cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fibre - Slower than Dial Up, Avoid

stylusnet

Plusnet Fibre - Slower than Dial Up, Avoid

Just had a Plusnet  fibre line installed. In the same room is another BT fibre line that runs slow at 13/0.67 upload. The engineer said it's all working fine, drove away so I plugged in the plusnet equipment and guess what no broadband.  After an hour I got a download speed of 1mb and no upload. Tried to call support - 25 minute wait. So I called cancellations and told them to cancel refund my £30 connection, which they did after an argument, and cancelled the 'service'. The speed is apalling, less than 10% of the line next to it.
Remember you have a 7 day cooling off period so cancel the service quickly or you will be stuck with a useless service for 18 months,
Plusnet should spend a bit less on advertising and employ a few more call centre staff.
AVOID PLUSNET
dick:red All caps title edited as per forum rule.
16 REPLIES 16
IanSn
Rising Star

Re: PLUSNET FIBRE - SLOWER THAN DIAL UP, AVOID

Huh Troll or twit?
Den1
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Plusnet Fibre - Slower than Dial Up, Avoid

Would it not have been better to have given plusnet a chance to fix the problem first, rather than slag them off.
demonix01
Grafter

Slower then dial up....

I think not.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Sadly yet another person who has no idea how the internet is delivered and does not realise that the control of SYNCH speed is entirely down to BTOR and their infrastructure.  That speed is not within the gift of any ISP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stylusnet

It's half the speed of the BT fibre line next to it. Enough said.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

So for some unaccountable reason you are not content with one fibre line supplied by BT and ordered a second one from Plusnet.  What are you going to do now?  You could ask BT for their fibre service on your second line but that's not going to make it any faster.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

There's clearly a fault and the engineer who was either a BT Openreach engineer which I doubt, or more likely one of the sub-contractors, possibly Kelly as they have the bad reputation, anyway, they did not do their job properly and that's not Plusnet's fault. They should have tested your connection with a JDSU, made sure the Modem was working correctly and then made sure you were able to connect to Plusnet before leaving.
Did you not read what you should expect from the Installation engineer and make sure they did it before leaving?
Anyway, whatever the fault is, it will be there when you connect to whoever you go to next. Roll_eyes
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: IanSn
  Huh Troll or twit?

Twit I think - I'll like to know how he gets 1Mb out of his dial-up, there's a lot of poor people on very long lines that don't get that on Broadband, so this super-dial-up would be a cure for them Lips_are_sealed
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: stylusnet
Plusnet should spend a bit less on advertising and employ a few more call centre staff.

yes - as 1000 is not enough. Hey man when I worked there I think there were about 80.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Clearly doesn't understand it's likely an issue with his line and will get the same problem whatever ISP he goes to, who will probably not put anywhere near as much effort into getting it sorted as Plusnet would have...
flexo1966
Grafter

You pay plusnet as your isp to service your contract. It is up to them to deal with your problem. If you buy a new car and it breaks down you complain to the garage not to the factory that built it. I feel plusnet do not have resources to service the amount of contracts that they have. This in turn has a knock-on effect when trying to sort problems, many of which are speed related. Simple things can be done like having compatible mac o/s software, a family filter and an online chat window might help reduce time waiting on the phone line. I cannot see any good in this opening of a ticket. They have to send an e-mail to say they have responded to a ticket, so why send send the details anyway ?
Hope they fix your problems anyway.
gswindale
Grafter

The problem is that PN do not have the ability to fix line issues - this has to go through BTOR.
This in turn leads to problems in that even if PN had 50 million support staff working for them; any line issues that needed fixing would still go to BTOR who are clearly the weakest link in the chain.
Frustrating for us as the consumer; but that is the way the industry was setup; so that is how it goes.
If BTOR had more resources; then PN wouldn't need so many & things would be dealt with quicker & more efficiently.
louialive
Grafter

Hopefully pn are making plenty of noise in complaining to btor for the problems they are causing  but I doubt it as they are part of Bt.
There needs to be more accountability and compensation to customers from btor/ISP when they fail customers. Btor are quick enough to slap in an invoice when they are inconvenienced with a fault call out not their problem
Look at what happens when airlines provide poor service, customers get compensation.
Anotherone
Champion

We wish - see my post here