cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

21CN Progress Update - December 2008 - BRAS Speed Distributions

Update June 2009 Please see this blog for details on how to take part in the ADSL2+ trial. Please do not add a comment to this blog. Thanks. Trial Update Last month we posted that we were ready to begin customer trials of Higher Speed Broadband using 21CN. So far 26 of our customers have volunteered, along with 29 staff members and we now have 49 live lines (the remaining 6 are currently in progress or waiting for the exchange to be enabled). Our provisioning lead times remain on target, only one of the latest orders had a delay which we put down to the exchange only just being enabled, all the others were delivered on time. The customers that are taking part in the trial are starting to provide feedback in our forums about their speeds and experiences here. Our current plans for the trial are to try and add a few more customers between now and Tuesday. If you'd like to volunteer please add your name to this thread and we'll add you to the trial. Just for logistical reasons we won't be placing anyone else on to the trial over the Christmas and New Year period so we'll hold back any requests made after Tuesday until the beginning of January. We will shortly be sending an email to a small number of customers on some of the enabled exchanges to let them know that 21CN is available and asking them if they'd like to take part in the trial. This will of course be completely optional. We'd like to add between 50 and 100 customers from this email to the trial in January (split into 2 batches). So long as our success criteria based around the number of faults, contacts from customers and order delivery dates are met we will start increasing the number of customers in each batch. BRAS Distribution We thought it may be interesting to post a breakdown of the speeds our customers see. The following graphs are based on the BRAS profiles set at the exchanges. The first graph shows the general distribution of speeds for customers on Max (we've excluded customers on 21CN, LLU and fixed rate 512, 1Mbps and 2Mbps products from this graph). The second graph shows the speeds of customers on 21CN. While the third graph shows the speeds those customers on 21CN had on 20CN before they were upgraded (note: a couple of the 21CN customers were new provides rather than migrations so don't have a before profile). There are a few unknowns where either the customer hasn't connected yet or we've never had a delta report through from BT, normally these will be sync'd at the full 8Mbps. About a quarter of our 21CN lines have a BRAS profile of 8000kbps or higher, the fastest is currently 17000kbps with a sync rate of just over 20000kbps. The big gainers thus far as we'd expect are those that had over 6Mbps on ADSL with some noticeable increases for some of the longer lines under 1.5Mbps. Dave Tomlinson Plusnet Product Team

