cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WTH!

matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: WTH!

Nope, they dont do those sort of 'checks' when they take over a line. (They just check to make sure they can take "ownership" of the line, and if someone has left a "marker" on the line - these are usually things like "Unsuitable for broadband", at which point other providers know not to try and provide BB service, due to it not being capable... if that makes sense?)
You should of mentioned the noisy phoneline first, as i said before the two problems usually go together. (but if you dont know, you dont know, if theres an issue with the phone NEVER mention broadband, sort that out AFTER if theres still a problem...)
If you have another microfilter, can you swap it out with another to see if its just a dodgy filter thats causing the problem? (and as said above, try removing the router to see if its still noisy..)
You can try a "Quiet line test" on the phone at any time.. Dial 17070, then "option 2" when prompted. you should hear a 'beep or click' and the line should then go perfectly silent (this is what an engineer would do first to 'hear' the noise on arrival..) if its not *perfectly quiet* i'd raise a phone fault (might be worth plugging JUST your phoneline in for a few mins, to make sure its not BB affecting)
Regards
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you pay Plusnet for your phone rental & calls or someone else?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
carolej
Grafter

I got sick of complaining to TalkTalk about the phone line and being told there was nothing wrong, Will look at things more tomorrow  Smiley
carolej
Grafter

Everything is with Plusnet now
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You MUST concentrate on the noisy phone line first. Can the person on the other end of the line hear the noise? If so make a point of using that phone when ringing Plusnet up!
While you've got a problem with the phone, complaining about the broadband is a waste of yours and everyone else's time - broadband will never work properly over a line which doesn't work properly for voice.
carolej
Grafter

Well will try that, but when youve complained for months only to be told there's nothing wrong, you do kind of get to thinking that yeh, you must be  Huh
matt_2k34
Grafter

TalkTalk about the phone line and being told there was nothing wrong

Unfortunately the problem there was TalkTalk, generally dealing with people who havent got a clue what they're doing Smiley
as Jelv said, as the phone issue is sorted, the broadband should become stable (and usually faster Smiley )
Regards
carolej
Grafter

right, am going to log off and try some trouble shooting, will start by going back to the master socket, i had to move the router and phone onto an extension lead to be able to use the ethernet cable for the speedtest...long story!
only been with plusnet a week or so and had more help than in all of the 4 years was with TalkTalk  Cheesy
carolej
Grafter

Okies folks, I unplugged the phone and router and took them back to the master socket.  I plugged the phone in on its own, no noise.  Plugged in the micro filter and plugged the phone into it, no noise.  Plugged the router in, still no noise.  (feeling kinda sheepish now)  However once the router was estblished, there was noise on the phone, is this some conflict between my phone and the router?
Speedtest results :-
Download speedachieved during the test was - 202 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3264 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 250 Kbps

Router Info
DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:14:25
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Channel mode: Interleave
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,108 / 3,584
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 3,264
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 0.00 / 4.08
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.5 / 46.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.0 / 16.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 47 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 33 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 495
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Do you have another filter you can try
carolej
Grafter

Yep, I have another new one that came with the router and my old ones...althought given I had bitched at TalkTalk for months, I'd prbably be best throwing those ones out  Embarrassed
Will go and change the micro filter now., anything to find a solution lol
Changed the filter, just the same, once the router gets established, there's noise on the phone, like a hissing noise.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Having tried a different filter do you have a different router you could try?
matt_2k34
Grafter

Although if its possible, you'd be better leaving the router and phone plugged into the master socket, and "removing" any extensions, as these tend to cause problems.. (most people use cordless phones that operate from a 'base' anyway, so it doesnt matter if its on an extension or not...)
I'd agree with Jelv on trying another router if you have one... Plusnet can probably send you out a 'test' router to try, although you'll have to wait until Monday now until someone is around to sort this out (if its possible, theyve done it before so i dont see why not Smiley )
a quick question, what sort of phone is it? cheap cordless phone? wired? if its cordless, does moving the base away from the socket remove the noise?
Regards
carolej
Grafter

The only other router I have is the one that came from TalkTalk  Huh  I got a new one from Plusnet when I signed up.
I've got the router and phone plugged into the master socket now, I only moved them onto the extension so that I could use the ehternet cable for the speedtest, where the master socket is, is impossible for me to stand, with laptop cradled in my arms, as am disabled and have to use a stick to walk or stand for any length of time lol! 
It's a cordless phone, twin handsets, wasn't exactly cheap but not top of the range either.  There's no noise on the phone at all, until the router gets its act into gear.  As soon as the router is fully lit and running, then the noise starts  Undecided
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Telephone extension leads are bad news. On the other hand, long CAT 5e ethernet cables are not. Unless you live in some sort of stately home that would be an alternative route as they happily go up to 100M with no loss of performance.