Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi fi speed

jonjo29
Hooked

Wi fi speed

Wi Fi Speed

Hi 

Some help would be appreciated. I have just recently signed up for faster broadband but cannot get more than 10 Mb. on my computer

If i use a ethernet hard wire cable  from my hub1 router to my computer I get 36 Mb  

If I remove the ethernet cable and just use wifi I get 10 Mb.

By the way' my router is about 2 metres away from my computer.

Using wifi on my laptop next to my computer i am getting 38 Mb.

If I move the laptop  to my living room ( about 5 or 6 meters away )  wifi speed is still 38 Mb.

I have gone into Avanced settings and tried diferent chanels (I admit,not all of them yet) but dont seem to get more than 11 Mb.

Any other tips could you recommend.

Thanks 

John

15 REPLIES 15
jmeskell16

Re: Wi fi speed

Plus nets speeds are useless. I have nothing but problems from the moment it arrived. Im just counting down the days till my contract runs out... suggest you do the same

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@jmeskell16 wrote:

Plus nets speeds are useless. I have nothing but problems from the moment it arrived. 

If you have a speed issue then post in a decent manner asking for help or raise it as a fault instead of giving it mouth about a problem the Plusnet staff won't anything about until you've posted the problem. You will find the staff (and other members) very helpful if you post in a positive manner.

@jonjo29

What speed fibre did you sign up for? 38/2 (shortly to be 38/10) or the 80/20?

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
NicHa
Dabbler

What type of WiFi adapter do you have in your Desktop computer?  Sounds like this could be the issue (since you can get much faster speed with a different PC if I understand it).

jonjo29
Hooked

Thanks for reply,

I suspected it at first that the problem could be my compter.I don't know what type of adaptor is in my computer. And to be honest I don't nkow how to find out. would i be able to get a dongle and use that for a wifi signal.

John

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Go to device manager -> Network Adapters -> open the properties on your wifi adapter.

Look at the 802.11 versions (a/b/n) which are supported.  at 10mbps I suspect that it is 'a' only.

Yes you could get a wifi dongle, but if the router is near your PC, what's the problem remaining connected via an Ethernet cable?  It will always perform better than wifi.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

NicHa
Dabbler

....and a +1 to Townman's reply.  Where possible I always use Ethernet connections rather than WiFi, faster and more reliable all around in my experience.

jonjo29
Hooked

Thanks, will give it a try

jonjo29
Hooked

The router is located in a hallway. My computer is located about 2 metres away and the cable crosses the hallway. Sods law that  one of the inhabitants of this  household will trip over it.  Cannot re-locate the router either.. But I get your drift about using the ethernet cable. But it's one of those situations where it's bugging me and I have got to fix it.

But once again i appreciate the time you take to reply .

jonjo29
Hooked

I have got as far as Network Adapters and clicked on it.It brings up the name of the Adapter. ( Qualcom Atheros )but nothing resembling 802.11 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Some adapters indicate their spec in their names ... for others you need to inspect the detailed properties.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@jonjo29 wrote:

It brings up the name of the Adapter. ( Qualcom Atheros )but nothing resembling 802.11 

Did you right click on the adaptor and go to properties?  It should bring up more details than just the name.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
jonjo29
Hooked

Qualcom Atheros AR500 7EG  

Under that it gives details of Realtec ethernet 

below that again it gives a list of Wan miniports

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Have you tried updating the driver? This has been known to fix a few problems.

jonjo29
Hooked

Never thought of that. Will give it a try