cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No email this morning 10 November

Hazel74
Rising Star

Re: No Email Access

@Uncle_Tupelo 5 hours?  The only thing I can see is from yesterday on the Services information thread.  Is there something somewhere else?

Flabula
Grafter

Re: globalnet server not authenticating from outlook since outage

I also have Globalnet email as my main personal email. I've managed to randomly connect and download a few messages since yesterday, but most of the time I get time-out messages on my email clients and login failure on webmail. It's the same on PC phone and tablet. At the moment I haven't been able to login for several hours.

I was perfectly happy to pay for my Globalnet email before it was taken over, so it's really annoying to read on other threads here that Plusnet may be ditching the email service. It's not my fault Plusnet don't want my money. 🙄

CWatters
Grafter

Re: Can't send emails

Thank you Kwak !

Using  212.159.8.107 worked for me using MS Outlook on a PC.

Strangely not had to do this same fix on an Android Tablet. That works fine but different email client.

Ian_at_pn
Hooked

This works for me on outlook and my phone, just an aside this thread has jumped from 90 or so messages to 500 plus in minutes, merged topics I'm guessing

smallblueplanet
Rising Star

Re: So what went wrong ?

What remedy?! I am still not able to download emails since this 'event' started.

I can get on webmail infrequently and try and read emails but it is like wading through treacle the pace things happen at!

hexagon
Hooked

Email

Hi,

I am now receiving some and perhaps all emails but I seem unable to send any.  There are also 4 sitting in my outlook outbox since Wednesday that I really need to be sent.

Can you help please

H

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: No email this morning 10 November

Moderators Note

Mass merging of topics on email outage.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pwberry
Dabbler

Plusnet would earn some much-needed respect if they gave some indication of why they had a problem,  why it took so long, and what steps they're taking to mitigate against it happening again.   

The fact that such a stance is considered "normal" for large companies is why they, and their directors, are held in so much contempt. 

Running a small business, if I let customers down (as is sometimes inevitable),  I make a point of explaining why, and people generally understad.  We're not big enough to p*** people off with impunity.   That's for the likes of Ryanair, and now, it seems, Plusnet. 

CWatters
Grafter

Re: Come on PN - 'fess up. What was the problem?

Email still not working correctly with MS Outlook.

Found a temporary work around here by "kwak"..

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/No-email-this-morning-10-November/td-p/1837610/page/40

that involves using 212.159.8.107 instead of smtp.plus.net

Seems to work for me.

solent2
Dabbler

Re: Not able to send emails

Sometimes lucky enough to get a spitfire overfly 😁

tried your method but still getting - 

Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because connecting to Outgoing server (SMTP) 212.159.8.07 failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your Outgoing server (SMTP) settings are correct and try again.

aargh! come on fussnet get this sorted!

solent2
Dabbler

Very true - in fact I managed that but quite a few companies still regard gmail as spam 

stuck
Rising Star

@JonoH

OK I can understand why Plusnet are unlikely to explain this mess but it would be nice if the few things Plusnet are saying were better worded.

Please just be honest.  Trying to put a positive spin on the mess by saying stuff like:

"Most customers should now be able to log in their Plusnet email, however they may experience a delay when sending and receiving emails..."

is laughable.

Yes, most people probably can log in to webmail but that's all they can do.  To describe the fact it is so slow it is unusable as "a delay" just makes Plusnet look stupid.  Similarly, suggesting the use of an email client as an alternative, i.e implying that will solve everything, is disingenuous.  Yes, using a client lets me receive emails as normal but apart from for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon I still can't send a reply.

stuck

PhilipHeyes
Dabbler

@solent2 note the SMTP server would be 212.159.8.107  & not 212.159.8.07 as in your recent post.

Hazel74
Rising Star

Why still no update on the Service Information?  Is there a problem in that I cannot see it for some reason?

stuck
Rising Star

@PhilipHeyes wrote:

Our work around has been to amend the email client's ( Outlook / Thunderbird et al ) SMTP server

from relay.plus.net / smtp.plus.net to 212.159.8.107

this bypasses the DNS lookup and avoids facing to the failed SMTP server

Be aware that :

1) 212.159.8.107 is working but has a certificate issue so ( 2 & 3 ) may apply ...

2) MS Outlook or similar may give a certificate warning - accept the certificate to proceed with sending emails.

3) If your credentials are not accepted, the encryption method may need to be changed to

from SSL to  : SSL + any certificate

or from TLS to :  TLS + any certificate

4) This fix works at the moment

MAGIC!  Using 212.159.8.107 in place of relay.plus.net has let me send emails!!  I use Outlook as my client but I've had no certificate warning.  Nor did I need to change the encryption method.

Thanks!

stuck