cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency issues whilst Gaming (Path Of Exile)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Latency issues whilst Gaming (Path Of Exile)

Hey. I may be wrong and I’m sure @Kelly will correct me if I am, but it looks like the problem may be the router itself based on you’re seeing packet loss at the first hop. Assuming you’re having the same issues across ethernet and WiFi, or can try a different network cable?
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rimvydas
Grafter

Hi, @Gandalf

I can see where you're coming from, I've tested it with a different Ethernet cable on my main computer as well my laptop and my phone with cable/WiFi. All results were the same, showing around 40-50% packet loss on the first hop as well as extremely high latency spikes on the 7th and 8th hop. I also tried it a different DSL cable which also had no impact. 

If there is a possibility that it is my router it's a little weird because I had my original one replaced at the same time I was having my previous problems back in June/July, which isn't that long ago. I even replaced all the cabling with the one that came with the new router.

Oh i forgot to ask. It is normal for the latency spikes to be that high and frequent for 7th and 8th hops? Additionally, the jitter for them seems way higher than the rest

Rimvydas
Grafter

Hi, @Gandalf

I'm currently at work and on a short break. I've done some searching and I came across this. I managed to download pingplotter at work and tested it on their network which showed the exact same results, major packet loss on the first hop. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Rimvydas

Sorry for the delayed response and thanks for linking that article.

I know certain hops will reject ICMP requests, but I didn't think to expect it at router level though it makes sense.

I've emailed our suppliers quality assurance team looping in their line manager asking if they'd entertain a move again to another VLAN in the hope it'll resolve the issue like last time.

Will let you know when I hear back.

In the meantime, could you setup a BQM again for us? You may need to put a device into the DMZ in order for it to work.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rimvydas
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf

I've been trying to create a BQM for the last hour and i can't seem to do it. Not sure why it's not doing it but I've tried with dmz and without. Both showing 100% packet loss.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Rimvydas can you attach those pictures to the forums?  We can't see them on that sharing site.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Rimvydas
Grafter

Yeah absolutely, here. I had to remake it because i wanted to try it under a different connection type and that required me to delete my old test.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I think Kelly was referring to the pictures here. File sharing sites are blocked internally. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rimvydas
Grafter

Oh i see, also I've factory reset my router as well as restart my computer and it seems to display things now.

BQM (Updated: 11:19pm)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey Rimvydas,
I received word from our suppliers this morning advising that they’ve arranged to move you to a different VLAN, like we did last time. Unsure whether they’ve found something not quite right with the one you’re on, or if they’re just trying it to confirm or rule out the issue.
I’d expect you to be moved over by tomorrow, let us know how things look in the evening.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rimvydas
Grafter

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Can you attach images here please.  We can't see them, if you upload them to places like that.  Makes  it quite hard!

You can just link to the BQM monitor graphs.  They have static images you can generate and use for this.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey Rimvydas,

How were things last night/are today? Assuming you've had a chance to play. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rimvydas
Grafter

Hey,

Sorry for the late response I was quite busy yesterday and today. I've just played for a couple of hours and I can say it is so much better. I'm no longer getting latency spikes higher than 40-50 which is allows me to play on a different networking mode in Path of Exile without having my character having to freeze and then speed up all the time. Once again, you've done so much for me - Thank you.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey. No worries, and I'm glad to hear that another move did trick again. Fingers crossed this VLAN doesn't break! If you have any further issues down the line, please feel free to let me know.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet