cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E100 Wireshark Trial - what's all this then?

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

E100 Wireshark Trial - what's all this then?

Hi all,
We're currently in the process of upgrading our traffic management platform (from E30's to E100's, for those interested).
This means we'll need to recreate a lot of the traffic signatures for the platform. This is where you (hopefully) come in.
We'd like some volunteers who are comfortable using wireshark and who ideally use a large number of different protocols - games especially. These volunteers will be moved over to the new platform ideally on Friday.
Basically you'll need to use the connection as you normally would and if you notice anything running slowly take a wireshark capture. We'll be getting you a link to raise a ticket to a dedicated pool with these capture files attached, so Dave can create the signatures needed - we'll let you know what that is when we've got some volunteers ready.
More information will of course follow but if you're interested please drop a post in this thread and we'll be in touch.
EDIT: It's important to state that you shouldn't really consider this trial if you need your connection working as fast as possible. Some rules we'll be able to turn around quite quickly but others may take a few days or even weeks depending on how complicated they are. If you use a VPN and it's essential for work then this is not recommended for you, though if it's a backup connection and you don't mind testing VPN software on it then please do consider it Smiley
If you don't mind that then please do volunteer as this will be an immense help.
45 REPLIES 45
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: E100 Wireshark Trial - what's all this then?

Does that include or exclude people who are on Pro? I suspect testers on Pro wouldn't be of any use to you.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, they can do - but yes, in order for it to be useful we'd need to take them off the pro profile (of course they won't pay for it while it's not being applied).
Cheers for the heads up, should have thought to mention that.
brueton
Grafter

What about those on the IPv6 trial?
PeteB
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

IPv6 triallists could go on the trial but would need to revert to their non-IPv6 usernames.
Picnic
Grafter

Just seen this, you don't seem to have many takers yet Sad
I can give it a go for you, main games are racing sims / fsx / some VOIP.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks very much Picnic, I'll have a word with Denis and Dave today and we'll sort you out a login for it (your own username and password will remain as normal). I'll update this shortly with a bit more information, hopefully we'll get a few more people willing to help with this Smiley
dsw
Grafter

Don't see why I shouldn't be able to give this a try for you. 🙂
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks very much dsw Smiley
Right, that more information.
The experience won't be as bad as I've made it sound. We've already got rules for most things, we're just asking for people to go on the trial and use their connections as they normally would so we can pick up the last few bits - games in particular, but also anything else that may have a lot of different protocols or that isn't perhaps quite so widely used.
We'll also make sure you get a trial login for this (username and password for the router) so if you do encounter any issues you can run the wireshark and then log back in with your regular account details and everything will work as it does currently.
Hope that persuades one or two more, thank you for reading Smiley
brueton
Grafter

I did not put my name forward because I do not play games but I am willing to give it a go. My sync is about 3300 so I may not notice any slowdown.
dsw
Grafter

Is this still going ahead?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi all,
Yes, it's definitely going ahead - the trial accounts are being created now, sorry for the lack of updates.
If it's an incentive to any others who've considered applying, bear in mind usage whilst on the trial will count towards a different account and not your own so for all intents and purposes trial usage is free.
I'm also in the process of negotiating some kind of thank you gesture for coming on the trial, likely to be in the form of free Pro (if that's viable) or a similar equivalent if that tempts anyone further?
We really need help on this one, everyone Smiley Please do give it some thought.
dsw, PeteB and picnic we'll be in touch with details of what's happening and how to help tomorrow, many thanks. Of course the above applies to you guys as well.
Thanks for reading, all.
houlton23
Grafter

Matt,
Must have missed this thread for some reason, but I'd be willing to give it a go if it helps PN out Smiley
80/20 trial line here syncing at the max so should be able to help.
If we don't find any problems do you want reports of what is working properly too?
Alex Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi houlton23, thanks very much, we'll be getting usernames sorted for you guys today (I hope we'll be in a position where you can connect on them too) Smiley
It'd be nice to know generally if things are working but most things have been captured so please don't feel you need to list everything that works - it's mostly games we're after really, and other sort of 'niche' protocols that aren't widely used. Some of our staff are on the trial so that's helped, but different people will use different things and that's kind of what we're banking on here to make sure everything is in place.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I only use one thing that might be an issue: Junos Pulse Secure Access Service (VPN), but as it's also from Juniper I'd be stunned if there was an issue. A day's use would be more than sufficient to prove it's OK if you'd like me to give it a try.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)