cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited broadband is here!

Plusnet Unlimited broadband banner Following the teaser announcement at the weekend, we're really excited to announce the launch of our brand new range of broadband  products. Offering a truly unlimited experience, Plusnet Unlimited has no usage allowance, no hidden fair usage policies and no compromise on the speeds you can achieve. Also available is Plusnet Essentials which takes the place of the old Plusnet Value product. Plusnet Unlimited offers ‘up to 16Mbps’ speeds and unlimited usage with no throttling/speed limits from as little as £9.99/month. Prices for the ‘up to 76Mbps’ fibre equivalent will start from £19.99/month. Plusnet Essentials and Essentials Fibre have peak-time usage allowances of 10GB and 40GB respectively (overnight usage is free) and prices start from just £5.99/mnth. New customers switching to Plusnet can take advantage of a half price promotion that we'll be running over the festive season and into the New Year. Our new products are available right now over on our website. Existing customers can also upgrade online.

If you have any questions before taking the plunge then read our handy guide about how fibre broadband works

This is what our CEO - Jamie Ford - had to say about the new products:

“We pride ourselves on offering value for money products, with a first class service. As new broadband-enabled devices continue to hit the market, we felt now was the right time to launch truly unlimited broadband products. “Customers’ internet habits have changed considerably over the last 12 months. People are using more bandwidth and services that demand faster speeds but at the same time, we know some people still want a broadband supply for limited day-to-day use at the best price point possible. We believe that our new Essentials and Unlimited products meet either demand.”

So what are you waiting for? Will you be upgrading to one of the new packages, or are you happy where you are? Is Unlimited the much-welcomed Christmas present you weren't expecting? Let us know by sounding off in the comments below ...

0 Thanks
108 Comments
108 Comments
Anthony_King
Not applicable
We had a power outage yesterday at about 1800 which lasted 15 minutes, afterwards I had difficulty restarting my router, a distress call sorted it though, spoke to LIZ, she had my router up and running & back online in short order! Many thanks Liz! The survey link is broken by the way!
oldgeezer
Grafter
Just a heads up to anyone changing to unlimited and taking up Plusnet's free Plusnet Protection. I went over to unlimited this morning and when I tried to download the McAfee stuff the Plusnet site told me I could have it for 3 months free and £2 a month after that. I contacted the helpline and was told there was a glitch in the system and I would be refunded any extra money taken. I downloaded the program and then received an email telling me that my Plusnet Protection would be cancelled at my next billing period. Might be an idea to wait until the bugs have been ironed out before downloading the protection.
Pete_L
Not applicable
Called up on 24th December as I knew I was due for renewal very soon (not knowing about the new deals) - was supposed to do this on 17th. Now paying less than £2 more a month from 10GB to unlimited and keep the same great customer service - really pleased with this, first time I've ever stuck with an ISP and not felt forced to migrate away. Keep this up!
AndyHamp
Grafter
I'm currently on Plusnet Extra fibre with the Pro-add on .... am i correct that the new unlimited is the equivalent package ? Is there really no traffic shaping/throttleing on the new package like my pro add on ? Adding on unlimited usage and free pro features AND saving £5 a month ... too good to be true 🙂
Kelly
Hero
AndyHamp: No throttling. Just prioritisation: http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/12/21/its-unlimited-why-is-it-still-traffic-managed/
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@Anthony King, thanks for the positive feedback. We know about the survey link, we've an internal problem raised to fix it (ref: 73813). Thanks for bringing it to our attention though :) @Alan, another known problem that we'll get fixed as soon as we can (ref: 73930).
AndyHamp
Grafter
@Kelly is that the same as my current service or is that different ?
dim_sam
Not applicable
I'm new in the UK.I've been with PN since april this year.I upgraded my broadband to EXTRA in the summer...so does that mean my 12month contract 'started' in the summer?And can anyone make clear to me what I will have to pay if I leave earlier? Another thing concerns the speed.When i first signed up i had a line of up to 8Mbps and my estimate was 7...that's fine.But nowdays it says my area is up to 17Mbps.Can my speed change if for some reason speed has gone up in my area?
dim_sam
Not applicable
I forgot to say that I'm thinking of going with the unlimited package which is 1 pound cheaper.Trying to figure out if i get a speed upgarde etc.
