Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will it get better?

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Will it get better?

thats correct 992.3 is 21CN ADSL2
in general if the synch is below 4000 its not worth trying ADSL2, Jo Jo can he go onto ADSL (992.1) as a trial, it might give them a higher speed
IanR273
Hooked

Hi guys i have ended up here searching for some answers.
I signed up with plus net after moving home recently, when i carried out the "estimated line speed test" prior to signing up i was estimated to get a 7mb +/- 1mb connection which sounded great, if not a bit generous  Roll_eyes considering i was moving away from the exchange and my previous ISP managed 5mb (demon). Any way after being with plus net for almost 2 months my connection speed is currently 0.25mb! Embarrassed here is a copy and paste from the high speed internet page...
Phone exchange:
   AMBLE
Estimated line speed:
   7Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-11-25 13:10:04
Current line speed:
   0.25 Mb
I have raised a ticket and had a BT engineer out to see if there were any problems. He told me that i would never in a million years get 7mb (which i knew from the off) but said i should get a stable 1mb connection at the time my line speed was averaging 0.4mb and he told me that the line was running at only 50% of its capacity? Since his visit about a month ago my speed has decreased to the current 0.25mb. I have attached a speedtest.net url that i carried out today.
So my question is... Does it really get better? Or should i consider getting one of those mobile broadband dongles and just give up with wired broadband.

Cry
gstrickland
Grafter

Well, we're not getting the estimated speed either - no surprise there then. The speed since signing up has dropped off a little.......

... but the service has remained fairly stable.
The only thing I can add at the moment is that the service is noticeably slower during the evenings.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@IanR273
That estimated speed result seems suspicious given the circumstances you describe. Had your phone number recently been assigned to a different line?
What estimate is given now if you put your number into the BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker?
Posting your router stats - from here if you are using a Thomson router, or see Kitz frogstats - would help Community members give more informed comment.
David
David
gstrickland
Grafter

Thanks for posting that sprayxt. I just did the BT Wholesale broadband checker and it tells me:
"Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2Mbps and 6Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 5.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 4.5Mbps and 9Mbps."
So my quesion is, why am I not getting an ADSL2+ connection from Plusnet?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: gstrickland
So my question is, why am I not getting an ADSL2+ connection from Plusnet?

The MSAN at the exchange has determined the higher ADSL2+ frequencies contribute nothing - so it uses ADSL2 for your connection.
Does your distance by road from the exchange given by Kitz's availability checker tie in with that implied by your attenuation (3.9km)?
David
David
gstrickland
Grafter

Distance:- Direct:    2.04 km
  (appx)* By Road: 3.06 km

Link Information

Uptime: 6 days, 7:07:19
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 960 / 2,572
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 3,160
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 361.28 / 4.28
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 17.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.0 / 53.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.5 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 96 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 46,973,135
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 163 / 6,523
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 112 / 37,408
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Now that you are out of the training period and on the basis that your connection speed is well below the lower bound from the checker (for 21CN/ADSL2+) getting a fault check done would seem worthwhile. That would require you to connect to the test socket, try a different filter and different router. I expect you have a spare filter but do you have an alternative router to try? (Slow Speed Guide)
David
David
gstrickland
Grafter

I have my well and very trusted 3Com router (ADSL2+). I'll try that I guess. The question arises however, what could be wrong with the router PN provided? Is it not up to the job?
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Nothing should be wrong with the router provided by Plusnet but any equipment can fail. A BT engineer finding the problem is with user equipment can be expensive.
David
David
IanR273
Hooked

Quote from: spraxyt
@IanR273
That estimated speed result seems suspicious given the circumstances you describe. Had your phone number recently been assigned to a different line?
What estimate is given now if you put your number into the BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker?
Posting your router stats - from here if you are using a Thomson router, or see Kitz frogstats - would help Community members give more informed comment.
David

Thanks for the reply my router is a belkin n1 and i think these are the stats your asking for...
Status

Version Info
  Firmware Version
F5D8632-4_WW_1.00.06
  Boot Version
v1.01
  Hardware
F5D8632-4 v1
  Serial No.

LAN Settings
  LAN/WLAN MAC
00:1C:DF:A2:70:5C
  IP address
Subnet mask
  DHCP Server
Enabled
Internet Settings
WAN MAC address
00:26:BB:12:C1:0F
Connection Type
PPPoA
  Subnet mask
Wan IP
Default gateway
DNS Address
212.159.6.10 212.159.6.9

Features
Firewall Settings
Enabled
SSID
Belkin_N1_A2705C
Security
Enabled
WPS
Enabled
Guest Access
Disabled

ADSL
  Status
      UP

Downstream Upstream
        Data rate(Kbps)
      320                 416
The BT wholesale url quotes a broadband line speed of 1mb ranging from 250kbps to 2mb.
On the plus side according to the BT wholesale link the exchange i am currently on is due to be upgraded to adsl2+ in march, and i should get a line speed of between 1mb and 3.5mb so hopefully i may get a speed boost soon. But it looks like i am stuck with dial up speeds till then  Cry .
Just a shame i am expected to pay the same as people in areas with up to 8x the speed i have, hardly seems fair in my opinion. Undecided (Referring to people i know in Amble on the same package as me).
pierre_pierre
Grafter

sorry to say on the result above, ADSL2 will do nothing for you, it might even get worse
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: IanR273
ADSL
  Status
      UP
      Downstream Upstream
         Data rate(Kbps)
      320                 416

That information provides your downstream and upstream sync speeds, and the IP Profile for 320kbps sync speed is 250kbps - the value shown in the Member Centre as Current line speed.
Since you had a higher sync speed initially I wonder if the DLM has increased your target noise margin to reduce disconnections and/or transmission errors - was the connection previously prone to dropping?
Does the router status page that contains the sync speed information include any Operating Data, in particular Noise Margin, Attenuation, CRC Errors and HEC Errors?
Regarding the potential for slightly increased speeds on 21CN/ADSL2; those estimates might reflect the small green shaded area above 70dB attenuation on the Internode graph on this page. Sorry to sound pessimistic but I doubt there are many willing to bank on that being a real effect.
David
David