cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse DNS adjustment

dhardyuk

Reverse DNS adjustment

I'm setting up my home lab for about the 30th time and need the rdns for mx.mouserage.com updated to match the FQDN.

I made some updates to DNS today, most of it has 5 min TTLs and those updates have generally propagated fairly quickly, some judicious refreshing of https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#A/mx.mouserage.com shows that only a few caches return a stale nxdomain and those will sort themselves out over the next couple of days.

Happy to request/confirm via a more formal channel if required.

Thanks

David

4 REPLIES 4
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,606

Re: Reverse DNS adjustment

Hi David,

Just to confirm, are you wanting the rDNS updated so that your static IP points to mx.mouserage.com? If so then from what I can see doing an nslookup of that domain, your IP doesn't show so you'll need to set the forward A record first. 

Let me know if I've misunderstood though? Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dhardyuk

Hi,

There seems to have been a delay in propagation or a general hiccup with DNS somewhere because resolution was working for me via the PDNS we have at work, but not via the 1.1.1.1 / 8.8.8.8 / 9.9.9.9 popular alternatives.

I checked again this afternoon and everything has straightened itself out so it should be good to go if you want to retry pinging from your end.

Both Google (https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#A/mx.mouserage.com) and the PDNS resolve to 212.159.96.229

Default Server: redacted.gov.uk
Address: 10.xxx.xxx.2

> mx.mouserage.com
Server: redacted.gov.uk
Address: 10.xxx.xxx.2

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: mx.mouserage.com
Address: 212.159.96.229

There should also be rDNS set for a couple of hardy.it hosts which I need to keep as is.

The other rDNS entries on my subnet came with it (my service move from Kent to Devon went awry, my original /29 subnet was lost and the replacement /29 came with leftovers from whoever had it before me. Looks like it was a customer of yours in Worcester).

Thanks

David

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi David,

I've had another look and from what I can see 212.159.96.229 isn't your static IP. 

If you want your static IP pointing to mx.mouserage.com then you'll need to set the A record to point mx.mouserage.com to the IP first. Do you know what the static IP is? I'm happy to email you to confirm it if it helps?

Scrap that. You have an 8 IP block. Sorry, I was looking at the first IP in the block. I'm raising the task now...

I've raised the task. rDNS should be set for you within 3 to 5 working days. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey David, the rDNS should be set now.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd need help with 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet