cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub 6 Variants and Performance

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Smart Hub 6 Variants and Performance

Thanks for the clarification. It would be interesting to hear if others have had similar results.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

grumpystumpy

I have noticed a similar issue.
About a month ago i purchased a BT hub 6 to replace a Plusnet hub one, as its WiFi performance wasn't great. It was from eBay, listed as unused.
The hub 6 was set up according to the instructions on this forum (including a factory reset) and worked first time. The WiFi performance was a bit better, which was enough to make a difference.
Firmware updated on Dec 11th to SG4B1000B540.
A few days ago internet access seemed slow.
A brodband speed test showed it was down a lot (over a wired connection). As several new WiFi devices had been added over Xmas, I gave it the benefit of the doubt and rebooted the hub 6. However, although the speed increased a lot, it wasn't at the expected level.
Swapping back to the hub one, gave an immediate increase in speed to normal levels. When I put the hub 6 back in, the speed dropped back again, even with WiFi turned off.

This is a summary of the results
(All readings over a single wired connection)
Hub 6 initial: 32.7, 39.3
After reboot 63.6, 62.5

Swap for hub one - 69.3, 72.8
Back to hub 6 - 59.9, 56.0

The downstream synch speed is 80

Although we don't notice this difference on a day to day basis, it really bothers me and I'm wondering whether to swap back to the hub one.
Bacalhau
Dabbler

Would you recommend the BT Business Smart Hub 6 or the Zyxxel that is being provided to John Lewis customers (Zyxel VMG8924-B10A I think)?

Also I saw mention of a "BT Smart Hub X"... What is that?

Finally, is BT Business Smart Hub still the latest, greatest model, or are there new models in this line now? (I see there is a Smart Hub 2 but dont know if there is a Business variant).
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@Bacalhau

Here is a useful link with information about the BT Hub X :

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/01/uk-isp-bt-launch-new-smart-hub-x-router-g-fast-broadba...

Brian

Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I have followed this thread with interest, many thanks to all who have shared their experiences. What is the current thinking on PN Hub One versus the HH6? I'm very happy with PN One and my PN 35Mb service, but would there be advantage in replacing it with the HH6 ? I can get a new one still in the box for £25 so it might be worth having as a spare router.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If you are happy with the Wifi performance of your PN Hub then i would stick with it. I think most people move to the HH6 to improve on the Wifi performance of the PN hub as it is not great. That's what I did and now get a good signal in a room that was a blackspot with the PN Hub.

PT

Baldrick1

It doesn't hurt to have a spare in the cupboard especially if you Hub One decides to join the noisy brigade. They also look a lot better than the garish Hub One and you can control the light.

Moderator and Customer

Longliner
Seasoned Pro

Then I'll get the HH6 and keep one or other as a spare. Wifi isn't an issue as we have a couple of Devolo repeaters, our old house has concrete walls that literally defeat a hammer drill never mind wifi! Thank you for sharing your experience, and best wishes to all you Plusnet people!

Baldrick1

Try the Smarthub 6, the setting instructions are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85....

Whilst concrete might defeat your hammer drill it's quite likely that it's  steel reinforcement within the concrete that's killing your wifi.

Moderator and Customer

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Although BT Now have the Smart Hub2 which does work with plusnet.

A slightly nicer design I think !

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Hub2 review:

"The only downside to Wi-Fi on this device is that unlike its predecessors, there is no option in the user interfce to split the 2.4 and 5GHz ranges into different SSIDs, something that is necessary with some older Wi-Fi hardware that needed to be directed to the right channel range."

Looks like a no-no for many apple users then.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

i am an Apple user and have no problem with Smart Hub 2 on any Apple device I use. Or my Smart tv or Humax that only uses 2.4GHz

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Quite a few apple users on this forum have had issues, particularly with the PN Hub (but also with the HH6 I think) that have been resolved by splitting the SSID's. My brothers devices had connection problems when we upgraded him to a HH6 until we split them. I have no apple devices so haven't experienced the problem. I presume it can't be a massive problem or there would be more complaints but would be annoying to be affected with no way to sort it.

LifeonMars
Seasoned Pro

As I said no Problem with the BT Smart Hub 2 , perhaps Apple updates have sorted.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro

Many thanks Baldrick, it was your very clear instructions that gave me the idea to try the HH6. There's no steel in our walls, but 50 years ago nobody bothered with insulation and they were built with concrete blocks using basalt aggregate. Today's blocks are lightweight clinker or similar for insulation while most internal walls are dry lined ie plasterboard on a timber frame which stops neither wifi nor noise ... my brother's five-year-old house has no wifi problems but plenty of others!