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@AndyHamp, slightly different prioritisation with the Pro bolt on - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml @dim sam, you may not be in contract. Regardless you'd still be able to upgrade. You can find out what you can upgrade to and what (if any) contract it would entail using our website - http://portal.plus.net/upgrade_process.html?memberheader=upgrade Regarding speed, you should be able to get whatever this tells you you can - http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput The account upgrade may involve an increase in speed (you'll be given estimate during the upgrade).
dim_sam
Not applicable
I am currently in contract -started in april-.I don't know if my upgrade to the extra pack renewed it. As far as my speed it supports 10-19Mbps.And also in the plusnet member centre it gives me an estimated 17Mpbs.But I'm guessing the exchange-my line hasn't been upgraded. In the upgrade section it still says -in all the packages- 8Mbps download.
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Ah I see! That's a known bug since revamping the site (ref: 73759). The upgrade won't affect your provisioned speed irrespective of the estimates given during the upgrade journey.
Jonathan2
Interested
My heart sank when I saw @BobPullen's response about the router supplied with PN fibre - I just signed up for fibre, installation in a couple of weeks. If the Thomson 582N router has the same UI-from-hell as the TG585 I got for ADSL2+ a while back, then I shall likely be shredding my hair out - the web interface to it is close to dysfunctional if you want to do anything interesting, and the CLI is quirky, irritating and poorly documented. Even simple tasks, like reserving a DHCP address for a printer, are a nightmare. I hope the usually excellent PN tech support is geared up for lots of questions from stressed users trying to manage their home network...
rush768
Not applicable
I'm a new PN customer. Signed up in November to 60gb tariff, and with it a discount for first 9 (?) months. If I transferred to Unlimited presumably I would lose that discount?
Hamza
Not applicable
Hi i currently have been on the plusnet essential package for a year and i have been getting a download speed of 2.5mb and a upload speed of 0.40 mbps when i first joined and now i am getting a download speed of 1.5mb and a upload speed of 0.15mbps .I have already told plusnet and they tried their best but they couldnt do much to improve the speed as my line speed is 1mbps .I have told plusnet to change my package to the new unlimited internet for £9.99 and my question is will the unlimited package improve my download speed and do i get a new router as i have a thomson one currently.Thanks
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@Jonathan, the GUI is similar if I'm honest. Reserving a DHCP address for a printer should be relatively simple. Connect the printer, access router interface, navigate to Home Network > Devices, select the device in question, click 'Configure', enable the 'Always use the same IP address option' and then save. FWIW you can use any PPPoE capable router with a WAN port or a combined VDSL modem router (if you want to spend the pennies). @David, this is answered in the FAQ - http://community.plus.net/unlimited-faq/#11 @Hamza, the package change is unlikely to alter your speed. A new router is available on request assuming you're committing to a 12 month contract.
Fireant
Grafter
superfast broadband lol wheres that Cheesy ive never seen it ah my exchange isnt on the map say no more with BT and there wonderful service not !!
Si_Waudby
Not applicable
Hi, just changed from the old £25.42 unlimited to go on the new unlimied cheaper service, can you tell me when it changes over as it still says I'm on the £25.42 tariff, also any ideas on which other routers I can use (non fibre), have constant reboots on router tried various routers but can't get any to work properly Thanks
sscutch
i have read of plusnet's many awards and am in the process of joining from BT. i hoped that some would be for customer service. it's been a shambles! when i try to get a progress update, a message tells me that my broadband is not yet up and running and phone cuts off. try to speak to someone and there is a 30 minute wait. i receive a letter asking for my mac code which takes 8 days to arrive due to xmas-you have my email, use it. i now need to get a new mac code. when i speak to someone, they want letters from password which i don't have, but the website won't give it to me as my a/c is not set up yet. the call centre staff won't transfer me to a manager to complain as i don't have my password. are you all mad?
Robert_Robinson
Not applicable
Not happy. Switched from Plusnet in November as I was fed up with Plusnet's "we'll never offer unlimited" policy. Now I'm locked in a contract with a crap provider with terrible support. You can't win. All broadband providers are liars or cheats.
bluenose
I'm happy, signed up for the new unlimited on the 12 month deal, spoke to customer services on 27th re obtaining a new router (or is it a gateway?)- it arrived on 28th - how good is that! Switched off the old Thomson, plugged in the new Technicolor (is it a Thomson?) and off and running. Thanks Plusnet - can't wait til the switchover onto unlimited. Happy New Year ........
