cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why stay with plus net ?

karhin

Why stay with plus net ?

I have been seriously thinking of leaving plus net for some time time. because as far as I can see there are number of other providers offering a superior service for less money. Be and O2 for example offer 2O MB service for 15 pounds with no fair use policy ( or at least a very lenient policy that doest involve throttling ) . I currently pay 22 pounds for a 8mb service with plus net and constantly have to endure emails like this:
As a Premier customer, you receive a monthly peak-time usage allowance of
20GB. This allowance ensures that everyone gets a fair share of our network
resources during peak hours (4pm - Midnight).

I signed up for plus net almost 5 years ago because at the time they were offering a progressive and good value service that other couldn't match but i think that's no longer the case. Do other plus net users agree with me and what does plus net itself have to say about this.
20 REPLIES 20
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Why stay with plus net ?

You still appear to be on the old legacy Premier product?
Have you looked at the currently available products 
BBYW Option 3 is only £19.55 for 30 meg.  The Peak hours change though - free overnight loading is available between 24:00 and 08:00
BBYW Option 2 is even cheaper at £14.65 for 15 Meg
...........there are number of other providers offering a superior service for less money.............

Here you have to make your own mind mind up about what constitutes a 'superior' service.  Is it Cost?  Performance?  Service?
Currently Plusnet does not offer a High Speed ADSL 2 service, but read the Blogs, it is coming soon.  On the service front, you will find it difficult to match the Plusnet offering.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

BB margins are slim - if you move, you will probably lose in areas such as service - a Plusnet speciality(?)
in order to gain in speed - which may be illusory - I don't think 20Mbits is guaranteed.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: karhin
Be and O2 for example offer 2O MB service for 15 pounds.

Be is (currently after VAT reduction) £17.50 for "up to" 24mbps. And that's very distance-dependent. And I mean VERY.
Email service is extra. 3months notice.
O2 own Be but it's a different proposition from them based on the same ADSL2+ platform.
It's horses for courses though - I'm on Be as the 21mbps downloads and 1400kbps uploads I get (checked & evaluated beforehand) currently outweigh the other factors that drew me to PN. And 21CN is years away on my exchange. But it wouldn't suit everyone here I can assure you (based on active participation on their forums and here and studying the packages in detail).
And Be may be "unlimited" at present but their network has its problems and I'm not sure how long it's sustainable, especially with people boasting of downloading hundreds of GB per month (and I'm cross-subsidising them).
okmbok
Grafter

I know the feeling.  Last bill £25 for 1/2Mbps .  Angry
1  Account Billing (2008-12-25 to 2009-01-24)  £12.76  £1.91  £14.67 
1  6GB Included Data Transfer Charge From 25/12/2008  £2.54  £0.38  £2.92 
1  6GB Additional Data Transfer Charge Until 25/12/2008  £4.59  £0.69  £5.28 
1  Include Data Transfer Upgrade Charge On 25/12/2008  £1.27  £0.19  £1.46 
total £25
Dont know why the additional charge the 2nd time round is double?Huh
Anyway seems like I need to seek pastures new Undecided
(BTW I have been with f9/plusnet since 2001)
VileReynard
Hero

On the other hand...
About 15 months ago I joined Plusnet.
1. They sorted out a long-standing problem with speed for me.
2. I got a small discount because of the referral scheme...
3. I got £5 per month (I think) for 6 months.
4. I signed up for a free router...
5. I've just been given £3 per month off for the next 12 months.
My only problem is keeping track of the mostly decreasing cost per month.
I'm currently paying less than £16 per month (includes one referral) for 30GB peak time data transfer.
I think I'm allowed another 30+ GB offpeak...
But it's the excellent customer service which is the major benefit. (Seriously).  Smiley

mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
On the other hand...
But it's the excellent customer service which is the major benefit. (Seriously).  Smiley

I recently came into PN having been with other ISP's  Smiley
The grass is always greener etc.
Many other ISP's have really appalling customer service .
In the time I have been with PN - and I have to be honest - I have had a few issues, mainly  billing, but the customer service have sorted the problems much, much better than other ISP's I have been with in the last 10 years or more.
so you take your pick and live with it........................
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: karhin
Be and O2 for example offer 2O MB service for 15 pounds with no fair use policy ( or at least a very lenient policy that doest involve throttling ) .

Only if your exchange is on this list otherwise you will be on a BT wholesale product of up to 8mb at a higher cost.
MuppetGrinder
Grafter

I have to totally disagree with the OP.  As far as connection speed goes, you could pay less for the same.  As far as bandwidth allowance goes, you could pay less for *ahem* unrestricted.  As far as SERVICE you won't get better (IMO at any rate) I have had to deal with many ISP's over the years, both my own, and making calls on behalf of clients and not one ISP I have spoke to is anywhere near Plusnet for service.  You see to me that extra £5 a month I could spend on two pints down the local is better spent ensuring that when somthing goes wrong, as it inevitably does lets be honest, that there will be someone that I can contact that knows what they are doing and is able to not only resolve the issue, but tell me like is and keep me in the loop. 
I used to pay £14.99 a month for home max from Orange, and you know what I got told when I asked if there was any possability of a static global IP address?  "No sir, I am sorry, but your IPaddress is assigned by your router and will change every time you restart your computer. There is no way to change this, I am sorry."  I tried a further 3 times to explain what I was talking about, and then hung up on the moron. And, as it was an 090 number, that cost me the £5 I was saving for that month.
Nah, keep your value ISPs, you get what you pay for in this game, and I for one think that the QoS from PN merrits the little bit extra out the bank account each month.
scootie
Grafter

as for yestardays connection problems if that had happend with a free for all kind of isp that would of brought the network down to a crawl for all.
its for these sorts of reasons i stick with plusnet.
yes if all you do is p2p and download and upload 1gb files then a free for all provider would meet these needs.
but if like me you want to be able to browse the web, play XBL with no lag issues, skype the moment you choice to at any time of the day then PN's products are designed to your needs.
also the more loyal you are to PN the lower your monthly bill is.
The_10th
Grafter

5. I've just been given £3 per month off for the next 12 months...

Interesting. Would this offer be available to all?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The_10th
Grafter

Thanks
VileReynard
Hero

I've encountered some kind of line problem / router problem.
6. Plusnet are sending me a router to swap-in so that I can rule out (or not) a router problem.
Free of charge.  Smiley

The_10th
Grafter

6. Plusnet are sending me a router to swap-in so that I can rule out (or not) a router problem.
Free of charge.  Smiley

Do you have Christmas party pics  Grin - Us mere mortals have to provide our own spare routers!