cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

QR Codes for Facebook

QR Codes for Facebook

QR Codes for Facebook

Have you met someone you want to 'add' to your Facebook but don't want to bother with all the troublesome introductions, words & eye contact? No problem! Simply use your phone to scan the barcode printed on their back! This is the promise made by the Add to Friends Facebook app. The application creates a custom QR Code for your Facebook profile and sends you to Zazzle to print your own barcoded T-shirt. Then any passerby who waves their phone at you can find you online! Of course it doesn't have to be Facebook and it doesn't have to be a T-shirt. QR Codes can be used to encode any URLs, phone numbers, free-form text or binary data. The mobile phone needs special reading software to make sense of the code. While most phones do not yet have this functionality, newer Nokia smartphones have it built-in and there are many free QR Code readers available for other phones. I tried out a couple of them and was quite impressed by the speed and accuracy of the code recognition. However the whole interaction is still pretty clunky. Until most phones come with built-in readers that are accessible from a dedicated button (or from within the camera application) I see limited use for QR codes in the real world. However the geek in me can't help chuckling with glee at the coolness of it! Update: it seemed a bit silly to have a post about QR codes that didn't include a code. So, what does that pattern of black and white squares mean?

0 Thanks
12 Comments
12 Comments
jwing
Grafter
Thats amazing, but I might find a little odd if somebody was to come up to me randomnly and try and scan me in the street!
petejackson
Grafter
I think if you're going to go to the trouble of having a T-shirt printed with a barcode on it you might expect, or even (God have mercy on your pitiful soul) want people to start scanning you.
Colin
Grafter
At last I have found a use for my N95's Barcode Reader!
Tamlyn
Grafter
Even better than that, you can turn your N95 into a light saber!
bobpullen1
Not applicable
"Update: it seemed a bit silly to have a post about QR codes that didn’t include a code. So, what does that pattern of black and white squares mean?" All your barcodes are belong to us!
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Where do I claim my prize BTW? Wink
Simpsoid1
Not applicable
This is FANTASTIC ... ... and also slightly sad at the same time !! xD
prichardson1
Not applicable
Uber sad - I spent ages playing with this Cheesy
bobpullen1
Not applicable
Nice avatar ;) "Phil Richardson - Business Support Analyst & Geek" I had to increase the image size somewhat before my phone would pick it up though.
Tamlyn
Grafter
"I had to increase the image size somewhat before my phone would pick it up though." That's because the wordpress template doesn't display the avatars at full size. If you view one of phil's forum posts you get the full size avatar.
streetstylz
Not applicable
Give the NeoReader a try :) It is able to read and decipher all common non-proprietary 2D codes (Data Matrix, QR, Aztec, Maxi) as well as URL embedded 2D codes and all 1D UPC/EAN/Code 128 open source codes. The NeoReader supports direct and indirect code linking, which guarantees maximum interoperability with already existing platforms like 2D Data Matrix Semacodes, and Japanese QR links. This allows the user to click on a variety of codes with a single application installed on their mobile device. http://www.neoreader.com
S_ren
Not applicable
I think this is really bizar! And you guys are cheering?! Have none of you read George Orwell - 1984? Now you want to index us like cars in a factory. Thats not cool, thats just bad news!