cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Protect

awoodman

Re: Plusnet Protect

I think we should campaign to get Plusnet to include a better product as part of the package. Any suggestions, apart from the that one?
Dom
Grafter

Well we moved from McAfee to AVG here at work. I'm not sure how good an idea that was, mind you. Is Norton still any good? I've found that to be one of the best in the past, but the system resources it consumed didn't justify installing it. If they've managed to sort out that little problem, it might be worth looking into.
awoodman

I agree with all your comments but I reckon I might try a free trial of something else. Maybe something that is check-mark platinum award certified. I hope I am not breaking any forum rules by including a link to their web site:
http://www.westcoastlabs.com/checkmark/search/platinum/
As you can see it is quite an exclusive club that AVG and others are in but Mcafee is not.
Hopefully by the time the free trial is over Mcafee will have resolved the problems with Plusnet protect...
stallan
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
Afternoon folks.
Transpires that after looking into this further, Mcafee are struggling to identify exactly where the problem lies Sad
If you're affected by this problem (Mcafee saying you're unprotected and need to renew), then please add a comment to this thread. It would be interesting to know what happens when you click the 'renew' hyperlink. For those brave enough, it would also be helpful to know what happens when you uninstall the program, download it again from here and reinstall?
Edit: to those that have tried to reinstall (namely @geofftswin and stallan), exactly what steps did you take when doing this?

Hi Bob,
I didn't click any RENEW links.  I uninstalled , rebooted and tried to re-install which then failed as per the screen shot in my post. Decided to go back to AVG 2011. 
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Guys, I'm sorry for the continued problems but rest assured we're taking it seriously.
We've thousands using the service so these issues have the potential to affect a lot of people. For those that don't know, we have acknowledged the existence of a problem over on our Service Status feed.
Quote from: Atman
Dear Mr ,
Thank you for your query.
We have become aware of a problem with our Plusnet Protect software incorrectly asking for a renewal.
We have reported this issue to our suppliers and they have assured us it was due to be fixed by 18/11/2010. In the mean time we would like to reassure all customers who have this issue that the software is fully working and their systems are protected. You can safely ignore any message asking for a renewal.
We apologise for any inconvenience caused by this issue and will provide an update as soon as any more information is available.
Kind regards,
[removed]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This arrived this morning!

Sorry about that. I'll have a word with the advisor in question. We were originally informed by McAfee that they had identified a problem, but despite this being addressed the issues have persisted Sad
Quote from: stallan
Hi Bob,
I didn't click any RENEW links.  I uninstalled , rebooted and tried to re-install which then failed as per the screen shot in my post. Decided to go back to AVG 2011. 

If you're talking about this failure, then I've been able to replicate that when trying a fresh install on my own account. Thought it was because I was using an x64 variant of Windows to begin with but it's clear others are having similar problems where it's been installed prior without any problems.
We're looking at a number of issues:
Renewal problems (ref: 64480)
This is where customers are presented with this notice advising that they need to renew their subscription.
Orders not being sent (ref: 63927/63955)
This is what I think is contributing to the problems CharlieSmirke's having.
Incorrect content surrounding charging
This is basically a yellow notification Window in the Member Centre that says the service costs £2 when you log in with an account that offers it for free. We've seen a few reports of this so are going to fix it as part of this investigation.
Errors installing
When trying to install/reinstall the software you're presented with this error message.
We're in contact with Mcafee to try and work out where some of these processes are breaking down. As soon as I know more, I'll come back to you. There's no ETA for resolution at the moment I'm afraid.
Quote from: Atman
I agree with all your comments but I reckon I might try a free trial of something else.

If you can't wait for a fix and are looking for free alternatives then Avira Antivir Personal comes recommended by me.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mdbubs

Righto. I'm confused. I have turned on my laptop to be told that my computer has not been protected for 5 days and that I need to renew my Mcafee license, I click on renew and am moved to the PlusNet homepage. I found this thread through the support pages but, whilst I'm reading this, McAfee is happily running a scan.
Am I protected? Need I worry? Should I have stuck with Panda AV? Could someone give me a concise answer on my problem and what I ned to do. No tech speak please, I'm drinking....
Kind regards
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Basically you are still protected but you won't get any updates until the problem is fixed
TicnTac
Grafter

Isn't there a built in feature of the standard Plusnet router for protection, rather than software?
There is a round black button on the back of the Thomson router that when pressed the lights should fade away thus providing full protection from viruses, trojans, hackers etc. from the Internet, the computer / laptop will be 100% safe! I believe it also acts as a 'power saver' mode, you won't use as much electricity whilst it is in protection mode. It is also a known fact, that whilst the router is in this state, you will not occur any bandwidth usage either.  Smiley
There is a small compromise whilst using this feature, you can only use the Internet in 'offline' mode.
Wink
awoodman

lol @ticntac
I have given up on Mcafee, their custom service stinks  Angry and downloaded a free trial of AVG 2011. It seems a lot better than the old AVG's (not so resource hungry)
I may even buy it after the trial as I do believe unreliable protection is worse than no protection at all. At least you know where you stand with no protection!
My message to Plusnet is that although clearly not your fault you are reliant on customer service from Mcafee that is very poor. This must be embarassing for you and brings you into disrepute. I have nothing but praise for you as an ISP and have been with you for some years.
Maybe it's time to bin Mcafee and link up with a better provider?
gswindale
Grafter

Edit: to those that have tried to reinstall (namely @geofftswin and stallan), exactly what steps did you take when doing this?

OK, I redownloaded and ran the install last night - which very kindly offered to remove the existing Mcafee software.
So far today all seems to be good; however I don't particularly want to have to do this on a monthly basis across 3 PCs - I haven't rolled it out on the others yet.
barky
Grafter

am glad now that didn't leave PN protect on a pc now - tried it on an old one & was unimpressed with the limited info it showed
perhaps in time it'll improve ... mcafee has been a pain to me before, sad to read here that it's still a pain  Huh
that old pc is now running with freebie comodo av & firewall -- all is well -- and I can see what's going on far better
Sciurus
Hooked

Afternoon folks.
Transpires that after looking into this further, Mcafee are struggling to identify exactly where the problem lies Sad
If you're affected by this problem (Mcafee saying you're unprotected and need to renew), then please add a comment to this thread. It would be interesting to know what happens when you click the 'renew' hyperlink. For those brave enough, it would also be helpful to know what happens when you uninstall the program, download it again from here and reinstall?

Will try to uninstall and re-download.
Sciurus
Hooked

Quote from: stallan
Afternoon folks.

Hi Bob,
I didn't click any RENEW links.  I uninstalled , rebooted and tried to re-install which then failed as per the screen shot in my post. Decided to go back to AVG 2011.  

After uninstalling as Bob suggested, it's now allowed me to download again and re-install.
Sciurus
Hooked

Looks like I spoke too soon.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks Sciurus,
I'll give Bob a headsup.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team