Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanna buy a router !

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Wanna buy a router !

@Mustrum  OK... I`m a bit "dim"   on these things.... where does it say that it is for "cable" ....presumably some spec somewhere.. ... and how do you ( or I ) identify a "router & modem" unit  from the name/description/specifcations listed ?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@shutter It would mention withoin the specs the level of "DSL" it was capable of - ADSL / ADSL2 / VDSL.

Depending on where you are looking Routers that just "Route" are in the Router Section - Routers that also have a built in modem are in the DSL Router section.

Ethernet speeds will also be mentioned 10Mbps - 100Mbps or 1000/Gbps being the fastest.

Then there is Wireless speeds but that would take me too long to explain and there would likley be a new speed that comes out before I finish.

Another thing to consider is costs, the higher the spec, the more they cost - but second haad is well worth considering - you will notice the BT HH6 frequently mentioned - for good reason - cheap but quite well specced and probably better than most of the TP Link ones. 

shutter
Community Veteran

@Mustrum  Thanks for the reply... I understand about the line speeds, and the wifi stuff... just did not know about the adsl2 bit...  thanks for the info.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@shutter 

Be aware that RouterStats does not work with the Smarthub 6.

Also, as I understand it quite a few ISPs do not allow you to use your own  modem/router. If you’re thinking of moving it might be worth checking before spending money.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1  thanks for the info.....  I have already checked with the "future" isp... and they directed me to an Amazon page as an alternative to their £70 router... !  Wink

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@shutter  if that TP Link router was on the Amazon page they sugested you might have to give us a few more clues if you realy want people on here to help!!

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The stats for that particular router are a slight bit dodgy in one respect:-

Only ONE of the ethernet ports is Gigabit - the other 3 are only 100Mbits

So if you connect multiple ethernet devices and you do local transfers you will suffer.

You would have to get a separate ethernet switch to get Gigabit transfers on multiple ports.

But otherwise, its quite a nice router but lacking in stats access.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

shutter
Community Veteran

Fix

Just to "close this down"... with a few positive thoughts...

Thank you to all

@Browni      @Baldrick1      @Mustrum      @198kHz      @VileReynard  

For your input.. eventually, I have bought a Netgear DG834G  which ( after some password hassle ) is now "on - line" and working fine.

Asking for help on this board, has probably saved me a few quid on "wrong buy" items... so... thanks again guys.

Much Appreciated

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@shutter 

Pleased to hear that you're fixed up. In the past I had a DG834GT. As well as routerstats working you can telnet these and do things like tweek your SNR, at least, you could when I had one.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'