cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WTH!

carolej
Grafter

Re: WTH!

Thanks Jojo, it stayed on all night and has been fine this morning so far, so am wondering about the micro filters and adsl cable that came with the router, to be honest, the cable was pretty tightly wound and quite kinked in places.  As a long shot, am wondering if the cable was damaged?  Anyway, it seems to be fine at present, I'm not going to plug the phone in, I need to get hold of another just to check that out.
Thanks for the help everyone, I know I get a lil uppity, but its more frustration at my own inability to make things work lol  Roll_eyes
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi CaroleJ,
Thanks for your patience over this issue Smiley We can certainly appreciate how frustrating it is, but very glad to hear it's improving for you. Hope things continue that way.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi carolej,
That seems to have worked. I've upped the profile on our side to 5000 now so you should see this take effect in the next 15 minutes.
Jojo Smiley
carolej
Grafter

Ok, so the broadband just dropped out again, and stayed off for quite some time, I've taken the face plate off and got the router plugged into the intrnal socket.  Took about 30 to 45 mins (approx\) to get it to come back on.
I remember when I had my phone plugged in, when someone rang me, the internet dropped out, of course now I have my phone unplugged, I can't tell if someone if calling  Undecided
Also, this is about the time all the schoolkids are logging in, and to be honest, we did have issues a while back because w detected that about 20 kids would all be logging in, at the time we wre ALL with TalkTalk!
May be a load of nonsense Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not really.
If you have any energy left, you can plug a filter into the test socket and use the phone.
can you get somebody to look at the wires in the junction box?, you should only have two wire going out in sockets 2 and 5.  look at this site for info  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

wish I was up in County Durham,on holiday could come round and do the job for you
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: carolej
I remember when I had my phone plugged in, when someone rang me, the internet dropped out

That is really significant. A test you can do yourself easily if you have a mobile phone. Pull up the router stats page, dial your number and watch to see if the router is affected while you can hear it ringing on the mobile. With a bit of luck it will drop out which would then be something solid to show an engineer.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi carolej,
Definitely leave it in the test socket, but as jelv says you could do with trying the phone to see if it's still affecting it.
Jojo Smiley
carolej
Grafter

Went out and bought a new corded phone, plugged it in, still noisy, but apparently there is no fault on the phone line, so am stumped with that one.  Apparently an engineer is needed to come out, which wil probably cost me £60, which I simply cannot afford.
Broadband was good for a few days, some minor issues, tonight tho, its been quite bad, took ages to do the speedtest, which seems to have changed, results here
Test1 comprises of two tests
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
6 Kbps

0 Kbps 4000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3561 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 961 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3141 Kbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
711 Kbps

0 Kbps 961 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 711 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 961 Kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi carolej,
I'll see if I can get someone to look into this again for you.
Jojo Smiley
carolej
Grafter

Hi Jojo, I rang tech support last night and he had me switch off the router, and the phone line cleared, so I think he has referred it to the broadband side, about a jumpering issue perhaps?
I am trying to stay positive, but my first month with Plusnet hasn't been great, the phone has been all but unusable, in fact has remained unplugged most of the time, I only used it to ring tech support last night because my mobile was low on credit, and the broadband has been a pain in the neck, however I am reminded that my next bill is due next week, its not good paying for a service that isn't up to scratch, although I know you are all doing your best to sort it.
Would I recommend you to a friend....um not at the moment, give me another month or so to see if this really can be sorted out eh  Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi carolej,
I realise you may be being put off by the messages about the £60 charge, and thought I should advise that this will only be charged if an engineer attends and finds the fault to be caused by your internal wiring or equipment.
Given the tests you've done with a single corded phone in the master socket (and also the same with the router) you've proved that the fault must be external to your premises. The charge is issued directly to us and then if validated passed on to the customer, however we have the option to reject - which we will do provided (as you have) that the tests have been done.
Basically I'm saying you've nothing to worry about regarding the engineer charges.
Hope that helps reassure you.
carolej
Grafter

So, the engineer visited yesterday, did some tests and checks, found little blip underground about 400 metres away.
Today I get texts and emails saying my issue is resolved...so resolved I have had to connect to my neighbours broadband to send emails!
here's the last speed test

FAQ
Results Image not loaded
Test1 comprises of two tests
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
180 Kbps

0 Kbps 4000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 180 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1200-4000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3936 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1024 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 3472 Kbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
156 Kbps

0 Kbps 1024 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 156 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1024 Kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.
If you wish to carry out further tests,please click on 'Continue' button.If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.
I can tell you now, I am not paying another penny until someone sorts this out.
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: carolej
I can tell you now, I am not paying another penny until someone sorts this out.

I sympathise!  Unfortunately that is not how things work.  If you stop paying, Plusnet will stop pushing BT to fix the problem - and whichever ISP you're with, you will face the same problem.  It's far better to stick with Plusnet: keep pushing them to keep pushing BT (and keep doing the seemingly-pointless tests they ask for), keep records of everything that everyone has said and done (or not done) including dates, times, names, organisation etc.  Then once they finally sort the problem (or say there's nothing more they can do, and yet you can prove the problem still exists), go through the complaint procedure and obtain compensation for all the time and money you've spent sorting it out and all the time you've been without a useable internet connection (and only if this procedure fails, you can go to the independent ombudsman).  Only once you've done all this, would it be advisable to consider leaving.
Frustrating I know.  All due to the way the British telecoms industry is structured, thanks to BT's privatisation.
You may also want to seek advice as to whether you can get any help due to your disability - it might be discrimination that you can't get your broadband sorted because you can't get at your phone socket etc to do the tests your provider is asking you to do.  Try the CAB: http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/
carolej
Grafter

The BT engineer did everything he could yesterday, he even rang Plusnet to ask if there was anything else they wanted him to do. 
So I guess I have to go on paying for a shocking service while having to use my neighbours Sky broadband! 
And they have the nerve to email me asking me to recommend them to my friends!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi carolej,
Our system just hadn't picked up your new profile yet. I've changed it manually now for you to 3000 so you should see the increase in the next 15 minutes.
Jojo Smiley