cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing gaming compatibility with the Thomson TG585v8 (XBOX,PS3,PC)

This article shows you how to increase compatibility between the Thomson TG585v8 router and some multiplayer internet games, specifically those on the XBOX and PS3.

For the Technicolor TG582n, these commands are not required and a setting called Game Mode can be enabled/disabled under the 'Game & Application Sharing' page.

If you are confronted with the error on your game that your connection NAT type is strict, then this will allow you to set it to open.
You will need to connect to the router via telnet.
If you have Windows 7 or Windows Vista then you will need to install the telnet application first.
To enable telnet go to control panel → programs and features→ turn windows features on and off, then tick the box next to telnet client and click OK. Windows will now spend a few minutes enabling this feature.
Enabling Telnet in Windows Vista and Windows 7
Once telnet is enabled you need to connect to the router.
Press the Windows Key (to the right of the Ctrl key) and R together.
In the run box that appears delete all the text and type telnet 192.168.1.254 and click OK.
You will now be asked for a username, enter your router username, this is usually admin.
You will now be asked for a password, enter your router password, this is usually the serial number and must be entered in capital letters.
You are now logged into the command line interface of the router.
Copy and paste the following commands into the window.
 :connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=69
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3074
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=3478-3479
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=88
 saveall
 Assuming there were no errors, please restart your XBOX/PS3/PC, you should have no further problems with strict NAT.
178 Comments
178 Comments
TuffT
Not applicable
Hi Joanne
I just noticed you replying to a few of the above comments that were raised after my query on the 5th, if it helps my last ticket number was 50468979.
If that is closed and you want more info please ask.
Kind Regards
Tim Gray
Kind Regards
Tim
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Hi Tim,
This has been done for you now.
Jojo Smiley
TuffT
Not applicable
Hi Jo,
Thank you very much.
Regards
Tim
jamiep666
Not applicable
Hi Jo/Matt,
I have raised a ticket - 50795344.
The original telnet solution worked for modern warfare 3 but I still get restrictive on FIFA 12 - please help.
Thanks
jamiep666
Not applicable
Hi Matt,
Alos - I did try the new commands in telnet but it kept saying 'failed to unbind'
Leeheyes
Grafter
Is this thread still open and running? If so, ticket 51033752
It only stays open for as long as I leave the PS3 on. Turn it off, come back the next day and it's strict again. Other services that run in the house are mainly Sonos and Spotify.
CrazyQ
Not applicable
Hi Johanne/Matt
I still seem to be having problems after trying all the solutions above
It reverts back to being strict everytime i turn my PC on and sometimes on the rare occasion when i relaunch MW3
I have posted a support ticket #51035669
Thanks
Matt
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
HI guys,
I'll take a look at them this morning.
Jojo Smiley
Leeheyes
Grafter
Great, thanks
bowser82
Not applicable
Hi, how do I raise a ticket for someone at plusnet to open my router ports?
CrazyQ
Not applicable
Hi Jo
Did you manage to get round to doing them?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
@ CrazyQ, yes I've done that now.
@Leeheyes, I can't remotely set up a v7, it keeps failing for some reason. We're looking into that.
@bowser82, Click on this link
https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=wizard&page=22966&wizard_id=38
Then type in the box:
FAO Joanne Pilson, Can you please remotely set up my Thomson router for game mode settings.
Then click "Send your question to the support team"
Jojo Smiley
bowser82
Not applicable
Hi Jo
I sent a request to that link to raise a ticket. Unfortunately the reply I got said that they couldn't do it remotely Sad
The question/ticket number was #51105399
Leeheyes
Grafter
JoJo, thanks for trying. This is immensely frustrating as I can either use the v8 I got originally (and have poor wi-fi) or the v7 (and poor gaming despite paying extra). Do you offer any router other than Thomson?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
HI bowser82,
I've done that for you now.
