cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

options beyond 60Gb per month?

Ronski
Rising Star

Re: options beyond 60Gb per month?

Got to say I'm not impressed either, I've been with PN since 2003. PN seems so far behind the competition now, no 40/10 or 80/20 products. Usage allowances that are starting to look restrictive when you start taking into account streaming services, cloud backups etc.
I haven't felt confident recommending PN for a while now, the first FTTC cabinets have gone live in our area, and my big question is can I really recommend PN when their FTTC products are so lacking? Only this morning I told a friend who's cabinet has just gone live that PN should be updating it's products, but I guess I'll have to tell him it's not going to happen any time soon.
Bottom line, people are not going to keep waiting, when my cabinet goes live I need to decide to.
Shall I stay or shall I go now......
cja
Grafter

ejs - I go back to 2004 with Plusnet and it was done back then at least once, maybe twice, perhaps not on every package.
I agree it hasn't been done recently.
CJA
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

And I wouldn't want it done now either. I'm quite happy on my legacy package - it suits my current usage and budget.
cja
Grafter

Ronski,
Couldn't agree more.
I am seriously considering Zen, bit more money but they've stayed true to their market position, they innovate and there customer service has alway been amongst the very best.  I am looking for an ISP that will remain consistent and Plusnet hasn't
Plusnet was "Innovation and Customer Service" when I joined then went to be "Really good value", now, not sure where Plusnet are ?  Sky, Virgn, BT, Talktalk can all undercut Plusnet on price though I think Plusnet on has the edge on customer service.
CJA
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

The trouble with customer service is it's only good when you need it and if you don't generally need it as your connection is good then excellent customer service is of no real value....if you follow that Undecided
I pay for my broadband and it's associated customer service but I'm primarily interested in the price of the broadband (and the obligatory line rental) and that is what influences my choice of supplier.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
kyber
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I am on an unlimited plan with PN. I switched earlier this year after a conversation with the customer service team. It is an old product, it is not the cheapest or most flexible of options (upload speeds are very limited and there are bandwidth restrictions on VPN connections - both of these are problems for me and I may well have to move on). Fair use terms do of course apply. I do not do anything that would generally abuse the spirit of the service.
Compared to many of you, I am a relatively new customer to PN. I chose them a few years ago to provide service to a temporary work flat and arranged termination when I was coming to the end of the assignment that had me work in the location in question. At the time, my main home was service by BT but I was persuaded to switch to PN rather than say goodbye but the product was not quite right for me and I decided after a short period that I would have to move on and asked for the mac code accordingly.
The best provider without doubt I have ever been with is Zen. You pay a price for this. Generally, I like the level of communications and support available through this forum and the ticket system in general (although it has some oddities, and you do tend to get the "default" assumptions behaviours typical of any organisation dealing with lots of standard profile customers at scale).
I am looking forward to seeing what they offer in the future. I have no fundamental objection to paying more for the right service that I can have confidence in. Just don't want to be paying more than the next guy for the same service of course. Sadly, fibre is not imminent in my area (not least because Virgin cable have a high presence but they cannot service my property and overall BT have little incentive to go fibre in the area because of the Virgin coverage).
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Not forgotten about this.    Just had a chat with our Finance Director and we've got a little bit more to do tomorrow morning, but we should be able to put out some information after that.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
macman2
Grafter

I just wanted to post my 2 cents on this and I'm sure most will agree but My issue is not so much the allowance, its more the fact that uploads and downloads are included in the count. A lot of ISP's that have usage caps mostly have uploads unlimited.
Even if you cant for some reason offer a unlimited (Upload & Download) package, A boost to 120GB a month would be more than enough to satisfy a lot of users I would think (Not sure about fibre people)
Thanks
cja
Grafter

Any chance we might get the fabled Fibre 10 Mbps upload that has been coming soon for months as well ?
CJA..
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm pretty sure we've done that for some customers already, however at the moment we have the 80/20 trial ongoing so it made more sense to move customers to that instead of charging extra for a 10Mb upload.
dick:quote
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Ronski
Rising Star

My main concern with going on the 80/20 trial is will there be a 40/10 product when the 80/20 trial ends? As others have mentioned the 40/10 product has been rumoured for over a year now, which doesn't inspire confidence, especially when other ISPs have been selling it.
I can understand the 80/20 still being a trial, as some are having problems with it.
cja
Grafter

Following on from Ronski - If you look at the traffic in Thinkbroadband a good number of people with strong 40/10 are choosing not to have 80/20. The reason I don't do trials and I like good customer services (hence plusnet) is I don't want an unreliable service.  Right at the moment 80/20 looks a little unstable, 40/10 is reliable, hence I'd like 40/10, others will want the same.
Appreciate the suggestion Chris but its not delivering what has been suggested and what happens when the next BT product arrives before you roll out 80/20 do we wait again ? You trialled 40/10 why not deliver it, why pilot yet again and upset those of us who have been waiting patiently, especially if 80/20 is going to be less solid ?
CJA
Chris
Legend

Quote from: Kelly
Not forgotten about this.    Just had a chat with our Finance Director and we've got a little bit more to do tomorrow morning, but we should be able to put out some information after that.

Well we've made some more progress, there are a few things we need to finalise (testing etc) but we should be able to share more information either tomorrow or after the long weekend.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chuckster
Grafter

Come on PN guys and gals... stop dangling the carrot and tell us what you've got.  You could end up finalising things for weeks.. 
Chris
Legend

Right, I'm not sure when we're going to be ready to go live with this and I'd like to stress that it's not a full product refresh, simply an update to a product to allow more usage.
What we're looking at is increasing the usage on the old Plusnet Premium product up to 120GB for the same price point it was previously at (£15.99 or £19.99), it won't be available at signup or in the customer facing account change process as to do this would require significant development work and we wanted to turn this around quickly.
We'll let you know when this is going live and how to move over to it.