cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.79 down speed

ListerofSmeg
Grafter

Re: 0.79 down speed

I won't have access to do the speed tests until this evening.  Could CRT do them for us?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It's not speed tests, it's the the Stats, I'll ask someone.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi there
I've attached a snapshot of how the line is currently testing.
At the moment the line is banded between 1 to 2 mbps but it isn't even syncing at the maximum speed that the banding allows.
Tests aren't showing any issues with the phone line so the next step will probably be to send a broadband trained engineer.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for that Matthew, but note the recent phone fault that was repaired. I wonder if the line is in fact OK now and an SNR reset will do the job now I know it's banded?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Reset has been done and the line is up to 2.5 sync at the moment
The snr is low and there are some errors but now that the line's retraining we can see what happens and take it from there.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks Matthew,  I suspect things will be fine. That speed and "reported" SNRM is what we'd seen consistently before the phone fault.
Taking account of Adam's comment (reply #112) and your remark on the figure in the Status Check, it suddenly clicked that the TP-Link is most likely misreporting the SNRM. What you see on a Status check is what the modem/router reports.
There is another user on another thread that has the same model and when it was in use, with RouterStats running we could see it start at the 6dB Target SNRM and rapidly drop the reported value to around 3dB (no loss of sync or any other issues). It was quite happily holding the connection as was this one here, with supposed SNRMs down at 0.1-0.2 dB. This is not the first time I've seen this sort of occurrence,  thankfully it's not seen too often as it can be really confusing!
alliasjay
Grafter

Greetings.
Here is an update for you, as I'm not too sure what has happened, although it looks like my internet speed has been pushed too high because I'm disconnecting every 5 minutes, and it seems to have been doing that for about 2 days. I haven't even switched on the pc all that much as I've been working some crazy hours. Looks like my SnR is just messing up my connection. Hopefully I can send this before it crashes again.
If we can tone it down if that's possible to just 2 meg that should be fine, if not even maybe 1.9mb. I would be happy with that until they eventually get the new FTTC box powered up.

bt wholesale Best Effort Test:
Download Speed : 2.29 Mbps

Router

Downstream Upstream  

SNR Margin
:
0.1        6.6 db

Line Attenuation
:    
62.1      38.1  db

Data Rate
:
2631      552  kbps

Max Rate
:
3188     556  kbps

CRC
:
92 0
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry to hear the issue has returned.
It certainly has been bad over the last three days as your connection graph below shows.

The line is generating errors pretty much every second. We can ask our suppliers to put the banding on to reduce the speed which might help however it might just mask a bigger issues.
I'd like to get a broadband engineer out to check the line over if possible.
Can you let us know how you want to move ahead with this?
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
alliasjay
Grafter

I would be very grateful if someone could pop over and have a look. Fingers crossed they do find something wrong and fix the fault.
Just feels since my friends internet had been installed last year Feb I believe my net has been really bad. To the point I'm fed up of trying to get it fixed.
If you could send someone over that would be great. of course the next few weeks will no doubt be busy with the Christmas and new year holidays so I don't mind waiting another few weeks if it takes that long to be honest,
Many Thanks.

updated results, feels a bit more stable at the moment.
Downstream Upstream 

SNR Margin
:
3.7        5.2 db

Line Attenuation
:
60.4      38.2  db

Data Rate
:
2435      563  kbps

Max Rate
:
2860  548  kbps

CRC
:
11441 0

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2.17 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 2.4 Mbps
Anotherone
Champion

Which one of you has got a TG582n you aren't using?
ListerofSmeg
Grafter

It's not me, i'm using a TD-W8950ND
Anotherone
Champion

alliasjay is also using a (different model) TP-Link, IIRC without reading back. But I thought one of you had a spare TG582n, I might obviously have remembered wrongly.
alliasjay
Grafter

Yeah I am using a TP link and the one I received from PlusNet is somewhere in the loft... I might have to make another mission up there but since my mother has temporarily moved in... I struggle getting to anything in the loft anymore.
So far the internet has been somewhat stable. although the past few hours I had a few slight issues online via the Xbox, but looking at the router and speeds it seems like there shouldn't be a problem.
although the speeds have dropped again.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.64 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.8 Mbps-2 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1.59 Mbps

Downstream Upstream 

SNR Margin
:
3.8        6.3 db

Line Attenuation
:
62.1        38.1  db

Data Rate
:
1805        571  kbps

Max Rate
:
2620        604  kbps

CRC
:
1878    0
Anotherone
Champion

Have you run the Quiet Line Test recently? 17070 option 2. Did you do any reboots on Sat 20th evening?
You could try an evening resync, by powering off the modem/router for 10 minutes and then powering on again. A sync speed around just above 2272 might be more stable than the 24xx-26xx you can get from a daytime resync.
alliasjay
Grafter

The quite line test seems fine. Can't hear a thing.
I can't quite recall if I had rebooted it on the 20th or not.
I'll try an evening sync speed this evening and see if that helps.
I have also just connecte directly to my friends router on his own line and he is getting
download speed : 2.42mb.
Which is vastly higher than my unstable 1.6mb.
It's a little frustrating, I wouldn't mind if I was paying half the price for half the speed of someone who has a separate connection in the same household.