0 Thanks
118 Comments
118 Comments
greyposter11
Not applicable
For a few days my 'upload' speed rose but then reverted to pre-trial speed.
The median post-21CN BRAS profile doesn't seem to be above about 8Mbits - is there a reason for this?
juleswilko
Hello, Could I volunteer / request ADSL 2+ trials at all? What details do you need to know? Regards Julian Wilkinson
norskman
Please add me to the trial - I am less than 2km from ELSTREE exachange. The same one that the BT chairman is on. It is 21CN enabled. I used to be on BE Broadband and synced at 18Mbps (top was 24). many thanks
Alan_Gregory
Not applicable
Could I volunteer for ADSL2+ trials please My local exchange is Heaton Moor Regards Alan
Bill_McClean
Not applicable
I have the equipment and my exchange is up to speed so please add me to the trial. Many thanks, Bill
mr9lt
Please include me in the trial, Plymouth Crownhill. Site due to be enabled 31stJan09 Results: Crownhill Code: WWCRWN County: Devon BT have announced a ready for service date for this exchange. The estimated go live date of 31st January 2009 and was last updated 9th November 2008.
Bradley_Flemmin
Not applicable
Hi, I would also like to volunteer for the ADSL2+ trials. However I'm unsure of the status of the LLU at my local exchange - O2 and BE offer 20Mbs via this exchange but the BT Wholsale status says: 21CN WBC status: RFS date set : 31/03/2009. I'd appreciate being added to the trial as soon as it's available. Kind regards, Bradley.
Duncan_Shard
Not applicable
Please add me to the trial in Feb. Thanks Merton Park Code: LSMEPK County: London - Greater BT have announced a ready for service date for this exchange. The estimated go live date of 31st January 2009 and was last updated 9th November 2008.
Dave_Chaffe
Not applicable
Please add me to the trial. Exchange; WWCRWN, (Devon) Go live; 31/1/2009
Neil_Burrows
Not applicable
Hi there, Please add me to the 21CN trial MRURM - Manchester, Urmston Live as of 30/4/2008. Kind Regards, Neil
chrisrosevilla
Grafter
Please add me to the trial Manchester Moss Side enabled. Thanks Chris
Steven_Metcalfe
Not applicable
Please add me to the 21CN trial. Leyton exchange enabled. Kind Regards Steve
Englebert
Dabbler
Please add me to the trail. I'm less than 1 mile from my 21CN exchange which is TEDDINGTON (LSTED). The exchange migrated 31/12/08. Thanks Andy
Kieran_Ashman
Not applicable
i would be very grateful if i could possibly participate in this trial. Many Thanks Kieran
Iain_Robinson
Not applicable
I am informed that the Reigate exchange 01737 is being updated now to enble 21CN technology. Is it possible to updgrade to this or can I join the trial
xk1000
Not applicable
Hi - please consider adding me to the trial. Thanks. K
manastro
Grafter
I would like to be added to the trial as and when my exchange is converted. According the BT Exchange status this is scheduled for end of February 2009. I have just purchased a new Linksys ADSL2 Gateway to replace my aging D-Link DSL-G604T router but not installed it yet.
Tim4
Not applicable
Please add me to the list of trial volunteers. Ealing exchange was scheduled to be upgraded in Nov 08, though the website doesn't actually say whether the upgrade is completed.
Chris_Vernon
Not applicable
I have the hardware and the exchange, <200m from Bristol West. It would be great to be added to the trial!
Mathew_Chambers
Not applicable
Please add me to the 21CN trial. Plusnet have confirmed my exchange has been upgraded. Kind Regards Matt.
rappmx
Dabbler
Just received an email stating my exchange has been upgraded. Please add me to the 21CN trial. Thanks, Martyn
Chris13
Not applicable
Please add me to the liust of volunteers. I am in the correct area according to your email. Only problem is my hardware is a BT1800HG supplied by yourselves.I cannot find if this is compatible or not.
micky342
Not applicable
Please add me to your list for the 21CN trial. I have checked that the Rickmansworth exchange is suitable. Hardware is a Netgear DG834GT and suitable. Many thanks Mike
LastRoMan
Grafter
I received an invitation to join the trial today and my local exchange (WALSALL) is enabled. I have submitted a ticket stating my wish to be considered for the 21CN trial. I have agreed to T & C. I look forward to potentially better speeds.
Christopher_M_K
Not applicable
Hi, Could I volunteer for the ADSL 2+ trials Regards Christopher M Kelly
Jo_Brookes
Not applicable
Hi I'd like to volunteer for this thanks
Robert_Warner
Not applicable
Hi I'd like to volunteer for the ADSL2+ trail Thanks, Rob.
Dave_Kay
Not applicable
Hi, bebroadband is offering me ADSL2+ at my exchange (Hunts Cross) can I volunteer for the trial please Thanks Dave
onlyconnectcom
Not applicable
Hi, My exchange - Chiswick W4 - has now been enabled as of 16/2/09 and I would like to volunteer for the ADSL2+ trial. Do I need to submit a ticket? This used to be the case, but your advice now seems to be just to add my name and email here. Interesting to see the graphs and in particular the before and after figures for trial participants. While we have had a shaky run on ADSLmax speeds during December and have had some adjustments undertaken by BTW at the exchange thanks to PN's advocacy on our behalf, we now seem to have a reasonably settled IP Bras at 6 - 6.5k and speeds often measuring around 5.5k using PN's Ookla, and around 5.0k using thinkbroadband.com's speed testing system. Sitting at the upper end of the ADSLmax range would seem to indicate that we could see some significant benefits from 21C network changes at the exchange, though our history of bungled switchovers by BTW - the move to ADSLmax left us without broadband for 5 weeks! - don't give us total confidence, but nothing ventured, nothing gained and I'd like to be able to give clients some sense of what they might expect. Fingers crossed. Simon.
onlyconnectcom
Not applicable
Interesting - I'm happy for you to check - reassured in fact, it's just that I do seem to be logged in...
drapes
Please add me to the trial - my exchange is enabled (Altrincham) and my modem is ready... Thanks, -Mat
Wally_Mole
Not applicable
Please add me to the trial if you are still adding to the list.
Rajeewa_Abeyago
Not applicable
Please add me to the 21CN trial. Plusnet have confirmed my exchange has been upgraded. Exchange name: Beckenham Exchange code: LSBEC Location: London, South East Postcode: BR36LJ 21CN WBC status: Enabled as of 15/02/2009 Kind Regards Abeyagoonasekera
tomallen35
Hi Please add me to the 21CN trial when you next add new people. My exchange is: Exchange name: Norwich City Exchange code: EANCC Location: Norfolk, East Postcode: NR24AE Which went 21CN WBC live on 15/02/2009 Thanks! Tom
Ragnar_Percy-Be
Not applicable
I would like to be included in your trial Thanks Ragnar
VOD
Grafter
I would like to enter the trial, I understand the T&M's. Regards David Marshall
Andrew_Hardisty
Dabbler
Hi, My Dad is also a F9 customer and the exchange he is on (Durham) has recently been upgraded. He's imterested in seeing if ADSL2 can improve on his 512kbps connection speed! He has a compatible router - BT Voyager 2091. Thanks
pbatchelor
Not applicable
Can you please add me to this trial ADSL2+ when it become available in my area many thanks
Shaun_Bartlett
Not applicable
Please add me to the trial, I am less than a mile from the Weymouth Exchange and ADSL2 went live today! Yay!! 🙂
Edenderry
Not applicable
Please add me to the adsl2+ trial Thanks
Ann1
Not applicable
Please add me to the trial list. Thanks
kevin_fairbroth
Not applicable
i am happy to trial adsl2+ please add me to the list
Steve_Nisbet
Not applicable
Would like to trial please, 300 yards from Bolton exchange as the crow flies, bit longer as the badger runs Smiley Heavy user and I do a lot of VPN into Manc Universities.
Robert_Tremain
Not applicable
Would like to trial please, my exchange is due to run ADSL2 this month. Exchange name - Dartford
lenseman
Grafter
Hi, Today BT Wholesale WBC has enabled the Eastbourne exchange, this is the one I am connected on. I would appreciate been considered for the ADSL2 trial. Thanks
Richard_Stubbs
Not applicable
We are just a stones throw from the Eastbourne Exchange please can we be added to the trial.
Tony_Card
Not applicable
Hello Plusnet It looks like Bracknell is enabled, so please add me to the 21CN trial. Thanks Tony.
Nigel_King
Not applicable
Would like to trial please, BT Wholesale WBC has enabled the Gerrards Cross Exchange Many Thanks
Deepfat
Dabbler
I would like to be added to the trial. My Exchange has been upgraded as of Saturday (Leighton Buzzard). Many thanks, Phil.