cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing gaming compatibility with the Thomson TG585v8 (XBOX,PS3,PC)

This article shows you how to increase compatibility between the Thomson TG585v8 router and some multiplayer internet games, specifically those on the XBOX and PS3.

For the Technicolor TG582n, these commands are not required and a setting called Game Mode can be enabled/disabled under the 'Game & Application Sharing' page.

If you are confronted with the error on your game that your connection NAT type is strict, then this will allow you to set it to open.
You will need to connect to the router via telnet.
If you have Windows 7 or Windows Vista then you will need to install the telnet application first.
To enable telnet go to control panel → programs and features→ turn windows features on and off, then tick the box next to telnet client and click OK. Windows will now spend a few minutes enabling this feature.
Enabling Telnet in Windows Vista and Windows 7
Once telnet is enabled you need to connect to the router.
Press the Windows Key (to the right of the Ctrl key) and R together.
In the run box that appears delete all the text and type telnet 192.168.1.254 and click OK.
You will now be asked for a username, enter your router username, this is usually admin.
You will now be asked for a password, enter your router password, this is usually the serial number and must be entered in capital letters.
You are now logged into the command line interface of the router.
Copy and paste the following commands into the window.
 :connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=69
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3074
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3478-3479
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=88
 saveall
 Assuming there were no errors, please restart your XBOX/PS3/PC, you should have no further problems with strict NAT.
178 Comments
178 Comments
bobpullen1
Not applicable
I's suggest saving the commands by issuing:
saveall
followed by:
exit
Although if the commands errored in the first place then I'm not sure how useful that advice is?
mattturner
Grafter
As stated in the article, the first 4 commands may produce an error. This is to clear the connection bindings to allow new ones to be created, if they produce an error it means there is nothing to be cleared in preparation for creating new connection bindings.
The last 5 commands are the important ones, if these fail then please let us know.
kennychaos
YES! It worked! I love you so much! Please, marry my sister! Great, simple guide too. Thank you so much. P.S, my router is V7 and playing MW3, PS3.
LOVE ALL ROUND! Cheesy
Mitas
Hooked
This worked for me on the PC version with a v7 router.
daddycoolj
This worked here, big thanks.
It didn't at first so I re booted the router and hey ho!!!
Just in case any of you folks forget, re boot the router!!
mac31uk
hi there. can someone help please.
it says to fix my setings i need telnet! what is this and where can i get it. (i have windows 7).
thanks very much
mattturner
Grafter
@mac31uk
Telnet is explained in the article above, however nevermind, I've updated your router remotely, everything should be working fine for you now. Please let me know how you get on.
Matt
mac31uk
i'm a wee tad simple like that bud. sorry.
didn't realise you could do that sort of thing.
thanks very much, its much appreciated.
lindon
mac31uk
works a treat. thanks very much once again.
philmoze
Not applicable
Within Telnet, after every line of command I get a message saying 'Unknown Command'...is this usual?
mattturner
Grafter
Hi Phil,
Unknown Command Errors aren't normal, I'm not sure why you'd see these.
To help you out I've just updated your router remotely, please try it out and let me know if it has fixed your problem.
Cheers,
Matt
bradkat
Dabbler
Hi Matt, these instructions seem to work, but only for a day...the next day, when you switch the xbox on, the NAT has gone back to strict...any suggestions. Have also tried resetting router, but still the same.
mattturner
Grafter
Hi Bradkat,
I can see that the settings haven't remained in your router, I've reapplied them for you, please let me know if they are persistent or if they disappear again.
Thanks,
Matt
bradkat
Dabbler
Hi Matt, working fine...thanks a million!!!!!!
tedmoo
Wow it worked! BUT had to borrow a windows laptop and every time the router resets or the next day have to repeat the process to open NAT again. Have also noticed problems joining a friend on the same router network and some problems staying connected to Wifi after doing this. Annoying TBH
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@tedmoo, does running the following commands after what's suggested help the problem where the router's 'forgetting' the settings?
saveall
exit
tedmoo
Awesome, Thanks for the quick reply! Will try when I get windows back. Wish could do on a mac easily, I know you can do telnet on Mac but don't know how. Cheers again
cammymoore
Not applicable
Hi same problem here.
Have done as requested above and still no luck, would it be possible for you guys to do it remotely?
Spoke to technical guy on phone who was very helpful and he recommended posting here and requesting help from you guys.
Thanks
cammymoore
Not applicable
Tried calling last night and was given link to port forwarding...this has failed and left us with no Internet connection whatsoever....
bradkat
Dabbler
Hi Matt, for some reasons those settings aren't staying in the router, NAT has gone back to strict after 2 days..any help much appreciated, thanks again.
mattturner
Grafter
@Bradkat,
I've just checked your router and the settings I applied are definitely still there. Perhaps you could try turning the router off an on again? What device are you trying to use? Xbox/PS3?
Matt
bradkat
Dabbler
Hi Matt, I'm using Xbox..do you suggest turning router off at the end of the day? Have been keeping it left on.
mattturner
Grafter
@Bradkat,
I've checked your router more thoroughly than before and can see lots and lots of out of memory errors. It's possible that we've been a bit over zealous on the use of this facility and I don't think the router can keep up (are you downloading torrents by any chance? it would be interesting to know if torrent downloading could have this impact).
