rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: ISP PlusNet Launch Faster Hub Zero 2704n Broadband Router

@Graham21 ,,,,, and what did you see when you looked at it ?Huh
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I suspect that is surprise we will have to wait for Undecided
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

I wonder if we have to wait as long as some do waiting for a answer in ASK a support  question  DOOOH
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
PowerLee
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'm already feeling sorry for the poor people at Plusnet that will get moaned at by forum users as they picked router A as the high spec optional purchase over router B.
Even if you had a shortlist of potential devices & then a vote to decide the winner you will still upset some people on here.
Best to stick to the standard router offering for everyone & if someone wants a high spec one let them make there own decision / purchase.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

When people contact the call centre they will be told "what do you expect from a **** router"?
This will cause much customer satisfaction.
Plusnet will need to take on extra staff to deal with router problems.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

picbits
Rising Star

But is it a rubbish router ?
It could be the most simple but incredibly reliable router out there - yes, not much good for the tinkerers or advanced users but if it is stable, reliable, has a good range and everything is compatible with it then what more does your average customer want ?
AndyH
Grafter

I have a little bit of an explanation why I think Plusnet haven't launched a VDSL modem/router yet...
As an ISP, any Plusnet supplied modem/router for FTTC as part of a self-install would have to conform to the various standards set out in Annex A of SIN 498 - http://www.sinet.bt.com/sinet/SINs/pdf/498v6p0_C.pdf This can either be done through using the Openreach testing facility, or a third party facility.
From what I've been told, the TG589v3 hasn't actually passed all the tests yet. Only some Cisco router/modems have passed all the tests. There are a number of other router/modems aimed at consumers in testing at the moment.
I would ask Graham to comment, but I think it's about as likely he will comment as Plusnet supplying a Cisco modem/router Smiley
chenks76
All Star

does that mean all the other routers on the market with combined VDSL/ADSL modems don't conform to the various standards?
wouldn't a manufacturer have to already conform before releasing a product to the market?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

[Wandering a little OT, sorry]
Many products were on the market before this testing started!
The testing was originally for CP provided modem/routers.
I'm sure I read, somewhere, that AVM had passed testing on certain Fritz!Box models.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: chenks76
does that mean all the other routers on the market with combined VDSL/ADSL modems don't conform to the various standards?

(Apologies...also straying OT a bit here).
I think most would fail the testing. The standards are clearly very stringent and aspects are specifically designed for the Openreach network.
It obviously doesn't mean they wouldn't work, but the specific requirements are there to ensure the best possible end user performance/experience and also that no damage is caused to the Openreach network. There have been a lot of people using their own modem/routers for FTTC (Asus/Draytek come to mind) which has caused DLM to intervene severely.
The testing is open to manufacturers because smaller ISPs might not be able to supply their own developed or branded modem/router solutions for self-install.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: AndyH
The testing is open to manufacturers because smaller ISPs might not be able to supply their own developed or branded modem/router solutions for self-install.

Which would be a good thing.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

chenks76
All Star

which raises the question, is it possible to check if a certain device has passed the required testing?
AndyH
Grafter

Any device sold/provided by ISPs should have passed the testing.
Similarly, you would expect that manufacturers would advertise the fact that they've passed the testing/are compatible.
@ w23 - I'm sure I read the same also, but I looked for ages on the AVM site and couldn't find the link again Sad
DJGM1974
Dabbler

Ok ... so if there is a URL on this router that enables access to the advanced settings that most average users wouldn't generally use
(mentioned earlier in the thread) can anyone else confirm that it is there, and it actually does let you access the advanced settings?
If the advanced settings are indeed available via the URL, I might consider getting the new 2704n router. Would I only need to
call up customer service and request one is sent out to me, or would I have to report the existing Technicolor router as faulty
(even though it actually isn't faulty at this time) to get one sent out?