Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email settings for iphone

Andrew_B
Grafter

Re: email settings for iphone

Glad to hear you fixed it!
Thinking about it... most email clients do that - it seems so obvious now Smiley
greenofashbourn
Grafter

Hi everyone,
It seems to make sense to me to post another iPhone email query on the end of this same discussion! If the mods disagree, let me know and I'll post it separately.
Anyway, have been setting up email on my iPhone. I have 3 mailboxes:
username
username+jane
username+joe.bloggs
I have got username and username+jane set up and working fine using IMAP, but when I try to set up username+joe.bloggs it says (after the long pause to try to verify IMAP) that the username or password are incorrect on relay.plus.net.
I have checked the details umpteen times and also tried setting up from scratch a few times, but always get the same error message - anyone got any good ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Stuart
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have a nasty feeling that something doesn't like the dot in joe.blogs
greenofashbourn
Grafter

That would be annoying!
I'm assuming this would be an iPhone issue - as I'm already using relay.plus.net to send from my PC using this username.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, I've set up accounts on an iphone and didn't think they had issues with the dot in the username, it seems crazy if it'll accept plus signs. I've been able to set up a googlemail account with a dot in the username and had no issues, so not sure if it's objecting to that or if there's a limit to the number of characters you can have in a username... is the account set up to access over POP3 or IMAP, or have you tried both with the same issues?
greenofashbourn
Grafter

Yes, it does seem a bit odd doesn't it!
I've only tried it on imap so far, partly because I don't want to start downloading emails to iPhone and then not getting them on PC. The username that's causing problems is a long one (by the time you add in the mailbox details it's 29 characters)
I may set up a new mailbox of same length without the fullstop and also a shorter one with a fullstop to see if I can identify what the problem is. Will also try a POP3 account as well. I really ought to do some work though, and come back to playing with personal email settings tonight!  Wink
Cheers,
Stuart
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries at all, and understood - please let us know how you get on and if there's anything else we can do.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: greenofashbourne
Will also try a POP3 account as well.

Should be OK if you use the "leave messages on server" option, which I think is iPhone default anyway.
Did on like that the other day with no problems (apart from my own errors).
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Matt
@Stuart
Ref problem with joe.blogs
1. This should not be a problem, I have such a name (format) email account working fine on my iPhone
2. I also had a problem configuring one of my accounts in respect of relay.plus.net - it did not "know" about the account in question - see ticket 30938450
I "took the problem away from the iPhone" and attempted telnet connects to the relay server and verified that I could not log on with the correct known credentials.  It took a lot of persistance with PN support until one kind person configured his iPhone to connect to my mail box and confirmed that the relay server credentials either did not exist or were wrong.  A "refresh" of my mail settings fixed the issue.
NB: The fact that the error is reported in relation to the relay server removes POP3 / IMAP configuration from the diagnosic consideration, as AFAIK that does not relate to the relay (SMTP) side of the connection.
Matt - if this proves to be Stuart's problem may I suggest that someone raises a "I do not believe it - known error" for this condition please?  Would be of great help to the CSC and help deliver better customer service.
Regards,
Kevin
There is nothing worse knowing that you are doing the right thing...
Whilst believing the technology is behaving itself, when in fact it is not!
  Huh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

but when I try to set up username+joe.bloggs it says (after the long pause to try to verify IMAP) that the username or password are incorrect on relay.plus.net.

For sending email (relay.plus.net) you need to use your default username and password, not an addidtional mailbox details. So for incoming mail you should use username+mailbox but for sending email it should just be username.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
greenofashbourn
Grafter

Thanks Kevin and Chris,
Chris, have just tried changing this and it works. Thanks!
The only thing is that this doesn't explain why it works fine when I set username+Jane as outgoing username but not for username+Joe.blogs
Anyway, all seems to be ok now.
Thanks,
Stuart 
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Does it *always* work for username+Jane or has it ever failed (but worked on re-try so you thought nothing of it)?
David
greenofashbourn
Grafter

I only set the username+jane up yesterday and so haven't had cause to send many emails BUT it accepted the IMAP settings (which username+joe.blogs refused to do) and I've sent about a dozen test emails yesterday and today with no problems.
Had to go out to a meeting tonight, so not had chance to play fully with other options - but will update you if anything different to report!
Cheers,
Stuart
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

All,
For the avoidance of all doubt, username+fred.blogs will work fine on both POP/IMAP and SMTP servers.  If it does not, then there is something amiss with the server configuration.  This is the exact set up I have working with IMAP and the SMTP server.  I am not using the default account on the SMTP server.
As I noted in the post above, there was an issue on this account with the SMTP server settings, which after persistence with the CSC was fixed by a "refresh" of my mail account settings.  I recommend that you raise a ticket and quote my ticket number as a point of reference.
Regards,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Note of warning...
I have just set up two new email accounts on the iPhone and for some strange reason it set the SMTP port to 587... and of course failed!!  This needs to be port 25!  You should check this after auto-set up if the send mail action fails.