Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton makes laptop crawl

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Norton makes laptop crawl

Paul & HPsauce & James_H
Here is a photo of my memory slot as of 5 minutes ago !
can`t see any "extra" slots there..... pins seem to go into other side of motherboard...
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

So what's the problem?
shutter
Community Veteran

from my previous post..... reply from crucial.....
you would have to use a professional to access the slot and unsolder the module.

Do you think it is a "plug in module"  then ?
I haven`t had a "real good look"  as a bit worried in case I break a pin that needs "micro soldering" to repair....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

What that in front of the label looks like a slot to me Crazy
HPsauce
Pro

Definitely.
I expect the first memory bank is soldered in and inaccessible and that's an expansion slot.
Just logon on to Crucial and run the memory scanner, it'll soon tell you!  Smiley
Not applicable

Quote from: shutter
Paul & HPsauce & James_H
Here is a photo of my memory slot as of 5 minutes ago !
can`t see any "extra" slots there..... pins seem to go into other side of motherboard...

Nope - thats a picture of an empty slot Wink
The contacts are hidden in the white bit of plastic, but basically you slot the memory in contacts first into the white bit, then when you push the memory flat, the two clips at either side of the image grip the memory module.
You'll notice that there is a slot in the contacts on the memory which corresponds with the protrusion visible on the white bit of plastic towards the right.
shutter
Community Veteran

Turning over laptop, to have a real good look.........
Well, I think it might just be a socket !...  Roll_eyes  from first looking at it, (I do wear varifocal glasses)    Cool  it looks like all those coppery connections are soldered to the pins going into the board, and having been given the info that the memory is soldered in, and needs a professional to change it.......  Embarrassed

By being prodded with a sharp stick by you "kind fellows"  Cheesy  and having found a decent sized magnifying glass, it do look like a slot.....  Smiley  so now I can upgrade from the miserable 256 that Dell gave me...  Undecided 
Thank you guys....  Grin  Grin  Grin
Edit whilst posting,  James_H  has crowned it all by giving an excellent description.... Thanks very much....
Not applicable

It'll be even clearer when the new memory stick arrives - then you'll be able to see what I was trying to describe I reckon. Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

Right then.... Problems solved ! !    Cheers guys.... definitely a brilliant bunch on here..... Wink
maranello
Pro

I can echo shutter's view, and add....
Quote from: HPsauce
(that's the voice of bitter experience speaking  Cool )

That's exactly why these forums are so helpful. In my experience, if I have a problem then it is most likely to be one that someone else has had before me. The advice is always appreciated.
I will aim to give some feedback on this, for future reference to anyone else out there with similar problems, particularly since reviewing other posts on this forum has helped me with other queries I have had over the past couple of months  since joining Plusnet.
PS just hit the preview button, preview post says 'fetching preview...' Didn't know what was happening but hit 'post' anyway. Seems my session timed out and I lost my post, but managed to get it back using browser back button and then doing a cut and paste job (tip for future reference)
My other car isn't a Ferrari
paulby
Grafter

@shutter
Just picked this thread up again (been at work!!) - as others have said it definitely looks like a memory slot.  Crucial's checker should tell you how much is installed and how much you can add.
@maranello
Hopefully you should notice a definite improvement with more memory!  Post back in here and let us know how it goes!
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Paul, and all the rest.... Much appreciated..... sometimes you can`t see the wood for the trees (my father`s favourite saying ! !)
Will go away now, and check up on who has the cheapest 512 mb memory and let you know how it "improves" the already good performance.... ( Only doing this cos a few notable people have said XP needs 256mb and that`s all I got....) so should see some improvement I hope !
paulby
Grafter

@shutter
Make sue that the memory you're buying is compatible - PCs can be fussy about the memory you add (right down to the make of components on the module!).  I'd pay the extra couple of quid and get it direct from Crucial as they guarantee it'll work with your machine and will refund you if it doesn't.
I've seen more than a few people buy memory that just won't work with their PC although on the surface it has the correct parameters .  Better safe than sorry! (I've never bought memory from Crucial that hasn't worked and I've upgraded a fair few computers for friends and family - including fixing some for people who bought unbranded memory from the local PC shop because it was "cheap")
HPsauce
Pro

100% agree with everything Paul03 says there. And Crucial is quite competitive on price.
I bought 256MB of laptop memory from them only last week for £16.44 delivered for EXACTLY the same symptoms being described here.  Wink
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi guys, Thanks for the warning ! !... Just been googling around to find prices, and suppliers....I was thinking 512 would be a good size for me, as not into gaming, more for my photographs editing etc
just a sample of prices....
Crucial  18.79
Orca      23.38
Offtek    21.03
Dell        23.80
Have also seen a guy on ebay who seems to have sold quite a number of these for £11.00 inc 1st class postage.... will refund for Ded on arrival, says won`t if incompatible..... have emailed him to confirm that it would be compatible, therefore onus would be on him....
Will wait and see before buying.....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-X-512MB-PC2700-DDR-333mhz-SODIMM-Laptop-RAM_W0QQitemZ160227664985QQihZ006QQc...
That`s the page url... ! ! (longer than the memory stick! !)
going to look at chit chat for a bit of fun whilst waiting !  Wink Smiley