Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

Is this bug still on the Lithium list @jaread83 ?   The workaround is getting a bit tedious after a year of use.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

I received an email on Friday from Lithium support and this bug in the software has been fixed in an update. Only saw it this morning as it was sent late on Friday night. The update is only available on our staging site and the live community will be updated on the 31st of August.

Skeptical me went ahead and tested this on our staging site and I can confirm that the unread counter updates as soon as an unread topic is moved out of the board and put somewhere else. No more lingering unread counters anymore so this is good news for our active userbase.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Cannot arrive soon enough Jack. Lips_are_sealed  3 boards affected again today.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@jaread83,

... has this fix been applied to live yet please?

Regardless ... you are NOT going to like this bit of news ... this morning I noticed varying numbers of non-existent unread posts being reported on the two feedback boards.  Out of checking my own sanity "I'm sure it was 6 not 1 ... oh but it is 6..."  I went back to the device on which I last saw just 1 such item...

... only to find that when looking with my iPhone [Safari] I see just 1 unread item on this board ... but 6 if I look with my laptop [Edge]

Is such a known characteristic of the problem?

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As above, software update is expected on the 31st of August that will resolve this issue. Have checked on staging and it works.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry Jack - I missed the date in that post. Embarrassed

Is the same account seeing different unread counts a known characteristic of the problem?

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Not sure. All I know is that replicating the bug (moving an unread item between boards to show the phantom unread item in the original board) is no longer an issue on Staging. We will see once the update occurs.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!   Tomorrow  SmittenSmittenSmiley

I for one will be glad to see the back of this problem.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Me too @MauriceC Smiley I should receive an email from Lithium when the software has been updated.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

As of 07:55 this morning I am showing 1 unread item on the feedback board, however when I click the unread items link there are none.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@jaread83

... and the same on the business board! Huh Shocked Roll_eyes

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@jaread83

...a blatant NUDGE! Shocked

A month and  a bit on since the "fix" was implemented and a month since I reported that the problem still persists.

Is this back on Lithium's radar please?

Back at the time of the "fix" being implemented, I cleared down all of my rouge non-existent unread items.  As above (I've not sought to clear them) I have non-existent unread items on the Business and Community feedback boards.

In the grand scheme of things, this is not a big issue ... but if the "fix" did not fix the issue, then there's more thought required - both to the engineering process and the verification testing.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have already put this back on Lithiums radar as I discovered over 300 unread items on boards that don't show up in my unread feed.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Jack,

Sorry if I missed visibility of this being returned to Lithium... Cool_smiley

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I hadn't reported back on passing it back to Lithium. I have provided all the evidence and it has been taken to the developers to look at as frontline support is not able to see why this would happen. I have a feeling that it is linked to the moving of posts to other boards though.