cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISP PlusNet Launch Faster Hub Zero 2704n Broadband Router

picbits
Rising Star

Re: ISP PlusNet Launch Faster Hub Zero 2704n Broadband Router

Having read through most of the manual, it ticks virtually every box for the majority of customers
Assuming they are using a similar firmware to the one I've had a read up on:
URL blocking / allowing
Multicast for TV services
Guest Wifi capable
A gazillion different settings available to tweak the router
TR-069
USB File / Print server / DLNA
Parental control to allow time restrictions
QOS
Plenty more ......
*Edit - appears I was looking at the R version of the 2704 - not the N version. Should be interesting to see what the functionality is of the new one.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There is a PDF containing some photos of the insides of a 2704N as part of the FCC application VW3FAST2704N.
There's a heat sink covering what is presumably the main chip, but there's a picture of the wireless chip with the writing on it readable.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Unfortunately the manual isn't what I was hoping for - just the quick setup guide
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

I read this article posted on Uswitch on 16 Jan, for the new   'Plusnet Hub Zero'   router.  A bit vague on the details....
http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2015/01/plusnet_hub_zero_router_launches_for_adsl_and_fibre_br...
It is supplied with longer cable(s)....
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Where can us customers get this new Hub Zero / 2704 router?
Not likely I'll keep it for the long term but will test its functionality, reliability and speed.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

How do customers normally get routers from Plusnet Roll_eyes You can sign up for an extended/new contract and get if FOC paying P&P (possibly negotiable) via Customer Options, or buy it outright.
Quote from: zZz
I read this article posted on Uswitch on 16 Jan, for the new   'Plusnet Hub Zero'   router.  A bit vague on the details....
http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/2015/01/plusnet_hub_zero_router_launches_for_adsl_and_fibre_br...

The Router setup guides page has some more details.
Quote from: zZz
It is supplied with longer cable(s)....

Noting that this modem/router is configurable for ADSL or Fibre (in a similar way to the 582n USB model was with 10.2.5.2 firmware), one might hope that for the shipped ADSL version, the ADSL cable was a twisted pair cable, but as most modem/routers from whatever source are rarely supplied with such, it most likely isn't, so customers in difficult  "noisy" electrical/electronic environments may wish to obtain a twisted pair cable from the usual sources.
I also noted that the U-switch page said that the ADSL version is shipped with only one microfilter but customers who need more would be supplied them FOC, so worth asking at time of ordering.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

What about customers who have a contract?
I'm in the early stages of my contract with great discounts so I don't want to recontract and lose the discounts.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: Anotherone
....You can sign up for an extended/new contract.......

I can't speak for what Customer Options might be willing to offer you. Ring them up and see what they say, haggle if need be Wink
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Oh Em Gee.  Just noticed this thread?
I see plusnet took note of what users required - NOT!  Undecided
You know the important things like:
- a VDSL modem
- Gb E ports
.. and why choose wifi that is no better than the TG582n ?
Its saving grace may be that (like the TG582n) it looks like it may have a BCM 6328 chipset.  Both also have a BCM432x7 wireless chipset.
Seriously who chose this?  Did the person actually know what to look for in a router?  Its laughable that its specs under the hood are no better than the old TG582n
...or are we supposed to be fooled by the name Zero Hub and flashy lights?
Unbelievable!

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Another Plusnet Hub Zero announcement, this time by broadbandchoices
http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/news/broadband/plusnet-launches-new-wireless-router-00174
Perhaps when fibre self-installs become available, PN will offer a new VDSL modem router?
But what will they call it? 
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

All starting to fall into place now. I recently upgraded to fibre and I was getting frequent, what looked like, internal issues. Went and got a proper Asus router and problem solved.
The person in support seemed to think that it sounded like a dodgy router but no offer to send a replacement like I often see.
Let's be careful out there !
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I was thinking the 2704N might have a Broadcom 6318 chipset since according to this the CPU model is different (BCM3302 vs. BCM4350).
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

probably called the Hub Zero as Zero is the number of plusnet customers that think this hub is any improvement at all.
seriously though, ISPs do this time and time again, they bring out a new "improved" router but you dig into the specs it's just a woeful attempt at bring out a prettier router rather than a better one.
Anotherone
Champion

I think that's a rather mean response for something which is a more energy efficient mass market router to replace the 582n, not an all singing dancing AC wireless monolith. We'll have to wait and see what it's performance is like.
Whilst Kitz's comment comes as no surprise, we don't yet know what Plusnet might be offering when it comes to Fibre Self Install.
dsw
Grafter

Just saw this on ISP Review.
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/01/isp-plusnet-launch-faster-hub-zero-2704n-broadband-rout...
Low cost ISP PlusNet appears to have quietly introduced a new wireless broadband router for their new customers in the United Kingdom, which is called the Hub Zero (Sagemcom 2704n) and curiously does not come with an integrated VDSL modem for superfast FTTC broadband lines (i.e. you still need to use Openreach’s supplied VDSL modem via a managed install).