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@Si Waudby, account changes are scheduled for your billing date. You can use any ADSL/ADSL2+ compatible router. Seems odd that the routers you've tried all reboot? They're not using the same power supply are they? @sscutch, sorry to hear you're having a hard time. You will have chosen the password to the account when it was signed up. Whether your service is active or not you should still be able to use the forgotten password function on our website. Our support staff should also be able to verify your identity by asking other questions. If you can provide me with your account username then I'll certainly take a look and see if there's anything I can do to help? @Robert Robinson, we can't tell people about our plans too early for commercial reasons. There's always going to be a cut-off point. I don't think that makes us liars or cheats TBH. We'd obviously rather keep your custom than lose it! @bluenose, Happy New Year to you too! Smiley
PurcellRoad
Not applicable
Just signed up, expected a fight to get the new deal, but spoke to very pleasant gentleman called Nick in the call centre. Couldn't be happier with customer service, glad to still be with plusnet!! Not interested in the technical side (static ip etc), interested in being treated like a human, two thumbs up to plusnet!! Threads like this just add to the service and show the catering to multiple user groups
elkieluca
Grafter
I have just taken the plunge and changed to Unlimited. It will cost £9.99 instead of £11.49 a month with no limit. How can you beat that! Thank you Plusnet.
rockposer
Grafter
Would of been nice if Plusnet had emailed me about this new product. Stumbled upon it by chance, been on the PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 1 package for over 7 years @ £21.99 a month! Would I lose my fixed ip & 20-1 ratio?
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Contention ratios are a bit of a misnomer really these days Dan. You'll remain on the same provisioned product unless you're paying £21.99 + £~7 extra for Max Premium? You can keep a static IP but it may change.
AndyC1
Not applicable
But what about the (lack of) customer service. Currently can't get through to a human on the phone and can't get into my account online. The reset password screen is also not working. Appalling.
nolan1
Just browsing
Switched to new Unlimited on contract and apart from the fixed IP not carrying over (again - never seems to stick) it has been fine and impressed with the service so thanks Plusnet, I think the unlimited option was one barrier to competing with Sky/TT for instance but this levels the playing field. Happy New Year! Dan, I mentioned to an advisor about advertising this and although they recommmend logging in to the portal frequently, it would be better to have a higher profile launch. Could be Christmas overload and may be something more prominent now we are into the new year?
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@AndyC, always worth checking the wait times before giving us a call over at csc.plus.net. Sorry you were kept hanging though, anything I can help with? AFAIK there aren't any problems with the password reset functionality, just tried it on my account and it worked perfectly. @The 10th, has an IP been reassigned to your account? Give me a nudge if it hasn;t and I'll sort it. The launch has been pretty high profile already when you consider the TV ads we've been airing since boxing day.
MJJ68
First of all, I've been a PlusNet customer now for almost 10 years and have been very happy to recommend them to friends and family. I am currently on the 'Extra' package for £11.49 pm, where I am told my current product's estimated speed is 6Mb. When I click through the process of changing to the new 'Unlimited' package for £9.99, it then compares the two products and states, underneath the current one, that my new product's speed will be 5Mb! Will I really be changing over to a slower speed?
Clive_teather
Not applicable
There prices might start at £4.99 but I have to pay £16.99 Just because I don't live in a town, I could throw a stone at BT's exchange from my back door so why do I have to pay Extra ????
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@Mike, the new product's speed is simply an estimate taken from here - http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome In reality your speeds won't change at all. That logic's a bit broken really so we'll look at changing it to avoid confusion. @Clive, it's due to the Wholesale costs we have to pay to provide your service. Some exchanges are cheaper to supply service to than others. It's an Ofcom regulation. More info here - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/low_cost_areas.shtml
John6
Not applicable
Hi I am thinking of moving to the unlimited fibre product but I am wondering if there is or will be a pro add-on for it to get services like download sites and Usenet a higher priority again?
Kelly
Hero
It's available through the add on screen in member centre, but you don't need it.
julie5
Not applicable
Was on a monthly roll over plusnet value contract, phoned plusnet to ask if i could get unlimited at half price if signed up on 1 year contract, guy was very helpful and set this up for me. Happy customer cant wait til the 19th when unlimited starts, put a smile on my 6yr olds face, no more moaning mummy about exceeding the old 10gb contract I had. Been with plusnet for well over a year, cant fault them. Thanks
Templar
Hi, Just contracted to a new phone and broadband unlimited contract. Left a couple of questions on member centre to clarify some details No answer for 2 days going on three , could someone pick up the ball for me ?? Must say Ive been with Plusnet must be over 12yrs now and they do as they advertise and are by far one of the most consistent ISP's in the game. Was a bit worried when the Great Satan BT took over them but so far that has been unfounded. Keep up the great service and loyal staff they as they say DO Plusnet Proud , all the best for 2013
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Can you provide me with the ticket reference Robert?
