cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco 887VA or 897VA Router setup on Plusnet FTTC guide

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cisco 887VA or 897VA Router setup on Plusnet FTTC guide

You've obviously misunderstood what I said, I got the openreach modem in, I wanted to check that it worked at all, so I plugged it into the WAN port of the Hub One, and it got a connection with a new public IP and such, So the next step was plugging it into the Cisco Router, but the Ethernet WAN port does nothing, I have CCP installed so I might try and set it though that, but if that fails, I'm at a loss.
witherford
Rising Star

No i haven't misunderstood.

Imagine if i got paid a quid for every time i asked you the below question:

Have you plugged your cisco router in and checked if you get a public IP on your dialer interface?

I am going to stop helping you soon because your wasting my time, that router that you have got WILL WORK just follow my guidance or do you not want help?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was meaning the other member that responded, I'll try the commands you've given me tonight, I was too busy last night.

Hopefully I can fix things.

witherford
Rising Star

Ah right i see, no worries.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've now just connected the router up via DSL and it has a public IP and can ping any DNS servers and such, DHCP is working but I can't seem to get any internet on my client.
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I've at least made some progress, Thank god, I'm using the config I put in earlier with the right details obviously.

So I was thinking it was something to do with NAT, though I don't really know.

witherford
Rising Star

Excellent, it will likely be that your NAT is mis-configured or something is blocking the traffic for the clients going out but lets start from the basics with the device and work our way out.

1) Ensure you have put your DNS servers back to googles DNS servers on your router (assuming that is being used for DHCP)

2) Connect up a client and get an IP address from the router

3) view the ip configuration details on the client (ipconfig/ifconfig etc)

4) Ensure your Default gateway address is the same address configured on the VLAN on the router (have you got a switch connected to your router? if so is the VLAN configured and trunked from the switch up to the router)

5) Try pinging the default gateway address from your client and see if you can reach it, if you can't this is where your issue is, if you can then it's something on the router and you should move onto step 6

6) Run a continuous ping from your client to 8.8.8.8 and do a show IP nat translations, do you get output similar to what i posted previously, if not then NAT is your issue.

7) If their is no NAT output take a look at your NAT overload config and ensure it points to the access list setup and their is no typos or anything, then make sure the access list has a permit statement for the subnet you are using

Cool once you have tried these things please let me know the outcome. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

1: I tried with several different DNS servers on the router config, I'm set on using 1.1.1.1 instead, so I have that set.

2:I've connected up a client and DHCP was working, The client could ping the router, and vice versa, though I did have trouble pinging the client from the router in the end though I don't know what will happen when I plug it back in again.

3: I'll try the continuous ping but what I was getting before was something similar to this

1.1.1.1 - (some type of command showing it couldn't connect)

192.168.1.254 (Destination Host unreachable)

Loss 75%

It was something like that and I can plug it back in later to show what I meant by this.

Also I'll maybe have to look at the NAT overload, I used your 887 config, but I'm pretty sure I changed the name of one thing, though I correct my mistake, though again I'll double check.

Also I haven't touched the Access list, so I kind of just hoped that worked out of the box.

witherford
Rising Star

1: I tried with several different DNS servers on the router config, I'm set on using 1.1.1.1 instead, so I have that set.

Why are you setup on 1.1.1.1? id change that 8.8.8.8 primary and 8.8.4.4 secondary if you can or if you have your own local DNS server have this as secondary

2. When you are getting the loss what are you pinging? 1.1.1.1? or the client obtaining the IP? you want your client obtaining the IP to ping it's default gateway address with 100 percent success and around 1ms to 3ms response time and the router should also be able ping the client using the Data VLAN as the source address.

3. Can you explain exactly how your client is connected to the router? is it through a switch? if you can draw out a rough diagram of how it all connects i can help further.

4. Please also check the NAT with the commands i provided

5. My offer to team viewer on and have a look is still there

witherford
Rising Star

Did you manage to try my suggestions?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sadly not yet as I have been busy, I'll try and make the changes soon

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll try and get on this tomorrow morning.

1: I'm using 1.1.1.1 because Cloudflare has shown to be the fastest DNS provider time and time again.

2: I'm getting loss when pinging the router.

3: My client is connected directly to the router to the only Gigabit port.

4: Also I'll do that tomorrow morning, also I don't exactly see how Teamviewer would help us troubleshoot anything considering I loose connection when testing the Router because of plugging the DSL cable in.

TurboApples

Hi,

Thanks for posting this guide, I've been trying to get my 887VA-M working for a while.

I've followed the steps to the letter, obviously changing the ppp credentials, but I am struggling to get external connectiviy.

The Dialer0 interface gets a public ip address, but if I run ping 8.8.8.8 Dialer0 it fails with 0 percent (0/5).

Here is the output from sh ip int brief

Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
ATM0                       unassigned      YES unset  administratively down down    
Dialer0                    46.xxx.xxx.xxx  YES IPCP   up                    up      
Ethernet0                  unassigned      YES unset  up                    up      
Ethernet0.101              unassigned      YES unset  up                    up    

Do you have any suggestions I can try, I'm guessing that once the Dialer0 gets a public ip it should at least be able to ping 8.8.8.8 without any further config?

witherford
Rising Star

Strange that you are getting loss pinging a router that you are connected directly to, have you got another cable to try?

If your on a Laptop that has wireless you could tether your connection of a mobile hotspot and then console onto the router whilst it's connected to the DSL.

Can you send me the up to date config of your router by attaching it here please, i want to see the gigabit ethernet port config.

witherford
Rising Star

Hi,

Do you have a default route pointing to your dialer interface? ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dialer 0

do you have a live source interface? for example if you are pinging 8.8.8.8 is your VLAN interface UP/UP?

Where are you trying to ping it from? a PC? the router?

If you are running the PC from a PC or other connected device run a continious ping and do a show ip nat translations and post your output here.