@Leeheyes, we don't supply anything but the Thomson at the moment but I've just had a word about updating the v7 and we should have something sorted for this afternoon. Once we do, I'll apply it and let you knw it's done.
@barryhayley, I'll remember to do yours too.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
@barryhayley,
that's been done for you now.
@leeheyes, had a spot of bother with yours. You will need to log into your router and click connect and then I'll have to set it up again. Sorry about that.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
@leeheyes,
That's done for you now.
Jojo Smiley
bowser82
Not applicable
Thanks Jo
Everything works fine Smiley
Leeheyes
Grafter
Thanks Jojo, everything seems fine
iamstreety
Not applicable
Have been following the thread and have tried the above telnet commands. Also tried port forwarding and opening the ports needed for FIFA 12 to no avail.
I have raised a support ticket. #51502114
Could you fix it for me please Jo?
MJBling
Not applicable
Jojo, after much searching I found this string.... I have raised a Question #51554330. I hope you can help me...
Regards
MJB
MJBling
Not applicable
I am logged in..... 😕
seanjenks1
Not applicable
Have been following the thread and have tried the above telnet commands. Also tried port forwarding and opening the ports needed for FIFA 12 to no avail.
I have raised a support ticket. #51629972
Could you fix it for me please Jo?
MJBling
Not applicable
Well, for what it's worth I have followed this string completing the actions and I still have NAT Type 2. I raised a ticket for Joanne and was told she is unavailable and customer services were unable to help any further..... I made another request and got told it’s not possible to remote set (how was Joanne able to help previously then???) and instructed to use this link, it was very helpful for analysts (name removed - spraxyt). Well not for me it seams. Not really impressed with the whole situation.....
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Hopefully a member of staff will be along on Monday to respond.
tedmoo
seanjenks1 I have the exact same problem. Although it's strange that the telnet method makes my NAT OPEN on MW3 but on FIFA 12 its 80% of the time RESTRICTIVE 20% Moderate. Doing my head in, losing connection to games and subsequently losing the match even when winning. Tried everything, EXCEPT turning the Firewall off in the router, which says 'This level is protected and not editable.' So how do I turn it off if Plusnet say it can't be done remotely. Is the EA bullsh*t or Plusnet provision of an Awful router??
Why is Joanne not available anymore?Huh
I think I might change broadband provider, that gives a decent router, instead of purchasing one myself. As I'm paying £5 a month extra for better gaming connectivity, Ridiculous.
Sort it plusnet please!
orbrey1
Not applicable
Hi all,
Apologies for the delay in coming back to you all, Joanne will be addressing any tickets marked for her attention this afternoon. If your ticket has been passed back to you please return it to our support centre and we'll make sure they're passed on.
firemaster50
Grafter
done this for battlefield 3 xbox 360 cant connect to servers still please help works with modernwarfare 3 but uses a different port please help i tried everything at my wits end with this router now!
This is whats used taken from Ea's site:
f you are playing on Xbox 360, please enable the following online ports on your connection:
TCP: 53, 88, 3074
UDP: 53, 88, 3074
johnp62
Not applicable
Hi Joanne.
Thanks for fixing my NAT type problems on my PS3.
Unfortunatly I have just come stumbled on another problem.
I can't buy anything from the Playstation Store.
I get error code 80023102.
On phoning Sony they advise it is a porting issue with the new v8 router.
Detais on ticket No 52144739.
Hope you can help me with this.
Thanks John.
sirfuzzydunlop
Not applicable
Hi Jojo
I opened a ticket (#52326946) regarding the strict NAT settings
Thank you
perrysefton
Not applicable
hi jojo/matt
I opened a ticket (#52586715) regarding the strict NAT settings on ps3 thanks.
Marcradan
Not applicable
Hi JoJo or Matt
I opened a ticket (#52969051) regarding the strict NAT settings on xbox. Can you please have a look?
Thanks
perkinss
Anyone know how I would do this on a Macbook?
