cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson WLG-1500a driver

PeterJKing
Hooked

Thomson WLG-1500a driver

I'm trying to connect a Windows 10 desktop computer, and it doesn't recognise the wireless adapter; I've tried to find a driver for the Thomson WLG-1500A, but I either get sites that my virus/malware sogtware won't let me access, or sites that insist on installing the drivers themselves.  i need to download the driver on my laptop, then cput a copy on the desktop, and instal it manually.  Any tips, please?

21 REPLIES 21
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Thomson WLG-1500a driver

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Tech Help

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

From what I can find, that Adapter is based on the SIS163U chipset and is quite old. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a 64 bit driver available for Windows 10!. I would suggest getting a replacement more recent Wireless Adapter

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Any chance of using an ethernet cable to connect the computer to the net? That way you could let W10 do the work of getting a driver. If you still have problems maybe a new adapter might be the way to go forwards. Plenty out there and they don't cost the earth. I ended up going that way a few years ago and got an internal card complete with external wired aerials. Haven't looked back since, 100% reliable.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
PeterJKing
Hooked

No, the router is downstairs, at the main 'phone point, and the computer is upstairs.  I'd assumed that Plusnet would update equipment that became obsolete, as they supplied the adapters in the first place, as part of my contract.  (Though the I.T. people at college were surprised that I'd not been supplied with a new router after more than ten years...)  I'll check with them, and see what they say (I'm not holding my breath -- but I'd have thought that, if they're supposed to be providing a Broadband service to me, they ought to be prepared to up-date the essential hardware that they supplied in order to make it work).

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Scrap my reply, I was thinking of routers not adaptors.

Thumb usb adaptors on ebay for £3, co won't break the bank.

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@PeterJKing wrote:  I'd assumed that Plusnet would update equipment that became obsolete, as they supplied the adapters in the first place, as part of my contract.

I'd be surprised if any company did that, where would it stop? And of course they are supplying a broadband connection i.e. via the ethernet. One reason they tend to not get too involved with WiFi problems i.e. if you want improved WiFi performance there is nothing to stop you buying a better router and connecting it (if it doesn't have a modem built in) via the ethernet port. 10 year old stuff is obsolete anyway. Time to upgrade!!! Smiley You'll get better performance all round.

For myself, I don't use the Plusnet router etc. It's kept so I can narrow down internet problems i.e. its a known good. You might find Plusnet will send you a new router for a small fee, one can only ask! Smiley

Of course, the easiest way of getting a new router is to change supplier (most charge a small fee). Not something I tend to do if the internet comes down the wires reliably and at a price I'm happy with.

Good luck.

Edit, if you were going over to fibre, a new router would probably be provided as part of the deal. I still wouldn't expect adapters though for a desktop.  @Marksfish I tried USB adapters on the desktop and found they sort of sucked performance wise. The internal card was a 1000 times better.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
PeterJKing
Hooked

Well, yes, but that's not really the point.  When you pay for a service, you expect to get it, and not be told that it won't cost you much to do it yourself...

I've just tried to use the on-line help chat, and found myself engaged with a poorly-programmed A.I. which ignored what I'd written, instead working through a list of prepared questions.  It then cut me off.  I'll try a real person (if I can get through to one within twenty minutes or so), but this is all making my rethink my decision to stick with Plusnet when I switch to fibre, now that it's available here.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

@PeterJKing wrote:

Well, yes, but that's not really the point.  When you pay for a service, you expect to get it, and not be told that it won't cost you much to do it yourself...

You are being provided a service, an internet service. Tha adaptors would have been supplied as a part of the set up deal or purchased by you at a reduced price. you own the equipment, it is your responsibility. When you buy a car on finance, do you expect the finance company to replace your vehicle with a newer updated version? Same with Sky up until recently when SkyQ came about. You buy a subscription, they give you a box. Box isn't replaced on a regular basis throughout your 10+ year subscription, if it breaks you have to repair it. Sorry, but I think you are expecting too much. 

PeterJKing
Hooked

As usual, appeals to metaphor don't help, as the choice of the metaphor simply reflects your conclusion.  This isn't like buying a car -- a car isn't a service.  If we lived in a system in which we paid for the ability to travel on roads, part of the deal being a vehicle, then I'd certainly expect an upgrade to the vehicle if the system changed so that my vehicle no longer allowed me to travel.

The adapters were certainly part of the deal, as without them I'd not have had the internet access for which I was paying; as they no longer provide access, I don't think that it's too much to ask for an upgrade.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

@PeterJKing wrote:

As usual, appeals to metaphor don't help, as the choice of the metaphor simply reflects your conclusion.  

I see you ignored the Sky example Wink

PeterJKing
Hooked

I don't know anything about Sky's broadband contracts -- but pointing out that another company behaves the same way isn't much of an argument for the claim that it's the right way to behave (especially when the example is Sky....).  If, though, they sold a television package that required a satellite dish, and the broadcast system changed so that the dish no longer worked, I'd certainly expect them to replace or up-grade the dish.

If I rented an office in a building, and was given a key to the main door and one for my office, I'd be a bit taken aback if the locks were changed, but I was told that it was up to me to get new keys -- I'd only paid for the use of the office, not the means to gain access to it.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

The obligation Plusnet and any ISP have is to provide you with a working internet connection/ phone line, which you have. This is where the responsibility for providing the service ends. However, ISP's will offer you a free router and sometimes other things like cashback or wireless adaptors in exchange for a contract or a renewed contract. This is where their obligation ends, except for contractual warranty claims, or unless the ISP specifies you have to use their equipment (i.e Virgin). As such, it is not the responsibility of the ISP to send out new equipment willy nilly, it is the customer's responsibility to ensure their equipment is compatible with the service being provided. However, if you contact Plusnet and ask if they can do anything, there may be something that can be offered in exchange for a new contract, but I doubt if there are currently any adaptor offers.

Going by your thinking, the office scenario doesn't work either as you will be renting the office and its facilities, unless stated in the contract you have to supply your own keys Wink Broadband provision is just that, internet provision.

I personally think you are being very irrational about the situation and as i have said before, are expecting too much. If you want a service that provides you with lifetime upgrades, you need to find one and pay for it, not use a budget provider and complain when your contract expires that when re- negotiating you didn't ask for new equipment. I feel that my black and white input will actually not be appreciated as it is not what the op wants to hear, so will make this may last post on this thread.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

Do I get this right or am I having a senior moment? About a decade ago Plusnet gave what I understand to be a wireless adapter away. Now @PeterJKing expects Plusnet to supply another free of charge because it's incompatible with Windows 10? Is this just a wind up or have I got it wrong?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

witherford
Rising Star

HI Peter,

I might be able to help you if you have not resolved the issue, can you plug in the non recognised wireless adapters.

• Then in the search menu on windows 10 type in Device Manager
  • open up device manager
  • in the list have a look for a device with an exclamation mark, usually it's yellow, you may find it under Universal Serial bus controllers
  • Once you have found the device right click it and click properties
  • Go to the details tab
  • On the drop down menu under property choose hardware ID's
  • Post a reply on here with exactly what it says or a screen shot if possible

I have attached an example of another device of my PC to give you an idea if you are on the right page