Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What`s the difference ....

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

What`s the difference ....

OK... as you all know.. I am not well up on how linux works.... although I am having some success with Mint 16, and WINE .....
One of my programs....CWCOM .... has given me some problems... but it works.... Originally, I downloaded it and installed it (and opened it in WINE )..  from the internet, and got the USB/serial connector to be recognised as COMPORT 5... after sending a couple of lines of text in morse, it would start to send rubbish, or miss "dits" .... at first, I thought it was something wrong with my key... so I switched keys ( I have 5 ).. and all produced the same error...
If I re-started the program, it would clear the problem for another two lines.... not ideal...
so.. I decided I would see if I could open it in WINE , from the Windows HDD in a USB caddy( showing as 240GB Volume)...... worked perfectly, and I could send as much as I liked without the program creating errors  ( yes I made some,.... but that is not the problem!)...
So.. I found the location of CWCOM in Program Files.... and deleted it all... Then Copied and Pasted, the contents from the WIndows HDD to the same location.
I also deleted the original ICON from the desktop.. ( silly me ? ?  )  It works perfectly,
however,... I have to find the location of CWCOM, (on the Mint HDD)  each time I want to use it....  then click on the CWCOM.EXE file and Open with Wine. to get it to run... ( this is now on the Linux Mint 16 HDD).. and it runs perfectly...
The next bit is where my question comes ...  If I COPY the CWCOM.EXE file and put it on the desktop... when I click on it... it reports that the Morse Library cannot be found, and does not open the program.... Likewise if I "Make a link"... and put that on the desktop....
What`s the difference between them, and the original .exe file,... then, that makes it do that.. and is there a way of getting the Icon back on the desktop, to make it Clickable to launch the program ? Why doesn`t copying the .exe file to the desktop work the same as when it is in the Program folder? 
19 REPLIES 19
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: What`s the difference ....

Wine programs use a functionally similar lump of software to Windows to run.
So you have to run the program within a Wine environment.
You can make symbolic links to files which are like shortcuts in Windows.
Try finding CWCOM.EXE with your file manager, select it and right click.
Their should be an option to "Make a Link"
This will be created in your current directory.
Cut and Paste it to your desktop.
Try and run the short link in Wine - you might need to right click on it(??).
I don't use Wine.  Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, I made a link... and explained in my "story" above.... that clicking on that link on the desktop ( like windows shortcut).. and it returns a message box that part of the program is missing..( when in fact it is not missing)... It does not open the program, as you would normally expect...
please read my "story" again...  Wink
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

It's very commendable of you to be trying this shutter, kudos to you. Wink
Anyway, Wine is a bit temperamental when it comes to the 'working directory' and this can cause problems with most windows programs as they usually have a load of DLL 'n' stuff in their program's directory (folder). What happens with Wine is, wherever you activate it (in your case the desktop using a link) that place is set for the program's working directory (so the program will only 'see' the contents of the desktop and not the files required within the folder where the EXE is actually located). This also explains why the program will run when opening from its location.
The simplest solution for your situation is to create a link to the program's directory and have that on the desktop. It saves you from rooting around for its location every time.
The longer solution (I think) would require some scripting, not really your field of expertise though is it shutter, so best to leave it out of the options.  Tongue
RPM
That's RPM to you!!
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks for the Kudos !... I do like a "bit" of a challenge, but when it gets to be impossible ( for me ).... it tends to get me down, and I give up for a while, and maybe, come back to it later....  I started off with Mint 8..... so things have progressed, a little, and also the structure of MINT seems to have become more "user" ( windows) friendly !... Yes, I know some progs like to have a windows .dll file to get them working.. in particular, my favourite photo editing prog.... Irfanview.... so I just copied the  mfc42.dll file from the Windows folder ( on my caddy drive) to the Windows folder on the Mint 16 Drive, and  it works fine...
Strange how Mint 16 is shipped with an out of date WINE.. (1.4).  and no way of "updating" it, automaticlly, on installing..... WINE 1.7 is the version I am using now... and it is much better.
Would be interesting, and useful, if someone could work out a list of the most common .dll files needed on Linux to make the most common "type" progs run...
Yeah, I know.....big job.... ! ! .. Cheesy
Understand, part of what you said... and , as I said, in my original post.. I did "make a link"... and copy that to the desktop... It doesn`t work "directly" , however it is possible to right click on it, and get pointed to the "location" of the.exe file, and then click on that, to make it run....
As a matter of interest, despite me deleting the icon from the desktop, and deleting the downloaded install, then replacing it with a "copy" and "paste" version from the windows HDD.... I found I still had an Icon on the Menu listing, which..... when I click on it........ The program opens, and works properly... so I shall now .... right click and "place on desktop"...
Thanks for the help, guys...  Wink

EDIT EDIT EDIT.....
Oh dear.!.... put the CWCOM icon on the desktop...... opened the program...... tested it... ( works fine )... closed it...... and..... all my icons have disappeared from the desktop....
. just go the wallpaper now... Huh

anyone any ideas how to restore them, without "logging out"..... which does restore them when I log back in again.....

