cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on Plusnet ADSL or FTTC

Would you like to use a BT Homehub 3 or 2 on your Plusnet ADSL or FTTC service? If so following the steps below will get you connected.
These instructions also work on the Homehub 4 and 5
First a word of caution: the Homehub 1 is locked down to BT Retail; it can be unlocked but doing this is at your own risk. Sorry we can't provide guidance for this here.
Note: If your Homehub has previously been used on a BT service, you may find that it is broadcasting as a WiFi hotspot such as BT-WIFI or BT-FON. To disable this you need to do a factory reset. With power on press the reset button on the back of the Hub using a paper clip or similar and hold for 20 seconds. Your Hub lights will go out and your Hub will restart.

1. Connect your computer to the BT Homehub using an Ethernet cable or via Wi-Fi
  2. Open your preferred browser and type or paste http://bthomehub.home - or - 192.168.1.254 into its address bar
  3. If you have logged on to the Hub settings before enter your password. If not enter the admin password (found on a pull out card on back of the Hub). If you are prompted to enter a new password (a preferred one) follow the prompts to do so
  4. Click Settings (along top tabs) then at the bottom you will see 'Enter your Broadband username and password (for non BT Total Broadband customers)'
  5. Click on that item and you will see two lines
    Username - bthomehub@btbroadband.com
    Password -
  6. Change these to your broadband username and account password, ie
    Username - <yourplusnetusername>@plusdsl.net (don't include the <>)
    Password - The password you used to sign up to Plusnet

That's it your Homehub should now connect to Plusnet.
Hope this helps!
I am one happy user using the BT Homehub 3 type B and have used the type A (both similar). The same steps apply for both versions, and for the BT Homehub 2 if you have one. For information, the type A & B are different brands, A is Gigaset/Sagem, B is Huawei with Broadcom chip. Type B is better on fibre connections.
It is worth mentioning that these Homehubs can't be configured to respond to pings from the WAN (Internet). This means that the Thinkbroadband Broadband Quality Monitor is not supported.
Please comment below if anything in this article needs tweaking.
Acknowledgement. This article is based on a post by JamieDanjoux in the Community forums here
11 Comments
11 Comments
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Just to add, same instructions apply to the Home Hub 4.
stitchyf
Not applicable
I am having problems setting up a home hub 2 my user name and password were not valid in the hh.2
we were transfered to plusnet by Vodafone when the Vodafone at home service closed and we still use the .vodafoneathome.com user login for the router not the plusnet login
has anybody else managed to set up a hh2 after being transfered from Vodafone
I have the hh.2 and if I cant get this to work a new hh.3 is available if needed
any help would be appreciated
tharweb
Hooked
I recently migrated from Infinity and I'm still using the HH3. Is there any way of disabling BT FON/BT WiFi after leaving BT?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Have you tried doing a factory reset as described in the Note in italics near the top of this article?
jackwelland
Dabbler
i'm sure that i read somewhere that bt, under certain circumstances, can charge for the homehub and ask for it to be sent back when you leave bt.
£49 for a second hand router and you don't keep it.
bit of a cheek eh!
jackw
michaeljenner
Not applicable
Hi, can anyone help me please.
I am trying to connect my Plusnet fibre broadband to a BT Homehub 2.0 cos the Technicolour one is rubbish. My question is where do the cables go in the back of the Homehub? I've connected the mains power cable and the Ethernet cable connecting the box to my PC but I can't see which port the cable from the fibre modem goes into on the Homehub. On the Technicolour router the port is marked with a red bar.
Chris
Legend
Hi Michael,
I don't think the homehub 2 supports Plusnet connections unfortunately.
BOWLER
When I click procedure 5 all I get is the hub is not connected to the broadband.
jonpink
Not applicable
I came down this morning to find my BT broadband had been disconnected. Found this article and within 5 minutes was up and running again. Thanks for the article and a great start for Plusnet!
Geordiegal1
Not applicable
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm sure your hubs are still working with PN and working great!
Jamie
skxxx
Thanks! I was having problems accessing my work vpn through the new plusnet router. After hours of searching and trying different fixes, found this and all up and running on my old BT homehub 2!