My overnight use is very high

FIXED
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: My overnight use is very high

@Fenster 

@Fenster wrote:

Hi Alex, when I went to login to my modem it showed "this connection is not secure". I've attached a screencapture. I didn't go any further till posting this message here.

I have had this message, too...  Also, I get a similar splash message when trying to access my on line bank... The message appears when using either FIREFOX or CYBERFOX  ( both the latest uptodatest versions )..

However..  If I use INTERNET EXPLORER , on the same connection ( wifi to the router TG582n 2 feet from the laptop) .then I do not get this message and can use the banking as normal.

This "security message" has been happeniing since just before Christmas.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fenster that message your are seeing is generated by the browser, simply because you are not using the HTTPS protocol. If you can, I don't know about this model of router) you can change the router's config to only use HTTPS at which point this issue will go away.

Having said that you then might see a warning saying that the certificate has issues, this is due to the fact that it uses a self-signed certificate. You can add an exception to your browser to allow the use of this certificate (to remove this warning), as it (the certificate) serves no other purpose other than securing your connection in to your router's User Interface.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

This is a common message when logging in to a router. I suspect that it's because the link is not encrypted and the browser recognises that there ia a password involved but does not identify that it is an internal not external IP address. Anyway it can be safely ignored.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Fenster
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks.
You know if SSID or 'password is the one I need to change for wireless connection?

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1 @Anonymous  So... why does Internet explorer allow the connection as safe... and not FIrefox or Cyberfox on latest up to datests versions...

when prior to these latest versions, no such warning messages appeared   either on the router or on the banking site..?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Baldrick1

My guess would be that IE is long in the tooth and never gave any warnings. The later browsers probably do it in an attempt to improve warnings to people logging into unsecured sites such as clones to banking sites. I assume that these browsers don't discriminate between sites inside or outside of your firewall.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@Fenster wrote:

Thanks.
You know if SSID or 'password is the one I need to change for wireless connection?

You selext the SSID that matches your router. You will then be asked to input the password.

Moderator and Customer

Fenster
Rising Star

@Anonymous

My browser is Firefox. When I go to login to my modem the padlock in the address bar has a strike through it, My operating system is Ubuntu Linux. Is it ok to login to modem when not secure is indicated?

Baldrick1

OK so you don't believe me. Over to you @Anonymous.

Moderator and Customer

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fenster, yes, on the assumption that the URL is your router's IP, which is should be. It's quite safe as the connection is LAN side and nothing goes via the Internet. As the article above says this is FF trying to be helpful, and why not, and it should be the de facto approach for all browsers.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Fenster sorry ... didn`t mean to hi-jack your thread about your overnight usage....was trying to show that it not only happens to you.!

@Anonymous & @Baldrick1  will send you a PM... later on... as have to go out now...

Fenster
Rising Star

I am giving you wrong impression, I am worried I lock myself out of connecting to modem and getting online. Also responding to multiple replies - Thanks - to my questions. Confused. Sorry.

Fenster
Rising Star

Ok, no problem, thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fenster - To clarify. As noted above by both @Baldrick1 and myself, you are safe to continue using HTTP to access your router, as you are using FireFox you may continue to see the 'warning' message unless you can configure your router to use HTTPS. Even if you do that you won't lock yourself out, you'd just need to use https://192.168.1.254 instead. Remember this change ONLY affects the way you access your router nothing more, nothing less.

Hope that helps.