Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't access Website on Plusnet Router

FIXED
corringham
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Can't access Website on Plusnet Router

I expect it resolves back to BT because it is hosted on a BT broadband account, and they haven't changed the rDNS.

Usually web geo-blocks will at least tell you that it is blocked.

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 63

I agree that could well be true - but why is it so? If I (or anyone) tried to access the site via the IP, web-browsers threw of up a cert warning, which suggests the site-builders have not done their job properly.

John
corringham
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

If I (or anyone) tried to access the site via the IP, web-browsers threw of up a cert warning, which suggests the site-builders have not done their job properly.

No, that's pretty normal (I have sites that do that too).

The reason is that most certificates list the domain(s) that they relate to as fully qualified domain names (FQDN). While an IP address can be used (depending on the issuing authority) it isn't recommended unless you can be absolutely sure the IP address will never ever change, because if it does your certificate becomes worse than useless.

It is considered better practice to have visitors come via the FQDN, as that means the IP address can be changed without any problems.

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 63

OK, I accept I am still learning, and thanks for the information.

John
RichV
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Fix

Thanks to all who have contributed to this post. I can tell you that as of yesterday afternoon I gained access to Euro Car Parts.

I delayed posting just in case it was removed overnight but it wasn't. I'm sorry but I can not help as to why as from my end nothing has changed and even my public IP address is the same.

One possibility exists is that I reported the problem through the Plusnet Help Desk and maybe they did something that I have not been informed of. 

Thanks again to all of you.