cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WTH!

carolej
Grafter

Re: WTH!

Um, nah am in a bog standard council house, stately isn't a word you'd associate with it  Grin  I don't much care for extension cables, they seem to cause more problems than they cure.
Today things haven't been so bad, the wireless is working ok, however I may investigate these long ehternet cables. 
Thanks for all the help, I do apprecate the time you all take, and also that without actually being in situ, its an uphill struggle sometimes  Cheesy
carolej
Grafter

Ok, well having a particularly bad night, in fact so bad I have had to resort to logging into my friend's router, which isn't on really. 
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

You have tried the master socket, but have you tried the test socket behind the faceplate?
I would try here, with a new filter, and no phone attached, then post the stats, and leave things for a day or so if you can.
carolej
Grafter

Quote from: penfold
You have tried the master socket, but have you tried the test socket behind the faceplate?
I would try here, with a new filter, and no phone attached, then post the stats, and leave things for a day or so if you can.

Trouble is, I'm disabled, I can't get on my hands and knees to take the face plate off.  And I live alone, so there's no one else to do it.  I'm tryng to do everything I've been told but seriously, where does this go, am I going to end up looking in the green box down the street with a puzzled look on my face!  TalkTalk may have been a pain in the backside, but the broadband, when it was on, was useable.  I can't get anything from YouTube to load, anything like supermarket emails with lots of images just stop everything else from working.  Trying to download overnight onto my mac is bordering on a joke.  
I feel as if I'm just going around in circles now, and getting nowhere Sad
matt_2k34
Grafter

I feel as if I'm just going around in circles now, and getting nowhere

I can understand the frustration, however...
TalkTalk and BT work in different ways, BTs system is automated (and thats why your line keeps getting slower), whereas TalkTalk is more manual... e.g. TalkTalk set the speed, then your line will run at that speed or not AT ALL.
Your poor connection with talktalk was probably down to an underlying issue on the line, but they generally have issues with support and are incapable of doing a simple fix  Roll_eyes
Unfortunately you'll need to try the test socket, just to ensure that you're not liable for a bill from BT if the issue is actually within your house (a phone extension on the back of the master socket)
That is *only* the case if your master socket looks like...

If it doesnt, you cant do it anyway and its worth just raising the fault with your provider Smiley
carolej
Grafter

Thing with TalkTalk is you can't really complain about something that is free  Smiley  I moved because I don't mind paying for a better service.  However, I'm not getting a better service, it is actually worse than TalkTalk, and that's going some! As it is physically impossible for me to get down to look at this master socket, I guess I am going to have to pay for an inferior service, bit of a slap in the face really.  
matt_2k34
Grafter

Does the socket look like the one in my post above?
if NOT then theres isnt anything you can do about it being an 'internal' problem and PN should get a BT engineer to come take a poke around and see if he can see anything.
With you being less able, it might be in plusnet's interest to see if they can get the engineer to come take a poke anyway (hint hint?  ;))
Thing with TalkTalk is you can't really complain about something that is free

Yes. I can.  Wink
Regards
carolej
Grafter

It does look as if a panel would come off, I think the socket was replaced about 6 years ago, BT had to re-route the cable as we were having double glazed doors and windows fitted and the old cable came in through the door frame  Roll_eyes
I don't have any etension leads plugged into it, only the filter then the router and phone!
And yeah, I did actually give TalkTalk a roasting, on more than one ocassion  Wink
matt_2k34
Grafter

Whilst there may be nothing "plugged into" the front of that removable panel, on the back are connections to plug in extensions (all hidden and beautiful, see.. Smiley )
Problem is, the only way to disconnect those (and ensure that when/If BT put in a phone extension they didnt leave half a drum of cable left in the wall acting as a huge interference antenna..) is to remove that faceplate and plug in the socket behind. (if theres any other sockets in the house, this is where they will be 'fed' from)
I'm starting to get confused, Have we ruled out the router (has it been replaced, or PN sent out a test router?)
If another router does not solve the problem, I'd expect the next step would be raise a fault, but as the issue is only apparent when the BB is in use, i guess its a broadband fault  Undecided
Hopefully a PN staffer will be around shortly  Cheesy
Regards
carolej
Grafter

Only have the one socket, in the most inconvnient place of course!  Wonder if I can borrow next door's hubby to come and deal with it, cos it sounds like it has to b dealt with  Roll_eyes
The router is the one PN sent me, the only other one I have is the one from TalkTalk...oh i may have my old Belkin router somewhere  Smiley
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: carolej
I feel as if I'm just going around in circles now, and getting nowhere Sad

A very common feeling when trying to resolve broadband issues.  Cry
Unfortunately, you (the user) really does have to do a lot of work, at your own inconvenience.  And only then will BT engineers appear - and depending on your luck, you may or may not get an engineer who knows what they are doing.  That's when the real frustration starts!  Unfortunately most of this is not within Plusnet's power to change.
Basically you need to have one computer only plugged in to your router with an ethernet cable, and your router plugged in (without an extension) into a micro-filter in to the test socket (having removed the face plate of the BT master socket).  And you need to have tried a different micro-filter, and a different router, in this same arrangement.  And you need to leave your router plugged in and turned on in this arrangement.  And you need to have done 3 BT speed tests an hour apart from each other, when the problem is occurring.  This is all to prove that the problem exists and is nothing to do with your equipment or wiring, so that BT won't charge you for an engineer's visit.  Then you have to hope that the BT engineer will find the problem and know what to do to sort it out!
You have my sympathy.
carolej
Grafter

Sad  I may just have to put up with it then, this is a proper out of the pan into the fire job
dick:quote
matt_2k34
Grafter

Erm. No...
What id suggest, (if your unable to, whenever someones over or available to...) disconnect your plusnet router, and just plug into one of your other routers onto the line (it does not matter that it will not work..)
All i want you to do, is pick up the phone and see if its popping/hissing/crackling. If the problem is gone, PN should be able to swap out the router (its possible its a bit dodgy..)
if the noise is still there, on one of your other routers... I'd raise a fault personally...  Wink
Regards
carolej
Grafter

Well it went off completely.  And so I rang PN, and spoke to a very nice man who went though everything with me, what I'd done, what I hadn't done and he has raised a fault.  For my part, while I was hunting for the cables for my old Belkin router, I picked up an old micro filter with an adsl cable attacjhed and thought...lets give it a whirl.  The PN router has connected and is stable.
We're undecided wheher my cordless phone is at fault, so its been chucked into a box!  Angry  I can live with out a phone!
We'll see how it goes!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI carolej,
I'm going to reset your profile seeing as it's been a lot more stable, This should get things rolling. I'll keep an eye on it for you as the days goes on and keep you posted.
Jojo Smiley