cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing a mobile phone with Google Calendar

I use my Nokia Mobile phone calendar as my primary organiser. This is because when I need to note a date or an event, I'm usually out and about and not at a computer. However, I also use Google Calendar to share events with other people. These two calendars would often get out of sync as no-one likes to duplicate effort.
There is a solution to this problem though. You can sync your mobile calendar with Google Calendar using a helpful application called GooSync. I use a Nokia 95, but GooSync supports a lot of other mobile phones as you can see on their Supported Devices page.
Interested? Head over to their registration page and fill in the details. The forum is self explanatory and once completed you'll get a confirmation email to activate your account. Follow the link in it to activate your account and then log in.
The next step is to identify which mobile phone you are using. Find your mobile in the support list and selected it. Providing your mobile supports it, you can then get Goosync to autoconfigure your mobile for syncing with a text message. This is the easiest way to configure your phone, but you can only do it 3 times. (I presume this is because it costs Goosync for each sms message!). Fill out the details to get the auto configuration settings. Important! Remember to put the international dialling number in front of your phone number. I.e. If your mobile number starts 07838, you put it in as +447838 (provided you are in the UK!)
Once you've received the SMS, open it on your phone. Your phone may warn you that the message is from an "Untrusted Server". Just accept this message and follow the instructions on the SMS. Providing that all worked ok, click the continue button Goosync page.
The next step is to add your Google Calendar API details into Goosync. Select the type of account you have (Google Personal/Google Apps) and press Authorize. This will then take you to the Google Accounts log in screen and ask you to log in. If you are already logged into your Google Calendar, or similar account, you may not see this step. Log in with your Google Calendar details.
Google will then ask you to grant access for Goosync to your google calendar. Authorise this, and after a few moments, you'll be returns to the Goosync web page.
Now, you just need to sync your phone. On the Nokia n73 and n95, go into your menu > Tool and select the Sync application. You should see an entry called GooSync. Select that option and start a synchronisation.
Providing all worked well, your calendars should synchronise!

0 Thanks
2 Comments
2 Comments
xpcomputers
Grafter
What happens to events that are already on both devices on first sync? Does it intelligently combine them? Do you end up with duplicates?
Also, so you mean the "form" is self explanatory rather than "forum"?
Good article though...
Kelly
Hero
This probably needs updating in lieu of Goosync planning to remove their free service. http://www.google.com/mobile/products/sync.html might do the trick!