Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Norton makes laptop crawl

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Norton makes laptop crawl

@shutter
Try looking at http://www.laptopshop.co.uk  my new laptop had a peculier setup, they were the only one that checked the make, model etc and got a correct match, plus the price was correct, also got it the next working day
My 512 slug - Kingston cost a grand total of £31.16
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

@shutter just stop messing about and buy the 512MB from Crucial  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

My machine was an Elite (ECS) with a 266 mHz SO-DIMM 200 pin DDR what does Crucial think of that?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Why don`t you ask them?  Doh ! !  Cheesy Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

well they say I can use a 1G but I only have one slot and the people who made the machine say 512 max!
shutter
Community Veteran

I`m a poor pensioner....  Cry  and like messing around..... it helps to pass the time.....  Wink  but think I`ll go for it in the end.....  Smiley
just checked out Pierre` suggestion....  Shocked  No way..... What? £36.11  and probably plus postage too ! !
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Well at least I did give you the choice
paulby
Grafter

@pierre_pierre

You posted while I was typing!
You'd need to take the 512K out and repalce it with a 1GB module if it was supported.  
I could almost guarantee you that what Crucial says will be correct (if it isn't they'll refund you). However some pages have a "not to exceed manufacturer supported memory" which means that, while the motherboard would support 1GB, the manufacturer's particular configuration won't allow it.
I can honestly say that I've never had a problem with Crucial and would happily recommend them to anyone.
Edit: corrected main paragraph.
shutter
Community Veteran

Paul, with ref to removing the original memory..... having gone back to crucial to check out the correct item, and doing the search , I re-read the wording, a bit more carefully..... I think the bit about getting a professional to remove the original was so that a larger memory could be put in the slot.... not that you had to remove the original to do any update of memory....    It was a bit vague....the way it was written..... Unfortunately, they did not give the "full spec" for the memory, as I went to those other sites I mentioned, and they showed the Dell Inspiron needed 200 pin PC2700 DDR SO-DIMM  whereas the crucial site only said 512 mb was ok.... (they did not say there was also a 184 pin version) which had I not checked the other sites, I could have gone to (e.g.) pc world and bought the wrong version....
Anyway, I`m going to sleep on it.... (the buying side of this) and see how I feel in the morning....
Thanks for your help.... much appreciated..
(and to think I have "hogged" this post..... Ooops.... my apologies if needed)  Embarrassed Embarrassed
paulby
Grafter

@shutter
Crucial wouldn't have shown you a 184 pin version as is wouldn't be compatible with your PC!  (How could they guarantee what they showed you would work otherwise!)
512MB is probably the max your computer will accept as an upgrade but without seeing what the site said I can't tell.
Could you post a link to the scanner results page?
shutter
Community Veteran

Here is the scan result from crucial
http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.aspx?id=D925E36A31D926C3
and here is the memory advice from the search of Dell Inspiron 2200
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Inspiron%202200
As you will see, it says there are no slots available. (!)
Maximum Memory:  1280MB
USB Support:  2.x Compliant
Standard Memory:  256 or 512MB (256MB non-removable)
Slots:  1 (1 bank of 1)
All memory slot(s) are filled, some of the existing memory must be removed in order to upgrade.
unquote

that is why I was confused by the reply to my email.... and the subsequent posts on the forum....

HPsauce
Pro

Oh dear, the Crucial scanner looks like it's got it wrong for once!  Crazy
That photo was an empty slot, so just buy the 512.
If it doesn't fit or work send it back, you've nothing to lose.
shutter
Community Veteran

I could put in the 1gb one, as that would take it to the max, but I don`t think I would see much improvement in my "general use" ..... and the 512 + the 256 will bring it up to scratch I think....
Oh well, thanks again.... off to bed after a long hard day on the forum....
If I forget to update on this, send me a PM in a couple of days, to remind me.....!
HPsauce
Pro

256 would almost certainly be more than adequate, but for a couple of quid more....
paulby
Grafter

@shutter
The Crucial scanner seems to get a bit confused when there's memory soldered to the board.  It correctly reports that you've one slot available but thinks the memeory already fitted is in it.  Once you upgrade the "Available Memory Slots" will show as -1 and you'll have a picture showing two filled memory slots!  (See the results for my Viao laptop after upgrade - it has one soldered 512MB module and a 1GB upgrade - and before.)