Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

options beyond 60Gb per month?

aerodiver
Dabbler

Re: options beyond 60Gb per month?

Not cool, and what about us struggling fibre customers on 40GB and 120GB  Cry
I was really hoping for some significant movement in standard allowances to reflect the recent shift in behaviour towards streaming, gaming and the emergence of HD video.  An average usage of 4GB per day is no longer considered laughable if you add in a few hours of HD TV, and some gaming & general usage from the rest of the household.
I'm new to Plusnet and have to say I'm really impressed with your customer service and the strong technical community and trials engagement.  I understood the peak usage limits when signing up, but at that point had no idea what my actual usage would be when moving from slow [but free] unlimited ADSL with Orange to 80/20 FTTC!  This is harder to understand now that PN are running the JLP Fibre service on more flexible and generous wholesale terms than their own core products.  Strange business model.
I'm beginning to worry I've locked myself into a further 16 months of obsessing over daily usage figures and chastising the wife for wasting bandwidth on iPlayer by watching trash like Eastenders in HD  Grin
Come on - I dare you...  do me proud!
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Quote from: aerodiver
Not cool, and what about us struggling fibre customers on 40GB and 120GB   Cry
I was really hoping for some significant movement in standard allowances

That is more likely to happen in the full product refresh, in Q3
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If we were to do a full refresh now then that would take a *lot* longer than this tactical solution. We really want to get this out quickly so have gone with a solution that's not involving much (if any) development time.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
keithl
Dabbler

Chris, in the  thinkbroadband thread that you referenced, somebody wrote this:
"Phoned PN up this morning, and they said John Lewis BB is traffic managed as well. Got offered an unlimited package to try out..."
Can you explain what's going on there? Is there currently an unlimited package available to some customers?
Chris
Legend

It's been mentioned in the forums in the past, we have a product that we sold a couple of years ago called Plusnet Unlimited. Our customer options team can move customers on to this and do so in certain circumstances, we can't put this product back on sale to the masses as it no longer fits in our product set in it's current form.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
keithl
Dabbler

Could you say what those circumstances are? I came to this board because I had to add an extra £25's worth of bandwidth to my bill last month. Here I read that if I'd called in to cancel, I might well have been offered an unlimited package. I also read that John Lewis customers appear to be using the plusnet infrastructure, and they have an unlimited option available to them.
Chris
Legend

The circumstances are based on tenure as a customer, usage habits, billing reliability and some common sense from the customer options team.
keithl
Dabbler

I've been a customer for, I think, 2 years. I pay by direct debit. My usage is variable. Would the unlimited option be available to me?  How much does it cost?
Chris
Legend

You'd need to contact our customer options team for pricing and availability of that product.
bobboulby
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
What we're looking at is increasing the usage on the old Plusnet Premium product up to 120GB for the same price point it was previously at (£15.99 or £19.99), it won't be available at signup or in the customer facing account change process as to do this would require significant development work and we wanted to turn this around quickly.

That's good news Chris, 120GB should be enough for me - well for immediate future anyway  Smiley
One question though, I'm already on the old Premium product so do you know if the change will take effect automatically?
Bob
keithl
Dabbler

I have to say all of this hidden-from-view, unavailable to "the masses" stuff leaves a pretty unpleasant taste in my mouth. You're saying that there is an unlimited product available, which many customers would like,  but you offer it only to those who call in and threaten to leave.  A company which makes the best deals available only to those who complain the loudest is not one that inspires customer loyalty.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I'm also confused when 'development time' was mentioned earlier on.
Presumably the JL accounts are managed by the same systems as the PlusNet ones?
If so then unlimited profile accounts are already being maintained by the PlusNet systems (Workplace?), so hasn't this already been implemented?
Chris
Legend

Implementing a product into Workplace is only part of the equation, you have to implement into the correct billing IDs, check usage charging and aggregation works correctly, add into product change tools, perform rigorous testing on everything that's built. It's also been mentioned previously that the JLBB products have been built in conjunction with John Lewis and their customer base in mind.
We should have more information about the increase for Premium accounts next week.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: aerodiver
..................I'm beginning to worry I've locked myself into a further 16 months of obsessing over daily usage figures and chastising the wife for wasting bandwidth on iPlayer by watching trash like Eastenders in HD  ;D......................

Why don't you buy her an HD TV and tell her to watch it on TV like most people, or if you already have an HD TV without an HD Tuner, buy here an HD PVR, she can record it all as well then which is what normal people do, well if you consider watching Eastenders to be normal  Cheesy
Why people insist on watching HD TV on-line when it's available free-to-air, I do not know  Roll_eyes
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Why people insist on watching HD TV on-line when it's available free-to-air, I do not know  Roll_eyes

There can be situations where freeview isn't available to all and for me, I have a Sky feed on a TV but no terrestrial feed (and we all know that digital reception isn't forgiving like good old analogue) and indoor aerials for digital TV are of little use in my experience. Don't pay for Sky HD as I give them enough as it is before you ask... Wink
Regarding Eastenders - one can fully understand why this needs to be on a computer or tablet device given the subject matter so as not to punish all who watch a main TV!
@Chris - I assume that the price points are still fixed for their previous market bands - i.e. only Market 3 exchanges get the lower price and Markets 1 and 2 pay the higher price (unlike the current products which allow the same price for Market 2 and 3 exchanges)?
Also, on the face of it the traffic shaping overall looks better than for the Extra Fibre package (though that of course allows full line speed for an additional £5) but this is making an assumption it is open to Fibre customers such as those on trials etc?