Peter17
Not applicable
@tijara33 20.12.2012 "Well just do it & stop complaining. Easy" If only it was so easy! Anyway, only by complaining about the lack of discounts for loyal customers is there any hope of someone at Plus.Net taking notice. It's no good threatening to leave at the end of my contract as it's a new connection I'm after. Anyway, no point discussing this further - think I'd best 'agree to disagree with you'.
Steve_A
Not applicable
Having read the comments I guess you can't please everybody. I'd just like to say that I've just got Plusnet into my Flat (new install including a phone line). It was delievered on schedule and it was working the next day. I'm getting the download performance I was told I should get before ordering (about 7 MBPS), although the upload performance seems a bit poor (<.4 MBPS). At other places I've had BT and before that AOL, and this has been a very good experience. I'd appreciate any feedback on why the upload is slow (compared to the other ISPs in my Postcosde). Otherwise - well done lad!!
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Hi Peter, have you contacted our Customer Support Team to enquire about this? You'd be surprised by what you can achieve without having to threaten to cancel your account ;) Steve, if you can provide me with your account username or a recent support ticket reference then I'll happily uncap your upload for you (doesn't cost anything)?
Dave12
Not applicable
Is the monthly rental price fixed for the contract period or is it variable?
bobpullen1
Not applicable
It's fixed Dave. Should we ever increase it you'd be given sufficient notice. The phone service isn't contracted so you're free to move it to another BT-based supplier at any point should you chose to.
Dave12
Not applicable
Thanks for the prompt response Bob. However I'm confused by your reply. If it's fixed, how could it increase during the contract period? Additionally, I can't find anything in the terms and conditions or the price guide that confirms your statement. Where should I be looking?
CuBz
Grafter
I've only just found out about this. You realised how stressful it is trying to keep to usage allowance. I've been a happy customer for over 2 years now. You never fail at making customers happy. Thank you!
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Hi Dave, reading my comment back I can understand why you're confused. I wasn't very clear and it's a tad contradictory. Sorry. Line rental is fixed in that there are no plans in the pipeline to increase the price. We have increased it in the past though and when we have customers have been free to move their service to another BT-based provider without penalty. If you want to avoid the slim potential of the price increasing completely then you can pay for a year's line rental up front. You'd also save a few quid in the process - http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/line-rental-saver/
Dave12
Not applicable
Ah, my question wasn't terribly clear. I didn't mean line rental - I've already taken the line rental saver option. I meant broadband rental. Both essentials and unlimited offer a 12 month contract option, with early termination charge. So over that 12 month period is the *broadband* rental price fixed or variable? If it's fixed, where does it say that? If it's variable, does an increase mean the early termination charge doesn't apply? I suspect the answer is that it's variable and the charge applies even if there's a price increase. I doubt Plusnet are going to do anything untoward. However I'd like to know precisely what my financial obligations are going to be before signing up.
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Ah, I see. The answer to that depends on whether or not you've signed up to a promotional offer? The full cost of each package depends on where you live - http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html Any promotional discount you have is likely to last a year after which the cost of your service will revert back to full price. With ten years of service under my belt I would be *very* surprised if we increased the cost of these products during the contracted period ;) If we did then I'm pretty sure you'd be given the opportunity to leave without early termination penalties.
Ben1
Grafter
Hello, According to BT Wholesale's BB availability checker, fibre (I assume it is, it's called WBC FTTC) and Fibre Multicast will become available to our phone line on 31 March 2013. Given that improved speeds can't be guaranteed anyway (we get a maximum of 5Mb/s at the moment), do you think its best to hang on until then before I decide if we should have vanilla Unlimited or Fibre Unlimited? Many thanks, Ben
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Hi Ben, yes WBC FTTC is fibre. You could move to vanilla Unlimited now and then upgrade to Fibre when it's available? You're not penalised for upgrading before your vanilla Unlimited contract is up, you'd just start a new Fibre contract.
Spencer
Not applicable
Been with plusnet for three years plus now. Just broadband. Noticed they are running schemes for new customers who take broadband and phone with them for the new year 2013. Is it open to new customers who want to move over their phones but already have broadband with them? Nope. But it was apparently but you had to ask. Now it is not. Transparent I think not; rather like dealing with the good old DSS. So probably gonna leave my phone with BT. Been with them for 12 years and use 18185 and don't have to pay for caller display (pay up front and it is CHEAPER). In regard to broadband... not sure at the mo. I would like to be more transparent than plusnet and have this posted on their front page...