cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security of email

garywood84
Rising Star

Security of email

Is it possible to use SSL on connections to imap.plus.net and relay.plus.net?  I'm configuring access to my email from my smartphone and would prefer the security that this would provide.
Thanks,
Gary
12 REPLIES 12
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Security of email

No. It is something that has been requested before but Plusnet do not offer such a connection.
garywood84
Rising Star

Hi Peter,
Thanks for replying so quickly.  It's not the answer I wanted, but at least I now know!
Is there a reason why PlusNet can't implement this extra security?  It seems to me that Plus's email would benefit from upgrading (another missing feature is autoreplies)...
Gary
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Plusnet promised to implement but then changed its mind.
Quote from: alanf
"we will implement the following:...
3) SSL encrypted connections for POP3 and IMAP email and FTP...
We will contact all our customers with firm timescales for the above improvements."
May 23rd, 2007
http://community.plus.net/blog/2007/05/23/webmail-incident-report-2/
garywood84
Rising Star

Plusnet - any update on this? It's more important than ever now more people are accessing their mail on portable devices rather than from their Plusnet connection.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've flagged this up internally and we'll chase it up for you, hopefully there'll be some more information soon.
garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks, Matt, that's great.
I don't want to push my luck, but since it's Christmas... any chance of out of office replies for email as well?! I recommend your service and am often asked by business customers how they can set up autoreplies.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll ask regarding that but it's not something that's ever been brought up before so is probably less likely than SSL I'm afraid.
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: Matt
I've flagged this up internally and we'll chase it up for you, hopefully there'll be some more information soon.

Any updates, Matt?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Nothing yet I'm afraid, it's not been added to the roadmap yet but the business is aware that it's something customers want.
garywood84
Rising Star

Hi Matt,
Sorry to come back on this again, but I was just wondering if this has been discussed further yet, please?
Gary
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I'm afraid there's still no more information, it's not moved on and as things stand isn't likely to in the near future. We'll be flagging this thread to the management team later this week though, hopefully something will come of that but I can't make any promises I'm afraid.
It's not off the cards, but likewise as things stand it'll be some time before there's any movement on it. Sorry about that. Of course we will let you know when the situation changes.
kmilburn
Grafter

Given another failure in the only method of accessing email securely over the internet (webmail),  any chance of having secure access to IMAP and SMTP?
How long are Plusnet going to force it's users to transmit their username and password (which gives access to their entire account, not just email) in the clear when accessing email directly?
I'd also assume that, given the increased use of smartphones and tablets,  the longer it takes to take the decision to make the systems secure, the greater the number of customers, and range of configurations that become affected.    i.e.  it'll be better to act sooner rather than later.