VileReynard
Hero

Wine 1.6 is the "stable" version
Wine 1.7 is the "Develop" branch.
So you are running with bleeding edge software.
You were probably given 1.4 because all packages must work together.
Maybe 1.4 was the latest stable when the testing was done?
Actually you will get automatic updates, periodically, for all your software.
This probably won't happen if you uninstalled Wine 1.4 and installed 1.7 from a non-Mint source.
Did you follow the instructions for the Ubuntu version from http://www.winehq.org/download
That would probably be the least worst possibility.  Grin
I wouldn't change anything yet though...

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

OK lets back track.
When you "copied it from the windows hdd" where did you put it?
Wine 1.4 is the version that is most stable released version, for latest versions use a ppa (which I think you have done)
Dll's well most are already "versionied" by Wine - wine tries to use its own dll's rather than the possibly (c) versions. But you can, as you did, copy a dll into the .wine/drive_c/windows folder.
You could try installing play-on-Linux and installing it using that and see if it works better.
To create a shortcut to your program, right click on the desktop, choose "create Launcher" then it gets complicated.
the command should be in the format:
env WINEPREFIX="/home/<USER ID>/.wine" wine "c:\<path to the file IN THE .wine/drive_c folder>"
e.g my Civ V is launched by
env WINEPREFIX="/home/hairybiker/.wine_game" wine "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sid Meier's Civilization V\CivilizationV.exe"
(I have a separate wine folder for games and programs)
shutter
Community Veteran

@ Foxy..... Hmm..... Actually, can`t remember how I installed  Wine 1.7.  do remember doing something in Terminal,  Roll_eyes ::)... anyway... the reason I got 1.7 was because a previous attempt to get Mint working... Mint 15,... and some of my fav progs cos I was directed to get 1.7 on the Wine Forum ! ! ... so I tried to find out ( think I went back on this forum and did a search ) and got it installed..... whether it automatically uninstalled 1.4 or not , I don`t know... and I don`t remember uninstalling it myself !.... anyway it seems to be working just fine...
@HB.... I copied the contents ( and the folder) of CWCOM from Windows > Program FIles..... into Program Files on the Mint 16 HDD....
As I just mentioned above... 1.4 did not work on some program or other, and I went to the WIne Forum and someone on there directed me to get 1.7 installed, and all seems well.... so if it is cutting edge, I must be some kind of looney hero ! ! ...  Cheesy

I did think about "play on linux"... and might have a go at that to see if some other progs of mine that don`t fully work, will work through that....
Thanks for the guide on using the "create launcher".... maybe will have a go at that later, if I need to.....
As you know... nowt is straight forward with me and Mint !.... just launched CWCOM from the icon on the desktop... ( see edit on my last  posting)... and. it worked fine.... shut it down... and............... all my desktop icons have stayed put ! ! !... not sure if this has anything to do with re-booting since adding the icon to the desktop ?????? 
For the present time... I am using Linux Mint 16 as my main OS.. with Firefox for browsing and Thunderbird for my mail... Keeping the Windows HDD in a caddy... and easy to swap back to Windows if needed by changing the HDD...

Have considered running windows in a "virtual machine" in Linux... but that will come later on as I get used to doing thing Linux way !...  That way, I could still use my other ( at present ) non working windows progs....
One last request.... I seem to remember you giving me some advice on how to add "Force Quit" to the bottom tool bar... that would be useful, if you can do it again, please....
Thanks for all your help........
Cheers  Wink
VileReynard
Hero

Right click on the application bar (probably at the bottom of the screen).
Other useful keys:-
Usually, it will be set up so that
CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE will force you back to the login screen. (It restarts X-windows)
CTRL+ALT+DELETE does a reboot - you shouldn't need this.  Cheesy
A very useful pair of commands is
ps aux | grep someprocess
The ps aux shows all processes running on your machine
The | is a pipe and someprocess is something you want to check the status of
grep matches data.
example
jeremy@hector:~$ ps aux | grep firefox
jeremy    7134 13.4 14.9 1269488 308268 ?      Rl  11:50  28:36 firefox
jeremy    9576  0.0  0.0  10356  892 pts/0    S+  15:24  0:00 grep --colour=auto firefox

Note the second entry relates to the terminal from which you are running the ps command.

shutter
Community Veteran

Hmm.... Right click on the bar..... gives.
Settings  >
Troubleshoot >
Panel Editing
Panel Setting
Add applets to panel.
Expanding Settings and Troubleshoot as follows
Settings >
Themes
Applets
Panel
All Settings
Troubleshoot >
Restart Cinamon
Looking Glass
Restore all settings to default
None of which gives " Force Quit"  !
As for your "useful pair of commands"....... a bit too far advanced for me to follow what they mean when shown... !  Undecided
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Hmm Cinnamon.
Try the add applets.
I don't use Cinnamon so not sure.
shutter
Community Veteran

Force Quit, is not in the "Add Applets" listing....  Cry
Waldo
Grafter

Seek, and ye shall find....
shutter
Community Veteran

Waldo is my hero !... Now got a nice big X on the application bar....
Much appreciated.  Wink
VileReynard
Hero

I use Cinnamon.
See attached...