cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set up a guest network

mlbullen

Set up a guest network

I have a new Sagecom CS 50001 router from Plusnet. Can I set up a guest network? If so how?

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Set up a guest network

I don't recognise that model CS 50001 , AFAIK PlusNet have only supplied the Hub One and the 2704N from SagemCom

see here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

Which one do you have ?

TBH though I don't recall either of them being able to support guest networks

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 3

Hi Not sure, have asked around, why note post a question on the forum, you'll be surprised how many people will offer a possible solution!

mlbullen

Thanks for responding so quickly - its the 2704N.....

TonyMC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 3

Hi yes, I figured as much the 2704N, I have been asking around and we feel that it won't support a guest network but as I said previously, ask on the forum, it might be possible, just never heard it happen with that particular router.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As you've already asked on the forum (ie here!) there's no need to start a new thread about this.

The 2704 does not support guest networks, sorry about that.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mlbullen

Thanks Chris.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

@TonyMC wrote:

Hi Not sure, have asked around, why note post a question on the forum,

Erm... You did read post 1 right? - And what was being asked?! Do I be right if i said you worked in the call centre? - They tend to misunderstand things / give wrong advice..

@mlbullen If you have an old PC knocking around somewhere you could always find a PCI wifi card based on the ralink 2500 chipset and put it into access point mode. Then you just need to dis/enable the network card as and when you have guests. Alternatively there are usb APs out there but i've no experience of those so can't say too much.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Most "mainstream" wifi routers let you set up a single WiFi network.

Yes, it IS possible to re-flash the software with other software (eg DD-WRT) that might support multiple WiFi networks, but that is possibly rather over-complex , and un supported.

Whilst you could just by a second "WiFi Access Point" (or use a cheap wifi router as one) there is still the security issue that those users are "still on your network", and could potentially access your PCs etc.

I guess it depends on why you want that guest network, and what security you need.