I've scaled back the settings to the minimum which should work perfectly. Please let me know how you get on.
Matt
tedmoo
@Bob Pullen
The 'Save All' command must not have worked, because logging onto PS3, MW3 has gone back to Strict?? Also this telnet thing is causing a problem with being able to connect to the internet, randomly it seems. My mac tells me theres no IP Address available, therefore I have to reset the router again! (Especially annoying as it's in my mates room, and he's away, so had to turn all the trip switches off! haha)
Thanks for your help, thinking that buying a better router will solve this problem! But it would be easier if it would just stay NAT Open and stop causing the internet to stop working.
Cheers
colehill2
The first time i tried this it worked perfectly. Since then my NAT type has returned to strict and when i retry this procedure nothing happens. What is the problem here? is it the router
daddycoolj
Oh dear I've now the same trouble.....back to strict NAT
I've run the commands including saveall and exit a couple of times now and the only way I can get open nat is to reboot the router every time I want to play MW3 on xbox live.
The settings seem to have been saved in the router but why does it need re booted each time?
Octaz
Not applicable
Yeah, the NAT doesn`t stay open even with the saveall command...
Very frustrating =(
Octaz
Not applicable
I used this guide, and so far it seems to be working:
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/TG585v7/Call_of_Duty_-_Modern_Warfare_3.htm
mattb26
Dabbler
I couldn't find a mw3 game. Took ages just searching. NAT was always open. Followed the port instructions and bingo, finds a game instantly!
adamali
Not applicable
i have the same problems as others
done all the steps and it became NAT type 2 open
a day later back to strict (type3)
So i dun everything again an bak to open an naw back to strict i have to also re boot each time i like to play
what can i do abot this someone please help Sad
Kelly
Hero
Everyone who is needing to reboot the router: Are you running any torrents at the point you have to reboot the router?
paulmcevadd
Not applicable
done all that is asked but it just says unknown command simalar to the 1st response by smiles 1984 . i thought i was logged in
mattb26
Dabbler
Maybe I spoke to soon. Tried to find a game tonight. Unable to find a game, searches for ages then eventually I get dumped into a small lobby which is laggy as hell!!
I repeat the instructions into the router but this time no improvement, just endless searching for a game. Cannot even get messages from xbox live friend to join party. Its becoming a little frustrating at the mo!!
tedmoo
I agree with all the comments! damn frustrating. Plusnet should give us better routers!! Or sort the damn problem!
mattb26
Dabbler
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Thomson-Alcatel/SpeedTouch585/Call_of_Duty_-_Modern_Warfare_3.htm
Now it all works!! (for now)
daddycoolj
mattb26 that did work for one day here, then strict nat again.
I've done all the other telnet things suggested on this forum but I've just been re booting the router every time I want to play MW3
Googling around the other day and the only permanent solution I see at the moment is a new router (Netgear?) as the issue seems to be the Thomson router.
DavidLV92
Hi Matt Turner
I have tried a few different things to sort my Nat out but its still the same can you help me ? Because i can't even seem to get into a game online...
mattb26
Dabbler
@daddycollj, It all seems to be working at the mo. However if it starts playing up again I'll probably end up getting a decent router. Might try updating the firmware.....?
CharlieB
Not applicable
Hey, i've tried doing this but it just comes up as unknown command and fails to work. Help? Sad
Moncrieffe500
Grafter
matt, is there any chance u can have a look at this for me please??? ive tryed all of the above and still get restrictive firewall on fifa 12 on the xbox, ive done it all reset my computer xbox e.t.c. can u have a look at this for me?Huh
Philp291
Not applicable
Hi Matt I have follwed the steps like you instructed but i still get Nat:Strict come up everytime I turn my PS3 off, could you please help me
bradkat
Dabbler
If it's any help, I have been switching router off at night and so far, NAT has stayed open every day. When I was getting all the problems before with NAT, router had been kept on.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Hi folks,
If you've tried the above and find you can't do it for some reason I can do it remotely for you. In order to identify you make sure you raise a ticket FAO Joanne Pilson with the request and post back here with the ticket number.
Thanks.
Jojo
CharlieB
Not applicable
What do you mean? how do i do that? I'm not very technical Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Hi CharlieB,
Click on this link
https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22966&wizard_id=38
Then type in the box:
FAO Joanne Pilson, Can you please remotely set up my Thomson router for game mode settings.
Then click "Send your question to the support team"
Jojo Smiley
hughesg1
Not applicable
My NAT type switches back to strict as soon as i turn my PS3 off
Any ideas?
hughesg1
Not applicable
I sent in the question and got a reply saying nothing could be done and a link back here
please help
chriskerry
Not applicable
I have inputted this code several times now using telnet etc.. and now when ive turned my ps3 off, it just sets back to Strict NAT type.. What the heck do i do now? Surely i wont have to do that everytime I want to play COD..? Helpp please!
oscarpk2
Not applicable
I have requested a the router to be changed remotely, ticket #49584357
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Hi guys,
those of you who are finding it reverts back, if you're using torrents then you may have to reboot your router once your torrents are finished.
For those of you who have raised support tickets I'll look into that. However, if you could send me the ticket numbers that would be really helpful.
Thanks.
Jojo Smiley