Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub 6 Variants and Performance

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Smart Hub 6 Variants and Performance

No, drops broadband connection. Did it on ADSL with a variety of modems and continues to do it. As I said, it is erratic. sometimes a few times a day and then nothing for a month (other than router initiated). I have been investigating it for years on other threads but have given up and decided I have a strange line. This router reboots around every 14 days as expected.

Kevin
Rising Star

Yeah, probably is 14 days. Never caught it at it though! Smiley

Kevin.
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Updated to SG4B1B0092B4 this morning. hoping it might do something about my line disconnects which have become a problem again!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I see that mine also updated on Tuesday to the same firmware.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Well, i'm not getting too excited and it may be pure coincidence but after 1 or two drops a day for a few weeks preceding the update, I have not had one drop or disconnection since the update.Grin

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

I've read through this long thread and unless I've missed it, did anyone confirm whether the DSL port on the FTTP (not Ultrafast) smart hub could be used on ADSL or FTTC connections?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Baldrick1

I've not come across an answer to this one. It would be interesting to get one and see what its capabilities are.

I guess it comes down to whether in configuring a LAN port as WAN the modem firmware got stripped out. I have an old Asus N55U modem/router where a firmware update allowed this same arrangement but the required configuration has to be selected  in the settings. I suspect, but don't know if the BT firmware is more of a single mode bodge to tide BT over until their new Hub became available. I would love to be wrong on this one!

Moderator and Customer

bill888
Champion

On a different note, I picked up a brand new FTTC Business Smart Hub (late 2018 ) with firmware SG4B1B008198.

I tried to set it up as a wireless access point (ie. change LAN IP address and disable DHCP server etc).   Unfortunately, it doesn't work 'reliably'.  The issues I found may be the similar to what is described by @typonaut in this locked thread.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Configuring-a-BT-SmartHub-6A-as-an-Etherner-Switch-Rou...

My setup is pretty much identical to your original post #1 in above thread.

I found the LAN ports seem to stop working randomly and/or not passing traffic between smart hub (access point) and LEDE HH5A router.

If I disconnect the ethernet cable between the smart hub and the HH5A, and enable DHCP server on the smart hub without a reboot, it behaves normally with wired PC connected and I can log into the smart hub.

I can only speculate there is something in the BT firmware which is causing this issue, perhaps to dissuade users from using Smart Hub as an access point.  (I've previously witnessed some 'degraded' speed issues with Hub One configured as an access point after several days use)

When the smart hub was briefly working as an access point, I did observe the 5 GHz wifi is much better than a HH5A.  The 2.4 GHz didn't seem to be any better on brief testing.

Introducing an ethernet switch between the smart hub and the HH5A makes no difference.  I've now given up trying to use the smart hub as an access point.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Updated to SG4B1B0092B4 this morning. -- from last April

My HH6 updated yesterday, going well from day one and no apparent difference today. I suppose it takes a while to get  round a million HHs

Baldrick1

@bill888 

Why not use the Smarthub6 as the router and configure the HH5A as a WAP?

Moderator and Customer

bill888
Champion

fwiw, I previously tried a HH5A with stock (old) plusnet firmware as a WAP. I found after a few days use, the 5 GHz wifi speeds dropped to around 25 mbps for no apparent reason.  

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-2nd-Plusnet-Hub1-as-a-Wireless-Access-point/td-p/138...

It's as if BT intentionally put something in their firmwares to 'discourage' users from using the hubs as a WAP.  HH5a is also poor compared to Smart Hub for coverage/speeds on 5 GHz.

I do use HH5a with LEDE as a WAP and it is reliable, but LEDE/OpenWRT does have issues with their 'open sourced' wifi drivers,  The LAN to 5GHz wifi speeds maxing out at 130mbps, and compatibility issues with  Intel wifi cards in laptops on 2.4 GHz that I don't witness with stock BT/PN firmware with their better closed wifi drivers.  

(BT hub's don't support DDNS and ICMP Ping, so I don't use them as routers)

sfrewins

Hi Baldrick1

Thank you for your very comprehensive post on the Smart Hub 6. I am thinking of getting a Smart Hub 6 from ebay to replace my PlusNet Hub One. The performance difference in that BT link you posted are impressive so it looks worth the effort. My question is this: At the moment, I have Fibre Broadband with PlusNet and presume that I only have to unplug and disconnect the PlusNet Hub One and substitute the Smart Hub 6 and enter my PlusNet username and password and it should work out of the box {so to speak}?

At the moment, the line from the router is connected to the test socket on a standard NTE master socket via an ADSL microfilter. In your opinion, is it worth getting an NTE5 socket {or an alternate newer socket}? Or is the hassle/ difficulty of changing sockets not worth the improved performance {if any?}..

Many thanks

Mark280
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@sfrewins wrote:

...Iam thinking of getting a Smart Hub 6 from ebay to replace my PlusNet Hub One. The performance difference in that BT link you posted are impressive so it looks worth the effort. My question is this: At the moment, I have Fibre Broadband with PlusNet and presume that I only have to unplug and disconnect the PlusNet Hub One and substitute the Smart Hub 6 and enter my PlusNet username and password and it should work out of the box {so to speak}?

Yes - that is more or less it - but there are a couple of other things you would probably want to do - which have probably been mentioned already in this long thread. So...

1. Enter your Plusnet broadband Username and Password.

2. Switch 'Smart Setup' to Off

3.Turn off any Guest/Public/BT WiFi

4. If you have done so with your previous setup then separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Optionally...

5. Change the WiFi network SSID name and password to the same as your existing - which saves having to add new details to all your existing devices (although you might still need to 're-start' their WiFi connection on some devices that don't reconnect first time). You could do the same for the router admin password too, to save learning a new one.

6. Dim (or even turn off) the front LED light

P.S. I have a virtually brand new BT Business Smart Hub (Hub 6) that I acquired very recently - yours for £20 including delivery - if you are interested, just send me a private message.

Mark280
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@sfrewins wrote:

... At the moment, the line from the router is connected to the test socket on a standard NTE master socket via an ADSL microfilter. In your opinion, is it worth getting an NTE5 socket {or an alternate newer socket}? Or is the hassle/ difficulty of changing sockets not worth the improved performance {if any?}.

If you are connecting to your master socket, then you are unlikely to see any difference in performance.

A new socket/faceplate with an integrated filter is at least neater/tidier looking.

Only BT (actually now 'Openreach') can/should replace the master socket - it's their property - which could be a bit expensive.

However, you could replace the 'faceplate' for one with an integrated filter/splitter.

A long time ago I fitted an 'ADSL Nation' faceplate to my NTE socket - but I only have ADSL, and I can't say whether it would be suitable for 'VDSL/Fibre'.

[Edit]: That said, I just 'Googled' and found this... https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/ADSL-Nation-Filter-suitable-for-Fibre-Broadband/td-p/97... ...but obviously you must decide for yourself.

sfrewins

Hi Mark280,

Thanks for your replies. I suspected that would be the case with socket change, but thanks for confirming that. It's always good to know for sure.

I would have taken you up on the Smart Hub 6 offer but had already picked up one from ebay before I saw your reply.

Thanks again for taking the time to help out a newbie!

Simon