Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISP PlusNet Launch Faster Hub Zero 2704n Broadband Router

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: ISP PlusNet Launch Faster Hub Zero 2704n Broadband Router

jim:green Link no longer valid as the threads have been merged - so deleted mod:end
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That's the only one I could find, but you did say other threads. I've requested they be merged and moved to Hardware.
Edit: amend for clarification of explicit comment
chenks76
All Star

threads is plural...as there are two threads currently discussing it then the plural of the word is correct.
is anyone able to answer the question?
AndyH
Grafter

I think standby is the wrong word - it's a low power mode (i.e. not fully off or on). As long as the DSLAM will understand it in a low power mode, then there shouldn't be issues.
chenks76
All Star

and what does this low power mode actually do?
how does it affect the end-user?
are they aware of it in any way?
does it have adverse affects on the end-user if they try to use the router whilst it is in this low power mode?
can it be disabled by the end-user?
a lot of questions that need answers.
Anotherone
Champion

You could have tried your favourite search engine. Anyway, I've amended my comment above to be more explicit to avoid further confusion, but in any event have a read of http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135391.0.html - there is also I link there to a limited trial that was carried out.
chenks76
All Star

that thread got derailed fairly quickly about other non-router devices.
however, none of the questions i asked were answered in that thread as far as i can see, and it wasn't specifically about this new router with this function anyway.
and the trials link to in that thread are from two years ago it seems - hardly relevant in this instance.
therefore my questions still stand as unanswered.
AndyH
Grafter

The rules apply to new devices sold since Jan 2015.
The Openreach VDSL modems use less than 8.6W, which is less than the current specified 12W maximum standby consumption. So I assume they would be excluded anyway.
Anotherone
Champion

@chenks76
Try reading between the lines of the stupid comments in that or any linked thread, there is valid and correct information there and elsewhere.
The low-power mode is explained there as well as the effects on the end user which should be indiscernible if things are working correctly. People might only be aware if they are more technically alert and monitor their connection in a more detailed way and I would have thought it obvious from the information given that it should have no adverse effects on the end user. As for disabling it, that will depend on the individual product I suspect as far as the modem/router aspects are concerned - as for this one, I don't know (yet). As far as disabling anything that the DSLAM/MSAN may do, the answer is bound to be no once any power saving modes are implemented.
So as far as your questions go, only the last remains un-answered. And I suggest that the average user who is more likely to be using these boxes, rather than a more discerning techy user - who may use something else, won't give a flying fig either as long as everything works ok and we have no reason to believe it won't.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Two topics merged (ADSL and Fibre) and moved to Hardware
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I know that some of you aren't happy that this is an all singing all dancing router and to some extent I agree in that some features, which I would have expected aren't there.
The big advantages over the Technicolor TG582n as I see it are
Changing DNS servers to Google or OpenDNS or any others is extremely simple
Access control is very easy
The fibre and ADSL versions are the same with the only effect of changing an ADSL one as supplied to Fibre or vice versa is that it resets everything back to defaults and it has to be set up manually as TR069 won't work on the new service
chenks76
All Star

i assume it doesn't have a VDSL modem in it though? which means that another device will be required when "self install" is a requirement.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

If you read the help section for this router you would see that is completely clear
I am still not clear when or indeed if Self Install or Managed Install with no modem will be mandatory as opposed to preferred and cheaper
http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/cpeenablement/cpeenablement.do
AndyH
Grafter

From 1st September 2015, Plusnet will only be able to order self-install with their suppliers.
From 1st December 2015, Openreach will withdraw support (i.e. not replace) modems they have supplied.
I'm not sure if it has changed since September, but the only Openreach approved device was the Thompson Technicolor 589v3. The BT Retail/Sky/EE/TT own branded VDSL modem/routers will have been approved.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Is there a generally available document saying that as the last statement I saw dated October 2014 http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/10/aaisp-angered-bt-openreachs-self-install-fttc-broadband... said
    A BT Spokesperson told ISPreview.co.uk:
    “At their request, our CP customers now have the option to provide their own integrated modem and router into their customers’ homes and businesses, rather than relying on a separate Openreach modem. As a result, Openreach has been consulting with CPs on plans to withdraw the Openreach modem via industry forums throughout the summer.
    We’re currently reviewing the feedback from that consultation process, as we want to find a mutually agreeable timetable for withdrawal of the modems. However no decisions have been made yet. We are committed to working with our customers on this strategy, and to finding a plan that meets their needs and the needs of their customers, well into the future.
    Meanwhile, BT Wholesale has not changed its Terms and Conditions, and it has no plans to at this stage.”
Openreach also touched on the issue of approved modem testing, which is currently being affected by significant delays and the good news is that they’re going to address this issue. “We have developed a dedicated test facility for these devices to make sure they’re compatible with the Openreach network and don’t inadvertently cause harm to other lines. Due to the success of the project, we’re now looking to increase the capacity of this test facility and aim to have an update on that by December,” said the spokesperson.