Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Broadband login and Firefox Browser

FIXED
phit03
Hooked

Plusnet Broadband login and Firefox Browser

Just thought I'd add this as a warning to other users.

I tried to login to my account  to Plusnet Broadband today to look at a bill.

I save my userid and password in a password manager as I have a different password for every website I have to login to.

My login wasn't recognised by the Plusnet server and it kept saying "invalid password or userid".

I should have stopped there and tried a different browser as I knew that I hadn't changed the userid and password since my last login and it's securely stored in my password manager.

However, in a moment of aberration I changed my password. I was able to do this successfully using Firefox but on trying to login again it still said invalid userid or password. On top of that, because I use my own router I lost my internet connection as the same password is used to logon the router to the internet connection.

Luckily I was still able to logon to my router locally, change the password in it's settings and connect to the internet again.

I phoned up the support line and after about 30 minutes got through to speak to [CSA Removed]who was very knowlegeable and helpful. He suggested waiting a while as "it can take some time for a changed password to be recognised my the Plusnet system. I thanked him and and off.

I stopped to think about the problem and thought that the last time I logged in I had probably used the Google or Edge browser so I tried again using the Google browser and Hey Presto I was logged in.

It looks as if Firefox and the Plusnet website have a problem and the Plusnet system probably has a catchall that says if the return code is not equal to zero, output the invalid userid or password message irrespective of what caused the error.

Moral is if you can't login and you don't think your userid or password has changed, try a different browser.

p.s. I'm not sure about the bit about the password taking time to propogate when it has been changed. I can't remember another site where I haven't been able to use a new password directly after I've changed it.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.
66 REPLIES 66
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Plusnet Broadband login and Firefox Browser

@phit03 

I don't know how you have Firefox set up but I use it and have never had the problem that you are reporting.

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Technical Help

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@Baldrick1 Me neither, on any of my three systems - Linux, Apple (phone and tablet) and Windows.

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I haven't had this problem before with Firefox but I did yesterday.

Today I tried using Edge and straight in 👍

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jab1
Legend

Strange - the login option on both my apple devices is greyed out, although the username and password are pre-filled and correct.

Haven't had chance to check the Windows machine - not started it because it is a slow machine to start and can't be bothered today, but I will check sometime tomorrow when I need it for a program I haven't got an Ubuntu equivalent for.

EDIT: Just re-entered my username and password on the Apple devices, and it now works.

John
Mav
Fixes: 515

Same issue with FF here but no issue with Chrome!

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

I don't store my passwords in Firefox but after every FF update I get an email from my ISP saying I've logged in from a new browser when I log into my account with them, and to let them know if it wasn't me.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Same issue here.

I can log in successfully using Chrome on a Windows 11 desktop (v106.0.5249.91).

Firefox on the same machine tells me my username/password is incorrect (v105.0.1).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jab1
Legend

If we are talking about logging into 'My Account', I have no issues with Firefox (Canonical v105.0 - Ubuntu is always a bit behind Windows).

John
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Interesting. Also works fine for me using Firefox 102.0.1 on Ubuntu.

On the Windows machine, starting Firefox in Safe Mode doesn't help, so can't be anything to do with extensions etc.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

To add my threepenneth..

Windows 10 21H1 Build 19043.2006

Login fails on Firefox 105.0.1 (64-bit)

Works fine on Edge Version 105.0.1343.53 (Official build) (64-bit)

Works fine on Android Chrome 105.0.5195.136

Havent got my Linux box running at the moment but will try Firefox later...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Tech Help to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've raised this internally for somebody to take a closer look (ref: IMT-8107).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

wgtwalker

I too have this problem - logging in via Firefox fails with "password invalid" message (even in "Troubleshooting" mode), yet I CAN login via Microsoft Edge. At the very least, the "password invalid" message is misleading!

I went round the houses of updating my password before eventually realising that the problem lies with the Firefox/Plusnet combination Sad

jab1
Legend

@MisterW Do you happen to know what changes were made in the FF105.0.1 update? Still on 105.0 on Linux, and Apple.

John