Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet Pro and degraded internet connection

devonrevill
Dabbler

PlusNet Pro and degraded internet connection

Coincidence?
Last week I got offered to pay an extra £5/month for a nebulous improved level of traffic priority (with no specific commitments as to performance) and this week, starting monday, my internet performance levels are measureably variable.  Whereas i used to be able to get a pretty steady 4.5Mb/sec now i still get that as a max, but i now see regular drops down to 1Mb or less for a few moments.  just enough to screw up gaming experience and sometimes enough to mess up video downloads (streamed).
I work in technology and I used to work for a telco, i know how traffic is managed to deliver QoS (Quality of service).  What i am seeing is what i would expect when certain levels of QoS smoothing technology are turned off (i suspect they were on before).  My internet connection is showing its still on, its nice and steady.  but the service received from the ISP PoP is changed from last week.  No changes in my system setup at all, not even an OS update.
i used to pay the 'extra' for PLUS's gaming service, but then i needed a greater data limit rather than prioritised data.  I measured the before and after in terms of latency and throughput as well as up time.  The difference was hardly meaurable.  So I stayed for the last year or so with the 60Gb download package.  Now suddenly the throughput stability has suddenly gone all 'wobbly' and inconsistent.
I don't like coincidences, especially when cash is attached, my cash.
Anyone else experiencing a suddenly more unstable connection as of Monday this week?
2 REPLIES 2
CX
Grafter

Re: PlusNet Pro and degraded internet connection

It's a coincidence. Perhaps your line has synced slightly higher than before (for whatever reason), and is struggling in terms of error rates at certain times, resulting in the streaming issues.
What are the DSL statistics like from the router?
I have been offered the Pro add-on a few times, never experienced any deliberate degradation of service.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: PlusNet Pro and degraded internet connection

Coincidence in my opinion. I also had the Pro add-on notification, and haven't taken it up. I haven't experienced any change in service performance or stability.
David