@jaread83

I was planning on leaving them there anyway to see when a fix works. Smiley

I have the time to waste Wink

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Inconsistency in Forum View post count -v- Unread Posts

I'm currently not seeing any problems - but I did "Mark all posts in Community read" two days ago.

Is there a possibility that the "Fix" has sorted the Root Cause of the problem occurring, but does not retrospectively tidy up those extant errors?

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Thanks all. I will be keeping an eye on things but let me know if you spot this bug again.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Some more developments on this.

The fix that Lithium has applied in the maintenance window will fix this issue but is a temporary fix. I can ask for the database to have the fix applied when this becomes a problem again. The issue has been identified though and it seems to stem from moving posts from one board to another.

I have been assured that this has been passed to the software developers higher up to investigate further and issue a proper patch that would go out with a software upgrade applied to the core. I currently do not have an ETA on this but rest assured that it is being looked into by the right people and hopefully soon.. we will not longer have this issue.

In the meantime, please keep me informed if you see this bug again. All I can do now is keep reporting it to be fixed and ask users to clear all unread items in the community (or you could do this on a per board/category basis) to clear that pesky unread item. I'd personally just go to the unread page for that board and clear the items on that board specifically to ensure that no other areas are cleared.

Thanks for your continued patience on this matter. I will keep you all informed as and when I have received any updates.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@SpendLessTime wrote:

I may have found a clue.

I just looked at the forum page https://community.plus.net/t5/Forum/ct-p/Forum, which showed "Introductions" as having 2 unread posts. However when going in there, there were none.

This was to be expected as they had been no unread topics shown at https://community.plus.net/t5/forums/unreadpostspage/tab/thread both before and after looking at the forum list pages.

But the latest 2 topics in that forum were threads that Mav and dvorak had moved to another forum, just leaving a locked message behind pointing to the new location. 

The threads were

https://community.plus.net/t5/Introductions/Upload-speeds-down-from-16Mb-to-1-6-Only-the-last-2-Week...

https://community.plus.net/t5/Introductions/Hows-the-reliability-on-this-network-for-fibre/m-p/13399...

Could this be behind the inconsistent unread counts ?

That post was back in June last year. So 11 months to be proved right. Great product support from Lithium.

And today it is still broke for me, only one forum (Broadband) showing 5 new.

P.S. Last night it did show zero across the boards so the fix did clear down the issue. This is all new.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@SpendLessTime wrote:

And today it is still broke for me, only one forum (Broadband) showing 5 new.

giphy

Okay... I think in the meantime, you will need to clear those items using the menu in the unread page for now. I will give it a day or two before I poke Lithium again. They said that software devs are looking into this to provide a patch to fix it for good as this is a bug in the core code of the platform. It would appear that this would happen everytime a post is moved between boards and that can happen multiple times a day Sad

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Yes I will go back to clearing down as and when they arise. Or I get fed up with seeing them. Smiley

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@jaread83 - it is still happening - see screen shot. If I go to General Chat, there is 'nothing to display'.

Unread.PNG

John
MauriceC
Resting Legend

That's interesting!  I wonder if the timing coincides with a certain thread being moved and the 'hidden'?  If it does then it could tie in with one of @jaread83 theories.  Perhaps a Mod could provide an input.?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

I dunno, @MauriceC - I had a similar situation last night, but as I was in 'catch-up' mode, having been away for 3 or 4 days, it didn't really register.

John
MauriceC
Resting Legend

It's the high post count of 10 that's intriguing - I've only ever seen  a 'stuck' count of 1 or 2.  Jack' theory is that it is side effect of moving / deleting posts hence my query about a thread that got moved about that time.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

When I was talking to a Lithium dev about this they did mention that its a bug caused by moving threads and posts so your suspicions are correct. As I have mentioned before, this has been passed to the software developers higher up to look into. I haven't had any updates yet but as soon as I hear anything beyond 'we are still looking into it' I will post here to let you all know on progress.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wrong thread. Sorry!

MauriceC
Resting Legend

It's still happening!!!  I now do a "Mark all posts in Community read"  most evenings to minimise the problem, so the two instances marked on the attachment occurred sometime this morning.  I've also noticed (on a few previous occasions)  that if I logout and then login again the stuck count appears / disappears, suggesting it is a server / load balancing inconsistency.  A DBA can 'fix' these individual issues but until the root cause is found...........................................? 

It's a very useful feature, but if it cannot be made reliable I'd rather not have it.

Mstuck count-May15.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

I use that approach all the time but I still get the inconsistencies appearing.