Did you mean: 

Static IP address change programme

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Static IP address change programme

Hi Ace Bullet Catchers,
Can you provide an update / advise on how the static IP address change plan is progressing / what is happening please?  On 20th Jan I received an email advising...
During the week beginning 16th February we will change the static IP address we currently give you to a different one. We will send you an email confirming what the new static IP address is once we've made the change and you'll then begin using the new address the next time you disconnect and reconnect to the Internet or reboot your router.

Today I was (out of having nothing better to do... :D) poking around my closed questions and found...
Question #99467513 - Your Feedback
Dave T - Products - Port Requests
11:36am, Tuesday 17 Feb 2015
StaticIP component #5381873 unconfigured

From which I imply that my existing static IP address has been un-configured and next time I drop PPP I will get ... what?
A dynamic IP address or some new address not yet advised of / not yet configured for my account in a manner similar to that used in the past?  I note that the user portal reports a different static IP address to the one which I had.
Has the change been completed or is it still part-in-process?  Some more information on how this is being implemented would be comforting please.
I note the following from the above email...
It's likely that you won't need to do anything. However, if you run your own website or email server you may need to make appropriate changes to make sure it continues to work.

It would be worth noting in the email (yet to be sent out) which advises of the changed static IP address, that those of us with TBB BQMs or other monitors will need to alter them to refer to the new IP address.  (I nearly forgot to consider this).  Also (to be tidy) this page will need refreshing too - http://community.plus.net/ping-graphs/
[ Dave T's line looks horrid! ]
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

19 REPLIES 19
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Static IP address change programme

That service note is from the change of IP happening. Hopefully next time you disconnect/reconnect the IP you get assigned matches the one shown in your portal.
Not sure what's happening with the ping-graphs page, let me follow that up.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Chris,
[pedant]That service note is for the existing service component being removed - there is no similar SN indicating the provision of a new service component[/pedant]  Cheesy
- hence the question.
I'm sure that next time PPP drops all will change my IP, however if it were not for the fact that I have been poking around closed questions, I would not have known why anything referring to my static IP address had then stopped working... because the (promised ?) communication confirming change has not been sent.
Wink
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Some of the follow-up emails haven't been sent, I've been assured they are going today!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Chris,
You are more effective than a dose of Epsom Salts - email sent 16:44.
Hopefully the loop is closed for every one - just hope every one remembers their BQMs.

Thanks,
Kevin

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Just to follow on from what Kevin has said already in this thread.
Our static IP was scheduled to be changed this week. I noticed yesterday (Tuesday) the IP address shown in the portal had changed and found the same closed ticket notice as Kevin saw on his account. Waited all day for email notifying change had happened but nothing arrived, and still today as I post this no email.
Also our custom rDNS entry hasn't been updated to the new IP address and as a result it's back to the default. I've already added the new IP to the domain DNS records so that part is all set, it just needs PlusNet to set things their end.
A bit of a palaver this has been. Had quite a few things to update to work with the new IP but didn't expect PlusNet to drop the ball seeing as they're the ones who started the whole thing.
That's RPM to you!!
oooBEXooo
Grafter

why would you need a static ip from plusnet when you can get dynamic dns for free? Whats the difference?
picbits
Rising Star

Running your own mail and web servers generally requires a static IP address. If you have a CCTV system that you want to access from the internet is another example.
You can use services like Dyndns or similar but they don't look very professional and you run the risk of being allocated an IP address that has previously been blacklisted.
oooBEXooo
Grafter

So no difference then. Not sure how a line you add into your settings can be unprofessional, as for an address thats blacklisted, doesnt dynamic dns use a web address? Which is updated on your router. I run a media centre with all the goodies inc webserver and smart dn for 15  years, and never heard of anyone ever getting blacklisted ips for it.
picbits
Rising Star

If I was to run my mail server on a a dynamic system and I was given an IP address which had previously been abused by another member, the mail I sent to customers would potentially not get there as most mail servers now check against blacklist servers.
There is a huge difference between having a static IP address and a dynamic IP address.
You can also benefit from a static IP address if you are using connection monitoring software. I can look at the last 30 days of my connection and see any congestion or disconnections.
Some people don't need a static IP address and are happy with it changing periodically. I've always run static IP addresses and always kept my servers clean and blacklist free so have very few issues with email I send through them.
picbits
Rising Star

Oh - also handy (and secure) for site to site backups where you restrict access to a single or small group of IP addresses.
oooBEXooo
Grafter

Im still stumped as to how you can blacklist a dynamic dns? You checked out services like no-ip that allow you to make your own web address and direct mail etc to that? I completely understand as to why you`d need a static ip, as i required one and discovered that dynamic dns is literally the same thing. I have dynamic dns setup and all connections for my address are passed to my media centre via DMZ. How would you blacklist this dynamic dns for example? thisisatestaccount.no-ip.biz. No IP to blacklist
picbits
Rising Star

You *have* to have an IP address to access the internet.
You have two options with PN, Static which never changes or Dynamic which they give you out of a pool and changes periodically.
It makes no difference which "no-ip" or "dyn-dns" service you sign up with, if you are browsing or sending emails from your PC or home server with an IP address your ISP has handed you which has previously been abused, you can have issues.
We've had members who have been unable to get onto a website before because it has previously blocked an IP address which has been given out to a customer who abused it. They were allocated another IP address which solved the issue.
The no-ip and dyndns etc are handy for associating a domain to a dynamically changing IP address but if you are using your connection for more serious purposes it can cause issues. I had my first static IP address back in 1997/98 when I was an IT Manager - I've found them useful ever since.
picbits
Rising Star

Quote from: oooBEXooo
How would you blacklist this dynamic dns for example? thisisatestaccount.no-ip.biz. No IP to blacklist

Give me a valid no-ip address and I'll give you the associated IP it points to.
The example you gave doesn't exist.
*Edit - you do realise that when you use a service such as no-ip or dyndns, when your IP address changes (via your ISP), your router (or PC software) informs the no-ip or dyndns services which then tells the other machines on the internet who try and access your server via the domain name that it is now pointing to your new IP address ?
oooBEXooo
Grafter

I`ve only got mine, Which I aint going to plaster on here lol. Is it possible to PM on here?