There will also be a microfilter, a quick install guide and a sticker to record your wireless security details.The wireless aerial is packed separately and you will need to attach this. The user guide on the CD will help you use the D-Link 2640B's advanced features. [Top]
Before you start
Make sure your broadband account has been activated and that you have your broadband username and password. Find these in your welcome mail or the Connection Settings section of the Member Centre.
The D-Link 2640B supports two methods of connecting your computer; Ethernet or Wireless. Your computer will need a wireless adapter if you want to connect via Wireless. [Top]
Setting up your hardware
1. Plug one of the provided microfilters into your telephone socket. You'll need one microfilter for each device that uses your telephone line (Sky, fax, additional handsets). Check our Guide To Fitting Microfilters for more information.
2. Plug the grey telephone cable into the microfilter socket marked DSL.
3. Plug the other end of the grey telephone cable into the DSL socket on the back of the router.
4. Connect the power adapter and switch the router on with the power button at the back.
5. The power light will initially be red and the DSL light will flash. Wait until they stop flashing and turn solid green before proceeding to the next section.
Wireless security is disabled by default on the D-Link DSL 2640B. Its a good idea to enable this to prevent unauthorised access to your network.
1. Open your web browser and browse to http://192.168.1.1/ and log in. The default username and password are both admin.
2. Click 'Wireless Setup' on the left side of the 'Setup' page to access the wireless settings and click the 'Secure My Wireless Network' button:
3. On this screen you can change or hide the 'Wireless Network Name'. If you find that your wireless signal is poor changing the 'Wireless Channel' may improve this.
By default encryption is set to none, we recommend changing this to WPA-PSK as this is the most secure method. Choose a WPA Key and enter it in the box below. A WPA Key is like a password. Once set you'll need to use this with any computer or games console you want to connect to your wireless network.
Once you've finished click 'Apply Settings':
4. Once the settings are applied you'll need to connect to the router again.
5. Use your wireless adapter's connection utility to scan for available networks. Your D-Link DSL 2640B will show up as the 'Wireless Network Name' you entered above (or dlink if you left it unchanged). Select your network and press connect:
6. You'll be promted for the password you created in step 3.
Enter, confirm this and press 'Connect' to log on to your wireless network: