (SKY LLU), as expected. I now see that I could have opted for unlimited (as SKY was) for £4.99 pm. Bad timing on my part or PN sales being deliberately secretive... The odd thing is that the expected d/l speed is now showing as 7.5MB d/l. Any ideas why that might be? The price thing makes me feel a little duped to be honest - my BB usage is already racking up after just 3 days...
Laurence1
Not applicable
Having put in my request for the new "unlimited" service can I make 2 comments. 1. an e-mail to confirm that you had received the request and actioned it would have been nice. (I do sometimes make mistakes). 2. I find it a bit parsimonious as a long time Plusnet customer to have to wait for unlimited. It would have been nice to know that my usage from the date of my request would not have been charged.
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@gollum, Max Premium (which is the provisined product you're referring to) is available, but it costs an extra £7.83 per month. More details here - trials.plus.net. @chesser, there are no imediate plans to refresh the Madasafish product set. @Paul Cowen, the scheduled account change is a system limitation I'm afraid. There are no disadvantages performance-wise with the switch from Extra to Unlimited. @bluenose, that's a known problem. It's giving you estimates for the 'up to 8Mbps' provisioned product. You've no need to worry, you can continue regardless and there'll be no change to your speed. @jennymanda, you can move to Unlimited but the change wouldn't take effect until your next billing date. You'd also lose any promotional discount you currently have. Our sales team can't disclose details about up-and-coming products to early for commercial reasons. @Laurence, the lack of a notification email is something we're aware of and hope to have implemented for next year. Your usage allowance won't be changed until your next billing date when the account change takes place.