Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access Website on Plusnet Router

FIXED
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Can't access Website on Plusnet Router

I expect it resolves back to BT because it is hosted on a BT broadband account, and they haven't changed the rDNS.

Usually web geo-blocks will at least tell you that it is blocked.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

I agree that could well be true - but why is it so? If I (or anyone) tried to access the site via the IP, web-browsers threw of up a cert warning, which suggests the site-builders have not done their job properly.

John
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

If I (or anyone) tried to access the site via the IP, web-browsers threw of up a cert warning, which suggests the site-builders have not done their job properly.

No, that's pretty normal (I have sites that do that too).

The reason is that most certificates list the domain(s) that they relate to as fully qualified domain names (FQDN). While an IP address can be used (depending on the issuing authority) it isn't recommended unless you can be absolutely sure the IP address will never ever change, because if it does your certificate becomes worse than useless.

It is considered better practice to have visitors come via the FQDN, as that means the IP address can be changed without any problems.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

OK, I accept I am still learning, and thanks for the information.

John
RichV
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Fix

Thanks to all who have contributed to this post. I can tell you that as of yesterday afternoon I gained access to Euro Car Parts.

I delayed posting just in case it was removed overnight but it wasn't. I'm sorry but I can not help as to why as from my end nothing has changed and even my public IP address is the same.

One possibility exists is that I reported the problem through the Plusnet Help Desk and maybe they did something that I have not been informed of. 

Thanks again to all of you. 

martinpix
Hooked

I am having the same problem , I had similar problem before and using a different browser worked , unfortunately now it

will not conne ct at all using the web address in full or using their IP address or clicking a link from google or from any browser.

ive tried via Firefox and opera as well as safari ( safari has always disliked this site) however I have reset my router and updated its firmware still to no avail , also my phone wont pick up the site if using wifi but will if using mobile data .

same on iPads and amazon netbooks and laptop and Mac , so definitely anything attached to my router be it wifi or wired .

This really needs sorting I thing it something to do with Plusnet as all other providers seem to be trouble free with this site.

martinpix
Hooked

forgot to add I have a static IP address that shows up online on checking it as a London IP address although I'm in Yorkshire

SanityClause

I had exactly the same problem with eurocarparts website when I rejoined Plusnet, two weeks ago.

I never had a problem with BT, and nothing has changed at my end, not even the BT Smart Hub 2, which I'm still using.

The Plusnet IP address [which was possibly the problem] was 213.31.95.3

Plusnet support has given me a new fixed IP, in the 212.159.75 range, and this seems to have resolved the issue.