cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to allocate fixed DHCP Addresses in Hub Two

norman77
Dabbler

How to allocate fixed DHCP Addresses in Hub Two

If you need a fixed local IP address, e.g. for a Printer or a Network Disk Server, this is how to do it in Hub Two:

Your client device will initially be allocated a DHCP address. In Advanced Settings -> My Network -> Address Table,
click on the client. Enter new client IP address (and any other details), select Always Use this IP address,  
and Save. 
At this point, the OLD address will still be displayed. You think this is a Hub bug...

The trick is now to Restart the Hub two (NB not factory reset). Now your desired client address will be displayed. The next
time your client device requests a DHPC address, it will adopt the one you set.

I think this behaviour is because the DHCP Lease for the old address is still running. The Restart aborts the lease.

ps. It seems that the new address does not need to be in the block of dynamic DHCP addresses (i.e. 192.168.1.x can be
outside the 192.168.1.64 - 250 range) 

12 REPLIES 12
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: How to allocate fixed DHCP Addresses in Hub Two

To be honest it's much easier to pin the ip address that the hub two has already issued.

Find the device in this list http://192.168.1.254/basic_-_my_devices.htm

Then select:

CleanShot 2022-03-08 at 11.19.39@2x.png

No manual settings and no restarts required. 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

The trick is now to Restart the Hub two (NB not factory reset). Now your desired client address will be displayed. The next
time your client device requests a DHPC address, it will adopt the one you set.

All should need to do is to reboot the device not the Hub for the IP address to change.

For the Hub One you see this when you change to a static IP Address

Screenshot 2022-03-08 115738.png

This would be true for any device which uses DHCP for its IP address allocation.

Dan.

norman77
Dabbler

Thanks for your comments. I was posting specifically for Hub Two as I'd seen posts finding this difficult using Hub One.

I support a charity with 6 computers accessing network disk and two printers. All three need fixed IP addresses in their
setup, and making changes to the settings in all 6 computers isn't a good option if the addresses
can instead be fixed in the DHCP server.

Absolutely agree that a client device will need restart after allocated DHCP address is changed. But it does seem
that until Hub Two is restarted, it will DISPLAY the old DHCP address even if it starts Leasing the new one. I didn't
check. Maybe the Displayed address will update once the new lease is issued? So overall simpler to restart the Hub Two.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

Interesting, I'll find out for myself soon as I am about to renew my contract and request a Hub two.

Having numerous devices using a static IP Address of my choice (within the DHCP range) I won't be impressed if I have to reboot the Hub for the settings to take.

Dan.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Dan_the_Van  @norman77 

Unless you set the fixed address in the device then the answer is in this post https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/How-to-allocate-fixed-DHCP-Addresses-i....

It permanently allocates the IP address to that which it initially connects by storing what I assume is the device MAC address. This setting is kept despite hub reboots etc.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Baldrick1 

did you mean to loop this thread back to the first post?

Baldrick1

@Dan_the_Van 

• No the second one where @dvorak advises how to allocate an IP address ie fix an IP address to a device.

Moderator and Customer

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Baldrick1 you did indeed link the second post, the browser on my tablet took to me to the first post.

With regards to the suggestion in post two is all very well but, maybe the end user like me may like to assign specific IP Address to each device within the DHCP pool.

I have ranges for IP's for different types of device, some smart devices ONLY allow for DHCP IP assignment,  I like to use .200 to .220, I always use .250 for my printer. You might ask why, well when you have a network with multiple devices it makes sense to have some order.

From a support perspective random IP addresses across a range of different products (printers, smart devices, routers) is not helpful. The OP indicated he supports a charity.

Baldrick1

@Dan_the_Van 

This works for me:

1. Connect to hub using DHCP.

2. Go to the Advanced/My Network page.

3. Select the device.

4. Select Always Use this IP Address and Save.

5. Select the IP address, change it to your preferred address and Save.

I have tested it on an Ipad and it works. Note that you have to select always use this address first in order to open the option to set an address.

Moderator and Customer

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I've just tried exactly the same as detailed by @Baldrick1 and it's working for me too

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@Baldrick1 

thanks for confirming, please be advised this is @norman77 question not mine. So hopefully he'll be satisfied he should no longer need to reboot the Hub two for the changes to take.

I never doubted it would work, but it is different to the Hub One where you can change the IP address without the need to save use static address first.

Dan.

norman77
Dabbler

Thanks to everyone who has helped or commented with this. So a test with a little detail to confirm, using personal Raspberry pi.
 - Connect it to Hub Two for 1st time. Allocated 192.168.1.196 - OK;

- In Hub Two, set Raspberry to Fixed (unused) address 192.168.1.6. Redisplay Hub Two page, still shows 192.168.1.196;

- Reboot client Raspberry pi. Correctly gets 192.168.1.6  on a 24-hour lease;

- Now re-display Hub Two, now it does show 192.168.1.6. OK.

So address fixing in Hub Two does work correctly without rebooting it.
Just need to note that Hub Two displays current DHCP leases. After setting a new fixed address, and if you want to display the change, either reboot the client or reboot the Hub Two or wait for the client to renew the lease, probably in 12 hours.

Thanks again.