Thanks
rob1969
Grafter
Question #53274870 sent a request yesterday, for my routers setting to be changed remotely ,still not been done, I am in the middle of a nightmare ,finding it impossible to stay connected to games in FIFA 12, Plusnet seem to have no interest in helping, strange that my neighbours have no trouble with FIFA on Talk Talk,and they pay £7 a month less for their service, I just want to be taken seriously and for someone too help but it seems the only way to go is to leave, something I don't want to do as been with Plusnet over 10 years, but now they have adverts on TV, loads of customers, and begging to get more they have no interest in existing customers
peterfkane
Not applicable
please help i log in and type in my user name admin and password on telnet it takes me to something looking like a space ship saying plusnet copyright 1999-2009 and can not paste anything
peterfkane
Not applicable
sorry didnt knnow u had to right click and then do paste. i pasted from the beggining of the command to 'save all' turned off my rooter and on again did the same for ps3 but my NAT is still strict, please help JOJO or MATT
peterfkane
Not applicable
sorry works now! thank u can now play with my 7 friends on MW3 i luv y guys, ur the best plusnet said they can do nothing and took my 24 hours to find this, i luv u guys and thanx for everything
shellyv66
Not applicable
Hi Matt/Joanne
This is my ticket number 53889869. We have suddenly started getting strict NAT error msg on our Xbox 360 a week ago which affect Halo Reach and MW3. Please can you assist and amend settings on our router.
Thanks
denysemarst1
Can you help please, we have recently changed provider to plusnet and my son is getting the message on his x box to change nat settings (currently on strict) I have tried following your instructions above but cannot locate the telnet feature, I can get on windows components but can't see anything to do with telnet?
xXAmightzXx
Does this work for the Technicolor/Thomson TG582n
combemarshal
Not applicable
I cant find where to paste the command lines in, when I log into the router it comes up with the router main page.
I cant type the ip address into the run box as windows cant find it, but it works if I type it into an address bar.
I am on windows 8
spraxyt
Resting Legend
You need to use telnet in a separate Command Prompt window for entering those commands. The first part of the article explains how to enable telnet (if necessary) and how to run it on Windows 7. Hopefully Windows 8 is similar enough to Windows 7 in this respect.
gromit
Not applicable
Hi Joanne/Matt,
please help. I purchased BF3 for the PS3 on the day the game was released. I have not been able to play this game online due to the fact my nat type is strict. I searched online for months, trying to get help with sorting out this problem, with no success. Eventually I gave up hope of ever being able to play the game.
On 13th July,I thought I would browse through the Plusnet site. (My first time browsing the Plusnet site) Quite by chance I came across this thread.
Can you please remotely setup my Thomson router for game mode settings, ticket number 57623727.
I hope it is not to late to get help, as I would like to play BF3 before BF4 is released.
Your help will be gratefully appreciated.
Chris
Legend
Hi gromit,
Your ticket should now be replied to, you'll need to plug your 585v8 back in for the changes to come through.
gromit
Not applicable
Many thanks.
Ellio
Not applicable
I'm on a MAC. Can I use the Telnet app?
Done all the stuff stated at port forward.com and still NAT type is strict Sad
johno79
Not applicable
Hi, I have just been directed to this forum, like others I cannot change the NAT from strict to moderate,I raised a ticket asking for help in changing the settings ( ticket number 58112696 )From reading the posts it seems that you can change the settings remotely.I would be grateful if you would change mine as my son is driving me nuts about not able to play MW3 with his friends.thanks
chrispurvey1
Not applicable
@ johno79
That's been done for you, hopefully you'll get some peace and quiet now Smiley
If your unsure with anything then just let me know.
bobpullen1
Not applicable
@Ellio, you can use 'Terminal' to run the Telnet commands on a MAC. Normally found under Applications > Utilities/Other
johno79
Not applicable
@chrispurvey
Fantastic, my son has just checked the NAT on the PS3 and it is now level 2, I just hope it remains as having read some earlier comments it seems to revert after a day or so, but here's hoping. Thanks for your assistance.